Rove and Mehlman are now "informal" advisors to McCain

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
I'm wondering if McCain's slogan will be something like:

"Vote for McCain and get 4 more years of Bush"

It might as well be, he seems to be surrounding himself with his entire election staff. Makes me think that Cheney might make a return to the defense department in a McCain administration?

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0308/8911.html

John McCain is getting much more than President Bush's endorsement and fundraising help for his campaign. He?s getting Bush's staff.

It?s no secret that Steve Schmidt, Bush?s attack dog in the 2004 election, and Mark McKinnon, the president?s media strategist, are performing similar functions for McCain now.

But other big-name Bushies are lining up to boost McCain, too.

Ken Mehlman, who ran Bush?s 2004 campaign, is now serving as an unpaid, outside adviser to the Arizona Republican. Karl Rove, the president?s top political hand since his Texas days, recently gave money to McCain and soon after had a private conversation with the senator. A top McCain adviser said both Mehlman and Rove are now informally advising the campaign. Rove refused to detail his conversation with McCain.

The list could grow longer. Dan Bartlett, formerly a top aide in the Bush White House, and Sara Taylor, the erstwhile Bush political adviser, said they are eager to provide any assistance and advice possible to McCain.

Rove explained that he and McCain ?got to know each other during the 2004 campaign.? In a separate interview, Mehlman noted that ?McCain was completely loyal to the president in 2004 and worked incredibly hard to help him get elected.? According to Taylor, ?The Bush Republicans here in town are excited for John McCain.?

Despite the president?s low approval ratings, there are clear benefits to McCain for this cozy relationship with the Bush team. They are seasoned operatives with a track record of winning back-to-back national elections in tough political environments. But there are obvious drawbacks. First and foremost, any association with the Bush administration helps Democrats make their case that McCain represents a clear extension of an unpopular presidency.

One of those making that argument is Matt Dowd, Bush?s chief strategist in 2004.

?[McCain] has sided himself so closely to the administration, especially on Iraq, now having various Bush advisers ? that doesn?t sit well with the public,? said Dowd, who has recently broken with the Bush inner circle. ?The public wants the non-Bush candidate.?

Dowd also argued that he believes that the proximity of Bush?s advisers could lead McCain to a strategic mistake: refighting the 2004 campaign. ?There is a real danger of that,? Dowd added. ?And I think some of the things John McCain has done, and how he?s done it, has been a fight or a battle that?s gone. I don?t think this is going to be a terrorism election or a national security election.?

The McCain adviser said Dowd's concern is unwarranted, pointing to the campaign?s belief that the economy will play a far greater role in the 2008 race than it did in 2004.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
It is hard to argue Rove's ability. Got GWB re-elected in 04 when it should have been a cakewalk for the democrats.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87
It is hard to argue Rove's ability. Got GWB re-elected in 04 when it should have been a cakewalk for the democrats.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Rove is truly a master at what he does and obviously the rest of the staff members bring a lot of battle tested experience.

Let's hope that the country is as tired of it in the GE as they appear to be in the dem primary and break the cycle though.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
what does informally advising mean?

they're having daily conference calls together? he's consulting rove? rove wrote McCain a letter once?

I'm starting to hate all these blind-item McCain stories.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Good f****** luck. If you compare Democratic participation in 2004 to this year, there is no comparison. Voter mobilization is at a record high. History has shown low-turnout favors Republicans, and high-turnout favors Democrats.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: loki8481

they're having daily conference calls together? he's consulting rove? rove wrote McCain a letter once?

My experience has been that "informally advising" means running things as if you were the top person on the payroll but not taking the pay or title so as to not sully the person that you are advising because you have a stigma attached to you that would completely drop the advisee popularity points.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Genx87

Stop reminding us! ;)

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong

My experience has been that "informally advising" means running things as if you were the top person on the payroll but not taking the pay or title so as to not sully the person that you are advising because you have a stigma attached to you that would completely drop the advisee popularity points.

IDK, but personally I think it means just what it says. I.e., McCain occasionally talks to Rove to bounce ideas around etc

I'm inclined to believe that McCain already has his own trusted advisors.

There are only so many advisors one can listen to.

I also suspect McCain is establishing relationships with these people in an effort to bring in the Repub establishment.

Fern

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Good f****** luck. If you compare Democratic participation in 2004 to this year, there is no comparison. Voter mobilization is at a record high. History has shown low-turnout favors Republicans, and high-turnout favors Democrats.

Wait and see what those high turnouts do when Shilldog stays in it to the end...

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
The one message of the GOP primaries seems to be a rejection of the existing GOP leadership by the GOP electorate. On one hand, McCain's co opting of his former foes, namely GOP swiftboating of McCain, is somewhat of a nothing. Rove and Mehlman can no longer swiftboat McCain without cutting their own throats, and the damage done to McCain by Limbaugh and right wing radio remains because it fragmented the GOP base.

The real question is what will MCCain do if Rove and Mehman try to swiftboat the dem. The American electorate has already had a bellyful of Swiftboating, and either McCain will assert GOP leadership by opposing GWB policies before 11/2008, or McCain will go down with GWB&co.

Swiftboating did not work against Bill Clinton, and Obama has more charisma. If Iraqi violence flares up or the economy tanks, McCain is doomed. And as ethics questions against GWB mount over executive privilege, McCain will lose all of his moral high ground if he allows swiftboating.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong

Wow, you must not have any experience whatsoever.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Originally posted by: Lemon law
The one message of the GOP primaries seems to be a rejection of the existing GOP leadership by the GOP electorate. On one hand, McCain's co opting of his former foes, namely GOP swiftboating of McCain, is somewhat of a nothing. Rove and Mehlman can no longer swiftboat McCain without cutting their own throats, and the damage done to McCain by Limbaugh and right wing radio remains because it fragmented the GOP base.

The real question is what will MCCain do if Rove and Mehman try to swiftboat the dem. The American electorate has already had a bellyful of Swiftboating, and either McCain will assert GOP leadership by opposing GWB policies before 11/2008, or McCain will go down with GWB&co.

Swiftboating did not work against Bill Clinton, and Obama has more charisma. If Iraqi violence flares up or the economy tanks, McCain is doomed. And as ethics questions against GWB mount over executive privilege, McCain will lose all of his moral high ground if he allows swiftboating.

Nope; I would bet that while we here on this forum know what "swiftboating" is, can spot it, and ignore it, the "average American voter" will still eat that shit up.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Big Mac working hard to make it difficult for the anti Obama crowd to vote for him :(