Rove Regrets Banner on USS Lincoln

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Strk
Originally posted by: etech
Originally posted by: nutxo
It's a shame that our guys in the military cant even take pride in thier accomplishments without the whackos making a mountain out of a molehill :disgust:

Yep, even here they won't let the military guys enjoy their moment.

It's a shame.

We did let the military enjoy their moment. However, since then there have been over 500 American deaths, over 100 non-American coalition forces dead, and even more wounded.

Call me crazy, but the "moment" to play dress-up has passed.

play dress up? wow, now that is some lack of respect for people who fight and die for our liberty.

Don't blame the liberals for taking away the memory of bush's victory dance. Blame the iraqis for fighting.
Have you considered that the time that people are upset about this for is after our stunning military defeat Iraq's army? something that has little to do with the current terrorist attacks against our people.

a mission isn't a war, and i don't see battle ships doing anything in the way of 'missions' in regards to invading Iraq any more.

BugsBunny1078

Banned
Jan 11, 2004
If the ship accomplished their mission then they did. The ships mission wasn't to defeat all the terrorists in the maintaining control phase of the Iraqi War. Maybe the sign meant defeating Iraq well that part was done. Iraq is defeated.
The people who are fighting now are not military but terrorists and civilian hostiles. You can't even tell who is who until they start taking shots at you. That is why it cannot be won. We either have to kill every single Iraqi or get the heck out.
Any one of them sonsabitches can pull out a gun and start taking potshots at any time now, just like happened in Vietnam.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: BugsBunny1078
If the ship accomplished their mission then they did. The ships mission wasn't to defeat all the terrorists in the maintaining control phase of the Iraqi War. Maybe the sign meant defeating Iraq well that part was done. Iraq is defeated.
The people who are fighting now are not military but terrorists and civilian hostiles. You can't even tell who is who until they start taking shots at you. That is why it cannot be won. We either have to kill every single Iraqi or get the heck out.
Any one of them sonsabitches can pull out a gun and start taking potshots at any time now, just like happened in Vietnam.

When did Bush point out that the mission accomplished meant nothing more then that one ship was coming home? I don't think that anyone believed that the speech was just to say what bush is claim it means now.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
The sign was there for the troops onboard not for the cameras. I thought that was obvious.

Lol the whole thing was just a photo-op and you think the sign was for the sailors?

Zephyr106

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
Originally posted by: LordMagnusKain
It's a shame that our guys in the military cant even take pride in thier accomplishments without the whackos making a mountain out of a molehill :disgust:

Yep, even here they won't let the military guys enjoy their moment.

It's a shame.

We did let the military enjoy their moment. However, since then there have been over 500 American deaths, over 100 non-American coalition forces dead, and even more wounded.

Call me crazy, but the "moment" to play dress-up has passed.

play dress up? wow, now that is some lack of respect for people who fight and die for our liberty.

Don't blame the liberals for taking away the memory of bush's victory dance. Blame the iraqis for fighting.
Have you considered that the time that people are upset about this for is after our stunning military defeat Iraq's army? something that has little to do with the current terrorist attacks against our people.

a mission isn't a war, and i don't see battle ships doing anything in the way of 'missions' in regards to invading Iraq any more.

Play dress up seems to be referring to Bush dressing up. Unless he was personally fighting and dying for our liberty in this latest war.

Zephyr

May 10, 2001
Play dress up seems to be referring to Bush dressing up. Unless he was personally fighting and dying for our liberty in this latest war
not one word of the line i quoted said bush; BUT the subject at hand was 'the military guys'; the stipulation of bush would have made it at least a little less disrespectfully toward the country.

When did Bush point out that the mission accomplished meant nothing more then that one ship was coming home?
so he should know that your going to misunderstand what the banner says? what exactly is your objection to this banner?

jahawkin

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000
The sign was there for the troops onboard not for the cameras. I thought that was obvious.

And that's why they waited for the sun to be setting so the light was perfect for cameras.....errrr troops onboard.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Originally posted by: jahawkin

He didn't take a fighter to the ship.

Next

OK then what do you call a jet plane??

LOL. Calling a s3-b a fighter is like calling a dodge caravan a top fuel funny car.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
On a side note.

I was once flown to my ship on a COD flight as were other people returning from leave and such after ship movement. It's a common practice. mail flights come in daily usually so it probably had mail as well as the pres on the plane.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Next

Well a 747 is a jet plane, would you call that a fighter?

A A340 is a jet plane, would you call that a fighter?

I call a jet plane, a plane that uses jets as its propulsion. What do you call them?

jahawkin

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000

Next

I call a jet plane, a plane that uses jets as its propulsion. What do you call them?

The point (which seems to be lost with you or one which you don't want to address) is that there was no need for Bush to take a s3-b or whatever jet plane it was onto the carrier.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001

Next

The point (which seems to be lost with you or one which you don't want to address) is that there was no need for Bush to take a s3-b or whatever jet plane it was onto the carrier.

Actually I think you illustrate a point rather eloquently. Liberals will whine about anything as long as it enables them to express thier irrational hatred for Bush.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Etech:

Are you saying this wasn't a publicity stunt by Bush? Didn't Rove's staff order the sign? Hmm.... I've been on a few military ships that have docked and I don't recall the President providing us with a sign. :)

-Robert

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

Next

Yep, another evasion. I think it's quite telling that out of all this:
  • "If that were the case why didn't the white house just come out and say that, instead of saying that the carriers course would not be changed. Why not let it into port and hold the soldiers on the dock instead of keeping it out in sea just so Bush could take a fighter out there? And why take a fighter when the ship was close enough for a helicopter?

"It was a glorified photo-op. Bush could have easily visited the ship and gave the troops the same thanks without the fighter, without delaying their arrival, and most importantly without lying about it."
his only objection was to the word "fighter". I guess that means the rest of it -- the substance -- is accurate. It was a glorified photo-op that delayed the arrival of the Lincoln and the reunions of its crew with their loved ones, and the administration did lie about it.

But let's be crystal clear about one piece of vile liberal propaganda: it was NOT a fighter! Mission Accomplished! We are done with major combat operations in Iraq!

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003

I'm referring to one man who was playing dress up on that day. There is quite a difference between throwing on a uniform for a photo op(although it probably did provide a little bit of a moral boost, which is good) and wearing the uniform to do your job. I was not referring to those in the latter part, only the former. However, if you want to put words into my mouth, go right ahead.

May 10, 2001

Next

I didn't know that having the leader come out to congratulate the men in person was immoral.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Actually I think you illustrate a point rather eloquently. Liberals will whine about anything as long as it enables them to express thier irrational hatred for Bush.
... while the Bush fanboys will endorse anything their Commissar in Chief does, no matter how reckless or dishonest or transparently self-serving.

jahawkin

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000

Yep, no need to address the issue at hand.
rolleye.gif

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
I'm referring to one man who was playing dress up on that day. There is quite a difference between throwing on a uniform for a photo op(although it probably did provide a little bit of a moral boost, which is good) and wearing the uniform to do your job. I was not referring to those in the latter part, only the former. However, if you want to put words into my mouth, go right ahead.
I can't remember where I saw it, but someone suggested the Dems should have a campaign ad featuring a picture of Bush in the flight suit next to a picture of Kerry in uniform. The captions under each photo:

(Bush) - Playing dress up
(Kerry) - The real thing

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Damn you people are dense!

Did the Lincoln crew accomplish THEIR mission? YES
Did Bushies provide the "Mission Accomplished" banner? YES
Did Bushies initially lie about the banner? YES
Does Bush have a responsibility to visit the Lincoln, congratulate the troops, and welcome them home? YES
Did Bush choose to use the S3B instead of a helicopter for personal and/or political reasons? YES
Did Bushies intend to imply "Mission Accomplished" referred to Bush policy in Iraq? Probably
Did Bushies delay the return of the Lincoln to facilitate a superior photo-op? YES

Is it abundantly apparent that Bushies don't really give a poo about the crew of the Lincoln . . .
"I wish the banner was not up there," said White House political strategist Karl Rove (search). "I'll acknowledge the fact that it has become one of those convenient symbols."

Last October, Bush said the White House had nothing to do with the banner; a spokesman later clarified that the ship's crew asked for the sign and the White House staff had it made by a private vendor. It wasn't clear who paid for the sign.
Now that's a damn interesting use of the word "clarify".

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
I can't remember where I saw it, but someone suggested the Dems should have a campaign ad featuring a picture of Bush in the flight suit next to a picture of Kerry in uniform. The captions under each photo:

(Kerry) - The real thing

I think it was a former Canadian PM on Bill Maher.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Bowfinger

(Kerry) - The real thing

But Bow! Bush is a "war pressshident" - he said so!