Router Malware? Unknown problem never encountered before.

relapse71

Sep 16, 2008
Ok, so check this strange problem out. My wife's laptop, running windows 7, suddenly runs at a snails pace. Turns on, and then it takes about 5 minutes to open the first program, any program. Internet almost unusable, slow, but using it now to write this message, so intermittent. Thought maybe the HD was going out after I ran kaspersky antivirus and windows defender and they came up clean (but took forever, everything takes 5 times as long as normal). So, then she takes it to another house. Runs fine. Takes it home, runs slow. It's gotta be some crazy malware right? That only can connect to my home router? Frustrated and ready to wipe the thing out.

Last edited:

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Try booting the laptop with a Linux live CD before you do anything. If it runs properly, you'll know it is Windows and not a physical hardware problem. It would also be good to run a diagnostic on the hard drive.

Have you checked the system log for errors?

jolancer

Sep 6, 2004
If your positive the hole computer works normally when not connected to your internet... maybe just changing your routers MAC address and also the Passwords will fix the problem

re: also the Passwords(you do have Security Enabled on your router? or you one of those who leave it open for anyone to use?)

Also just some random tips i came across after i found out that its not that difficault to hack WPA/2 and WEP passwords these days... Disable WSP if your router has it and you dont use it. And create a randomly LONG mixture of non words as your passwords, unrememberable, but just right them down.. because the security risks are more from hacking the password then people finding it written down somewere, and even then knowing what its for... example my router password looks something like this for as long as many charecters as it lets me input = sh64ge10deh8ve2bu5etc etc complete randome BS

EDIT: oh yeah, just unplug your modem for a minute after changing your routers MAC address... then plug them both back in, cause the MAC essentially changes your wan IP... Also you could also try monitoring a Firewall on her computer if you dont have one already, will allow you to see all incoming or outging traffic and block watever you want. I dont have recomendations, i just use Sygate firewall but im guessing it maybe dated cause iv been using it a long time lol but it does wat i want

Last edited:

relapse71

Sep 16, 2008
I changed the password in both windows and router settings. My computer works fine, but my wife's laptop still will not. You start the computer, and it's too slow to almost use. When I unplug the router, her computer works fine. Should I try to change the MAC address, is this easy and safe, and do I have to change this on both computers? What else should I try, and, have I been hacked?

Edit: I changed the MAC address, no luck, still freezes and/or slows down the computer. I changed the MAC address on the local connection only.

Last edited:

relapse71

Sep 16, 2008
I don't understand the last comment, but all I know is, I did what was suggested above, and the laptop will not work when connected to the internet. Everything is slowed down so much it's unusable. If the internet is disconnected or the computer is taken to another household, the computer runs fine. Any more suggestions? Does it need to be reformatted? Maybe send it in to the company?

denis280

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2011
this is what i should asked for. do you have other computer connected to the router.and if the computer is running fine in another house then it's not the computer.

jolancer

Sep 6, 2004
I think you miss understood something... and i could be wrong but i think you will NOT need to reformat it or anything.

The passwords i was refering to were the WPA/WEP(whichever you use) security connection settings for the router. And the Routers MAC. the local area connection MAC is or own PC's local LAN it wont change anything...

Dont take this personally, your not the only one out there probably with settings like this, but if i were to guess by your responses, you may simply just be having some basic issues with understanding your routers settings.... My own computer has the same issue if the DHCP or security settings are outa wack on my router, it will slow the computer to a crawl cause the Network driver is locking up or something.

It may not be a security issue at all, maybe just wrong settings... or some routers even sometimes have randome issues if there firmware is out of date, Resetting the router though often temporarily fixes those issues if you dont know how or cant update its firmware.

If you have option in your Router to Change the MAC and the Connection password then might as well while your at it to be safe.

EDIT: im pritty sure one of these will fix your issue...
> reset the router
> reset the internet connection setting on her laptop and start over
> change the routers MAC, an reset both router and Modem
> update routers firmware

Last edited:

Smoove910

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2006
can you ping loopback (127.0.0.1) with your wife's computer? If so, can you ping each other? I would try to have the DHCP server on the router reassign a new IP address to your wifes computer. Easy to do...

Open dos window
type ipconfig /release
type ipconfig /renew