RPG games for kids?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex
unless he owns the actual carts/cds for those games, isn't downloading and using the roms illegal?
SNESs are cheap. They're also available on the Playstation in CD form. It's not computer, but they're good, kid-friendly RPGs regardless.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Damn.. the last thing an 8 year old needs is an RPG. Put their asses outside. Don't start that addiction so young!!!!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The plots of KOTOR 1 and 2 might be a little over the head of an average 8 year old. The game mechanics would CERTAINLY be too much for them, unless by chance he's playing D&D right now?

Final Fantasy 7 and 8 have Windows versions, but 8 stinks and 7 has serious technical issues.
You can find several graphics fixes online that not only enchance the visuals, but make the game run better in WinXP with more modern 3D cards.

Lego Star Wars 1 and 2 are both good PC games. They are actually ported console games and not really good RPG's but they are great fun for kids and adults alike.

Septerra Core and Evil Islands are OK too, but damned if I know where you can find copies.

I dont think you will have much luck. PC games are more grown-up in general and RPG's even moreso. If you really want to get such a young kid into RPG's I highly recommend starting with Hero Quest, followed by Descent: Journey into the Dark, and then the D&D Basic Box. Once they get used to dungeon crawling you can introduce them to actual role-playing.

www.RolePlayingTips.com has advice for such things.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
If you really want to get such a young kid into RPG's ....

I am not understanding why a parent would want their child to "get into" RPGs? I mean, what parent would want their child "into" video games at all? I can understand a little bit of gaming for kids, but you are talking serious commitment with RPGs.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
Originally posted by: spittledip

I am not understanding why a parent would want their child to "get into" RPGs? I mean, what parent would want their child "into" video games at all? I can understand a little bit of gaming for kids, but you are talking serious commitment with RPGs.

lmao, at least in rpg's there is a lot of reading, probably the only semi useful thing out of any video game.

Tarrant64

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2004
Originally posted by: jandrews
Originally posted by: spittledip

lmao, at least in rpg's there is a lot of reading, probably the only semi useful thing out of any video game.

Reading, some strategy, and sometimes some serious thinking depending on the RPG. And good story lines. They should be reading books, but some RPG's are just as good.

Just time consuming. I played RPG's when I was a kid, still do. I also spent my time outside a lot too. RPG's were for hot/rainy/cold/snow days.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
You get your kid into RPG's for the same reason you get them into music.
It works their brain in an unusual way and helps increase IQ. You may need a different sort of encouragement to start them off but kids usually stick with RPGs on their own, whereas music they want to give up at least twice a year.

The only problem is deciding whether you want your kid to be a band geek or a wizard. Either way, he's not getting any till after college. :D