Question RTX 2060 downlocking

vissarix

Jun 12, 2015
I play this game called Warface, its a free fps shooter and is quite light to run, my settings are all low so i can get more fps, i start playing the game and i have stable 360fps with rare dips, after little time my fps start dropping a bit, like to 200-240, i went to look at my gpuz and it shows my clock going up and down, i undervolt my gpu to 0.9v and my clock is 1900mhz, it holds that in the beginning before starting to go crazy and cause stuttering..

My temps are fine while playing the game max is 63C, my hot spot is around 75C, im not power throttling, and gpu utilization its not maxed either...

Ive tried different drivers and its the same thing, ive tried kboost and it still downlocks, the game become quite choppy when this starts to happen, it goes from 1900mhz to 1500 or even 1365mhz, and it keeps moving like crazy, is it possible to fix this?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I don't play it.

A quick look around yielded a player that says he fixed it by deleting the modelscash folder.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
What are your CPU temps like? Is it throttling?

Did this used to be ok and just suddenly start doing this, or has it always been like this for this game?

Do other games exhibit this issue?

vissarix

Jun 12, 2015
What are your CPU temps like? Is it throttling?

Did this used to be ok and just suddenly start doing this, or has it always been like this for this game?

Do other games exhibit this issue?
My cpu temps are 67 to 70c and it isnt throttling, i never had any problems before, but one day my game suddenly started lagging and fps dropped to 130 from 300+, i checked gpuz and the coreclock was 1365mhz and wasnt moving up or down, right now i dont another game but i will download and try if i have the same problems
I don't play it.

A quick look around yielded a player that says he fixed it by deleting the modelscash folder.
It took me sometime to find this modelcache, i deleted the folder, but it didnt fix anything

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Bummer. It appears this is an issue that has been hitting some players going back to 2017. The usual speculation about memory leaks, background processes running, temps, and turn it off and back on again, dominate the threads I saw.

Good luck, and post back if you get it running.

Reactions: vissarix

vissarix

Jun 12, 2015
Bummer. It appears this is an issue that has been hitting some players going back to 2017. The usual speculation about memory leaks, background processes running, temps, and turn it off and back on again, dominate the threads I saw.

Good luck, and post back if you get it running.
I downloaded OCCT to test the GPU and the core clock only drops by 15mhz when the temps get high, while testing the gpu was drawing like 220W, while gaming it only draws like 100W...

So its definitely an issue with the game, but i would like to find a way to make nvidia clocks hold stable clocks without those crazy up and downs, kboost should work but it doesnt in my case

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Have you tried lowering the power limit for the card in afterburner? Maybe at around 80-85% things will settle down.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I will give it a try, the gpu shouldnt downlock since it isnt hitting any thermal or power limit, it just feels weird

It can downclock if it thinks the load is going down. Such as the bottleneck being someplace else. Such as the CPU not being able to feed it, or some sort of content loading issue.

Reactions: vissarix

vissarix

Jun 12, 2015
It can downclock if it thinks the load is going down. Such as the bottleneck being someplace else. Such as the CPU not being able to feed it, or some sort of content loading issue.
The gpu utilization while gaming is around 35 to 65% max, but the thing is that the game works fine for a few rounds sometimes even 1 hour or more and then the gpu clock starts going crazy, cpu clocks are stable and they dont move, temps are low for both cpu and gpu