RS apologizes for UVA rape story

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I did work for a national broadcaster but it was soft news, so I can't really comment about the print industry or what goes on with these investigative journalists. What surprises me is that the reporter didn't get thrown under the bus. I've seen people fired for far less than that. You'd think their legal team would be on it like white on rice. Especially when the company is potentially facing a pretty substantial libel suit. Likely internal politics that allowed her to keep her job. She probably knows somebody with a lot of clout.

So why did this slip past the editor? I have some theories.
1) The current political correctness mantra dictates that you should never second guess an alleged rape victim. If you do, you suddenly become the bad guy.

2) The editors saw a story that fit their political agenda a bit too perfectly. "Rape Culture" is the current social justice cause d'jeur, and RS is considered a left wing publication. They got a bit too excited and went off half cocked without checking their facts. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened. Certainly won't be the last.

It's gross negligence on their part.

The Columbia piece found they didn't do even basic fact checking. No interviewing anyone involved except for "the victim".

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Jann Wenner once fired an editor of the Rolling Stone for a negative review of a Hootie & the Blowfish album.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Does RS have any liability here? They basically damaged the reputations of a lot of people by publishing a lie and profited from it.

They have a whole shitload of liability here. The checks they eventually write to that frat and to UVa are going to have a LOT of zeroes on them.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
Rolling Stone used to have very high journalism standards.
But those days were long ago. Now its just another libtard propaganda machine. Cuz libtards are easier to appeal to with lazy writing and inflammatory articles. Thats what sells ad space.

Same is true with pretty much anything that was once old media but has been forced to transition to online to survive. The only way to compete against click bait is with click bait, and that won't change so long as they use purely ad based income models.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
The only way to compete against click bait is with click bait, and that won't change so long as they use purely ad based income models.

Yeah, because the internet invented yellow journalism. Oh wait. Renaming a thing does not make it a new thing. A rose by any other name...

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
Yeah, because the internet invented yellow journalism. Oh wait...

You really thought what I said implied that?

It's not specifically moving to the internet, it's moving to a purely ad-driven and link distributed model, even if the internet is needed to facilitate such a transition (meaning they could have stuck with subscriptions). And there's no question in my mind that several publications have lowered in journalistic integrity since then. That hardly means everyone was perfect beforehand but it's gotten worse.

And it's exactly what you'd expect. They care about getting as many clicks as possible, and they know that if the headline looks interesting people will click on it (from an image link on some other click bait farm) People pay a lot less attention to the source and are a lot less dedicated to it so there's a lot less to lose with any one bad article - that is, if the readers even catch on that it was bad.

Just look at the sheer volume of articles any of these sites pushes out today, it's far beyond what a print publication ever could have generated. With such a great volume comes a diminished ability to properly vet stories even if they want.

Last edited:

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001

It's not specifically moving to the internet, it's moving to a purely ad-driven and link distributed model, even if the internet is needed to facilitate such a transition (meaning they could have stuck with subscriptions). And there's no question in my mind that several publications have lowered in journalistic integrity since then. That hardly means everyone was perfect beforehand but it's gotten worse.

And it's exactly what you'd expect. They care about getting as many clicks as possible, and they know that if the headline looks interesting people will click on it (from an image link on some other click bait farm) People pay a lot less attention to the source and are a lot less dedicated to it so there's a lot less to lose with any one bad article - that is, if the readers even catch on that it was bad.

Just look at the sheer volume of articles any of these sites pushes out today, it's far beyond what a print publication ever could have generated. With such a great volume comes a diminished ability to properly vet stories even if they want.
they didn't interview anyone other than the "victim".

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006

Yeah, because rape on campus by a fraternity happens every 8 seconds...

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
Phi Kappa Psi, the fraternity at the heart of Rolling Stone's now-retracted December 2014 cover story "A Rape on Campus," will sue the magazine for publishing what it calls a "defamatory" and "reckless" story, according to the AP. In a public statement, the Virginia Alpha Chapter of Phi Kappa Psi said it plans to "pursue all available legal action against the magazine."
The frat alleges that the story resulted in its house being vandalized and its members being ostracized on campus. UVA Phi Kappa Psi president Stephen Scipione also said in the statement that the frat has become emblematic of the nationwide campus assault epidemic, despite the fact that Rolling Stone has retracted the story.
"Clearly our fraternity and its members have been defamed, but more importantly we fear this entire episode may prompt some victims to remain in the shadows, fearful to confront their attackers," Scipione said.
The news follows Columbia Journalism School's damning report of the editorial process behind "A Rape on Campus," which Rolling Stone acknowledged in a retraction statement was a "journalistic failure that was avoidable."
This is a breaking story and will be updated as we learn more.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/04/frat-suing-rolling-stone-for-defamatory-story.html

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
Who expects anything less from Rolling Stone.

They have the Proggie hit piece guy in Matt Taibbi on their staff.

Fact finding be damned.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
I spent 6 years at two different colleges and I don't know of a single person who was raped on either campus.

While I agree that any rape is bad and rapists should get the chair, I think that the definition they're using for rape in a lot of these cases is way too broad. Getting drunk and regretting it in the morning is not rape. Personal responsibility, people--if you don't want it, don't go upstairs.

This sounds like a case of an activist reporter trying to make a name for herself by being blind to whatever doesn't conform to her political opinion.

Last edited:

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Big question is will the damaged parties be able to sue for enough to make Rolling Stones action unprofitable enough that it discourages repeating?

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Oh well..

At least I can look forward to Seventeen magazine's article on the Rise of Islamic State this month. It's right after the article on how to get GLAM HAIR and FAB NAILS for Prom.

:thumbsup:

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
"The failure encompassed reporting, editing, editorial supervision and fact-checking."

aren't those the pillars of journalism?