RTS games that use physics?

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
I used to play the Myth series awhile back. Both The Fallen Lords & Soulblighter are, IMO, the best RTS games ever made. I have never seen a RTS that has a good engine for fighting like this one. There is nothing like getting a few good molitovs or lightning strikes on your enemy infantry & watching their corpses explode into peices. The engine itself had some physics type effects... nothing extraordinary (for the time it was I think), shit like deflecting arrows with lightning bolts, dud bombs would stay on the field to be used, exploding corpses or course :), etc.

Are there any recent or newer (than Myth 1 & 2) RTS games that incorporate physics, ability to dodge projectiles, "micromanagement" style fighting, etc.???

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
IIRC, Rise of Legends uses Ageia PhysX and has realistically destroyed buildings and debris. Not sure if the PPU is required or if the game will let you run that in software mode.

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: KlokWyze
I used to play the Myth series awhile back. Both The Fallen Lords & Soulblighter are, IMO, the best RTS games ever made. I have never seen a RTS that has a good engine for fighting like this one. There is nothing like getting a few good molitovs or lightning strikes on your enemy infantry & watching their corpses explode into peices. The engine itself had some physics type effects... nothing extraordinary (for the time it was I think), shit like deflecting arrows with lightning bolts, dud bombs would stay on the field to be used, exploding corpses or course :), etc.

Are there any recent or newer (than Myth 1 & 2) RTS games that incorporate physics, ability to dodge projectiles, "micromanagement" style fighting, etc.???

Age of empires? I know in the second one you could dodge projectiles. In war3 you could dodge Catapults, but thats it.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Rise of Nations allows units to dodge, but getting them to do so is another story. Aside from the special forces/commandos/scouts and fighter jets, very few units are agile enough to effectively do so.

Edit: With the exception of cavalry and archers during the early ages.

Cellulose

May 14, 2007
AOE3 has good physics - but only on corpses and buildings - not really projectiles etc..

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Company of Heroes has some of the best environmental physics I've seen. That game is simply a joy to watch (and play).

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
What about Supreme Commander ? Just installed Forged Alliance, and it sure looks like it uses physics. Love watching planes get shot down over water, seeing the debris fall down in the see. And crashing airplanes do in fact damage buildings/units.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Knobjockey
AOE3 has good physics - but only on corpses and buildings - not really projectiles etc..

Ya, AoE 3 pretty much sold me cause of the physics. First RTS game I experienced (for the illiterate, note the "I") with physics.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Age of Empires 3 has really good physics; a game with that recently came out with earth shattering (no pun intended ;)) physics is Company of Heroes, the vanilla, and the Opposing Fronts are both very good examples of RTS games pushing hardware and gameplay.

Excellent titles, all three, and the Asian Dynasties is superb. WiC, not so much. You have nice graphics, but the physics is so so, and I would definitely say there are better options.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
In my opinion World in Conflict has a better physics implementation for projectiles than Company of Heroes, however CoH does look better.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: Zenoth
In my opinion World in Conflict has a better physics implementation for projectiles than Company of Heroes, however CoH does look better.

CoH is better in most any other way; when the troops are getting bombarded, the CoH Units scramble, and are pinned down, whereas in WiC, they just stand there like ducks drowning in the rain.

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
Company of Heroes sounds interesting. I didn't realize it was a RTS?!?!? Just watched a trailer... looks cool. Probably gonna get this... though it sucks thats a ww2 themed RTS. The most overused setting...

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
CoH is actually a really good WW2 RTS. It brings refreshment and evolution to the WW2 setting, and I was skeptical, but it is an amazing RTS, I'd say the WW2 setting helps them enhance the game.

RZaakir

Sep 19, 2003
Dude, get CoH. If you like RTS you won't be disappointed. It's also pretty cheap these days too.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Company of Heroes does some pretty cool stuff with its environments. I don't know whether it's the sort of physics you want, but it definitely comes into play. Destroyed vehicles can be used as cover for troops, vehicles can run over certain types of cover (sandbags, wire, low walls, some tanks can crush tank traps). Tanks can also take chunks out of buildings if they hit them, and their shells make holes where they're supposed to (and craters made from explosions can be used as cover too).

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
CoH was a good recommendation, but there is absolutely nothing like Myth. Let's get that straight. Don't bother even looking for something that recreates myths feel.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
World in conflict.

COH game engine always bugged me.
Its only 2.5d. It doesn't handle elevations well at all.
example : rocket level, they can stand on top of buildings and shoot your men through walls, stairs, objects.

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
Company of Heroes does some pretty cool stuff with its environments. I don't know whether it's the sort of physics you want, but it definitely comes into play. Destroyed vehicles can be used as cover for troops, vehicles can run over certain types of cover (sandbags, wire, low walls, some tanks can crush tank traps). Tanks can also take chunks out of buildings if they hit them, and their shells make holes where they're supposed to (and craters made from explosions can be used as cover too).

Dude I'm gonna get this shit, after I get through BFMEII (I know...)

Originally posted by: Skace
CoH was a good recommendation, but there is absolutely nothing like Myth. Let's get that straight. Don't bother even looking for something that recreates myths feel.

Exactly what I didn't want to hear... but it's the truth.

The story, style, very organic maps, unique units & style of play... nothing will come along unless Bungie would decide to maybe buy the license back up & do a remake or new one (after hell freezes over).

The thing is though... there are SO many mods for it, even single-player mods around that are WAY better than even Bungie's single player campaign. None really top that sinister, epic, badass story line, but the gameplay itself is fucking ace!

Thanks for all the advice, COH sounds good. Gonna check that shit out. Think my PC can run it @ medium/high settings smoothly?

Athlon XP 3000+ (about)
1GB DDR350 (about)
X1650PRO/512MB