Router suggestions for new apartment

Aholeinthewor1d

Sep 27, 2015
So I will be moving in about a week and I am trying to figure out which router to purchase. I will be getting a 25mbps internet plan with a local ISP (RCN) and plan to use their cable modem.
Apartment: Basement is where I planned on putting the router and the apartment is just the first floor above that. Not a big apartment. From front to back it's living room, bedroom, kitchen, office in the back.

Devices: in the living room will be a PC connected to the TV for downloading movies and Netflix. If speeds are good I will use wi-fi but its not big deal to run an Ethernet cable up. The office computer will be hard wired because I work from home and it's required. I have a smartphone and macbook pro that both support wireless ac and my girlfriend has an older laptop which does not.

For now I will just be using the internet and not doing any kind of file sharing. Small chance I will mess around with that later on. Is there a point in getting a wireless ac router with only 25 Mbps internet. I know it would help with home networking but other than that what are the benefits? Will my ac devices be any faster than now? Currently have the same 25mbps plan and wireless n router now.

Router reviews aren't to much of a help because I know every house is different. I saw the TP-Link wdr3600 is rated as a very good "cheap" router and it's about $50 new.
I could also get the TP-Link Archer c7 for about $60-70 used.

Is the c7 overkill for my needs and small apartment? I do want a router that supports dd wrt. I have never messed with it but I might at some point. Any suggestions would be awesome. Let me know if you need any more details.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
There's no reason not to future-proof your network when the price disparity is so small. Get the AC router.

Aholeinthewor1d

Sep 27, 2015
There's no reason not to future-proof your network when the price disparity is so small. Get the AC router.

Thanks for the response. I guess what I meant is for my needs is a 20-30 dollar router fine? Am I going to get any better speeds with my ac devices and a ac router with only 25mbps internet

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Thanks for the response. I guess what I meant is for my needs is a 20-30 dollar router fine? Am I going to get any better speeds with my ac devices and a ac router with only 25mbps internet

No, you won't get better internet speed with the AC router.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Beamforming makes a difference, so does number of antenna on multi device access.