RS apologizes for UVA rape story

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
"The failure encompassed reporting, editing, editorial supervision and fact-checking."

aren't those the pillars of journalism?

You missed the memo, they were replaced by, clicks, profits and sensationalism.

The old Rolling Stones would have lambasted the man for a: doing what they did and b: not firing anyone.

Those asking about liability, yes, it's likely going to be through the roof due to the gross negligence. I bet not firing the editor/author plays into the amount as well.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Not firing anybody could also be an attempt to make it seem less than it is, as in if they fired people it would be an admission of guilt.

What I've read is that the frat is considered a public figure making the suit harder to collect from. Not sure how that would relate to damages to individual members.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
"The failure encompassed reporting, editing, editorial supervision and fact-checking."

aren't those the pillars of journalism?

Well, yeah, but what does that have to do with Rolling Stone?

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
What I've read is that the frat is considered a public figure making the suit harder to collect from. Not sure how that would relate to damages to individual members.

Being a public figure can allow certain details of your life that would otherwise be private to be revealed for the sake of public interest. But only if the revelations are actually true, not libel. I don't think it's pertinent here.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Who expects anything less from Rolling Stone.

They have the Proggie hit piece guy in Matt Taibbi on their staff.

Fact finding be damned.

Has he been shown to write non fact-checked pieces, too?

I think perhaps you're just conflating the two for political reasons.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
After thinking about this after reading it. I don't think they really apologized. They made a shit ton of excuses on why they failed to do a basic investigation.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
After thinking about this after reading it. I don't think they really apologized. They made a shit ton of excuses on why they failed to do a basic investigation.

yup.

And they dont seem to be terribly sorry for ruining any lives either.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

Probably a bad idea legally to do a full mea culpa. They know they're going to get sued by several different parties and unconditionally admitting guilt would not help them negotiate the settlements.

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
You'd think that since the reporter, Sabrina Erdely, previously screwed up in the same manner with a fake story about priests raping an altar boy, she'd be more careful.

http://www.bigtrial.net/2014/12/before-rolling-stone-was-conned-by.html#FsSMUBMSDF60xxRx.99

In Philly, three priests and a school teacher wound up going to jail over Billy's story, which has since unraveled. One of those priests died in prison last month after he spent his last hours handcuffed to a hospital bed while suffering from untreated coronary disease.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
The case continues this week as the jury will consider damages and hear additional evidence from Eramo and her lawyers about how she was affected by the actions of Rolling Stone. Eramo originally asked for $7.5 million but can ask for a different sum after the verdict
Should be $100 million+, 7.5 million is nothing to them.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
You'd think that since the reporter, Sabrina Erdely, previously screwed up in the same manner with a fake story about priests raping an altar boy, she'd never get work again.
Edited to reflect my feelings.