Roy Moore running for Senate in AL again

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
MONTGOMERY, Ala. — Roy S. Moore, the polarizing Alabama Republican whose Senate campaign in 2017 was fueled by his reputation as a champion of the evangelical right and then derailed by allegations of sexual misconduct, said Thursday that he would seek a rematch next year.

His decision was an unsurprising act of overt defiance toward many of his party’s national leaders, including President Trump, who recently publicly warned him away from another Senate bid. Republican officials fear that Mr. Moore, were he to win the party’s nomination in March, risks their prospects of defeating the Democratic incumbent, Senator Doug Jones, and recapturing a seat they long controlled with ease.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/20/us/politics/roy-moore-running-again.html

You just can't keep a good conservative southern man (who has been tossed from state Supreme Court twice and lost a senate bid to a Dem in ALABAMA) down.

Though you can apparently keep him out of the mall food court.

Reactions: Aegeon and Zorba

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
No joke, when asked what he would do differently he said he'd like to make more personal contact with people.

lol. I'm not kidding.

Reactions: UNCjigga

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Remember though guys, Doug Jones barely won in a historically good year for Democrats. If Moore becomes the nominee again there's a good shot he'll win.

Reactions: cytg111

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
Release the squirrels!

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure Moore won't win the primary this time. Which I'm of two minds on. On one hand, he's Jones' best shot at re-election. On the other hand, should Moore win the primary, I don't particularly trust this state to not vote him into office over Jones this time around. On the gripping hand, I'm not sure Moore would actually be any worse to have on Capitol Hill than a stock GOPbot.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
I thought that there was a chance that he'd finally see the light, either metaphorically or literally, after his 2017 loss. Another candidacy by this pretentious pedophile is exactly what my state DOESN'T need, win or lose.

He was already removed from office TWICE for not following the very same law that this "fruit salad" swore an oath to uphold. If he gets into the senate, expect the same kind of circus, on a weekly basis.

Cliff's Notes: No. No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no....

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Release the squirrels!

You don't mess with our meth-addicted attack squirrels! Yes, for anyone wondering, that is a thing in the news here.

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure Moore won't win the primary this time. Which I'm of two minds on. On one hand, he's Jones' best shot at re-election. On the other hand, should Moore win the primary, I don't particularly trust this state to not vote him into office over Jones this time around. On the gripping hand, I'm not sure Moore would actually be any worse to have on Capitol Hill than a stock GOPbot.

The only way he would lose is if there's someone else running who can espouse enough religious rhetoric to pull in the evangelical base. I think that's really the problem. I'm sure he'll get opponents that have evangelical leanings, but none of them will likely be as radical as he is.

Remember though guys, Doug Jones barely won in a historically good year for Democrats. If Moore becomes the nominee again there's a good shot he'll win.

The thing is... I don't think Jones has really had enough of a splash to necessarily piss off anybody. At this point, the only thing you can likely use against him is that 'D' by his name. Although, to be honest, that's enough for plenty of people in Alabama.

I wouldn't mind seeing Jones getting some competition. There was that one guy who went up against Shelby in the 2018 elections who actually looked pretty decent. Unfortunately, as you can guess by suggesting him, he did lose to Shelby, but beating Shelby is a far harder task than Moore.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
You don't mess with our meth-addicted attack squirrels! Yes, for anyone wondering, that is a thing in the news here.
True, but this snake is running for Senate instead of slithering around Tuscaloosa. The meth squirrel would still make a better senator than Moore.

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
The thing is... I don't think Jones has really had enough of a splash to necessarily piss off anybody. At this point, the only thing you can likely use against him is that 'D' by his name. Although, to be honest, that's enough for plenty of people in Alabama.
I don't know. There are plenty of GOP voters here who care more about loyalty to Trump than they do about evangelical rhetoric.

I wouldn't mind seeing Jones getting some competition. There was that one guy who went up against Shelby in the 2018 elections who actually looked pretty decent. Unfortunately, as you can guess by suggesting him, he did lose to Shelby, but beating Shelby is a far harder task than Moore.
You mean Crumpton in 2016? Meh. He got the same 35% that *every* Democratic candidate gets in Alabama.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
You mean Crumpton in 2016? Meh. He got the same 35% that *every* Democratic candidate gets in Alabama.

Ah, I messed up my election. I meant Roy Moore vs. Peter Joffrion in 2018.

Although, Alabama voters are kind of weird. I like to take a look at two of the amendments in 2018 as they show a sizeable difference in what you'd expect to be somewhat similar. Amendment 1 dealt with displaying the Ten Commandments on state property in a "historical manner", and it passed with about ~72% of the vote. On the other hand, Amendment 2 dealt with sanctity of unborn life, and it passed with about ~59% of the vote. (Both had about the same amount of total votes at around 1.5 million.) I thought it was interesting that there would even be a 13% difference between the two.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
From the great state of alabama, where a 12 year old knocked up by her daddy will go to prison for life if she gets an abortion. They really are proud of their inbreeding.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
There were some serious allegations against Moore that rightfully helped Jones win but were also seemingly forgotten. He may even use that to his advantage.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Roy, do what you want to Alabama, just leave the horse out of it this time.

The pederast track record is bad enough, let's not throw in animal cruelty.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I’m pretty sure McConnell’s designated pick will wipe the floor with him in the primary.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
I’m pretty sure McConnell’s designated pick will wipe the floor with him in the primary.
I’m sure early on Big Luther shared a similar confidence.
What we have to hope is Mconnells pick does wipe the floor Moore and the be decides to run as an independent which splits the conservative, evangelical pedophile vote allowing the dem to win

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
What we have to hope is Mconnells pick does wipe the floor Moore and the be decides to run as an independent which splits the conservative, evangelical pedophile vote allowing the dem to win

If Moore loses the primary he can’t run as an independent for the same seat due to Alabama’s sore loser law.

If he wins the nom the GOP will of course support him again.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
If Moore loses the primary he can’t run as an independent for the same seat due to Alabama’s sore loser law.

If he wins the nom the GOP will of course support him again.

Crap. Didn’t know that.