Question Router issue/hacked?

tvfreak

Nov 30, 2013
So, yesterday I got a warning on my phone that my wifi network might have suspicious activity.

I discounted it from it. I got an email from netgear a few days ago that there is a update for my router (nighthawk x6s ac4000).

When updated I figured it was fine and connected to my wifi. I haven't got that warning until tonight when I got back from work.

So I'm not computer savvy but my roommate gets it more than I.

So what are options? Do I need to disconnect it and reset everything and start over?
How can I find this suspicious activity?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
This is more than likely some sort of malware on your phone. There has been a huge uptick in hacking attempts in the last month or so.

I would reset it and start from scratch but something tells me the problem will still persist as it's something on your phone.

tvfreak

Nov 30, 2013
This is more than likely some sort of malware on your phone. There has been a huge uptick in hacking attempts in the last month or so.

I would reset it and start from scratch but something tells me the problem will still persist as it's something on your phone.
Not disagreeing with u, but what makes u think it's my phone, rather than my router?

Thanks

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Router will not inform you anything unless it provides such feature.

Router is supposed to doing it's routing job quietly and nothing else.

tvfreak

Nov 30, 2013
Router will not inform you anything unless it provides such feature.

Router is supposed to doing it's routing job quietly and nothing else.
Thanks.
Damn what could it be on my phone that could be causing this?

I guess I can download a free virus scan and c what it could be.
Or maybe it's an app. I just recently downloaded an ebay app a few days ago. Other than that I'm not sure what else.

tvfreak

Nov 30, 2013
I did to forget to mention I also updated my phone to android 10.
I have a samsung s9 plus .

My carrier is metro pcs (which is owned by T mobile).

tvfreak

Nov 30, 2013
And I forgot to mention, I dont get this warning when I'm connected at my works wifi network.
Wouldnt I might get the same warning?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
OK. Found that your Netgear Nighthawk router provides iOS/Android APP. That's why you got message from the APP when you are at home connecting to your router.

Open your APP and see exactly which device your Netgear detected has suspicious activity. Or head to Netgear forum.

Reactions: tvfreak

tvfreak

Nov 30, 2013
OK. Found that your Netgear Nighthawk router provides iOS/Android APP. That's why you got message from the APP when you are at home connecting to your router.

Open your APP and see exactly which device your Netgear detected has suspicious activity. Or head to Netgear forum.
But my didnt say the "hello test".
I'm on my works wifi network with no warnings.
But when I get home and if I get that warning I'll make sure to get a screen shot of it.

Hopefully its nothing serious.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Forget about the Helo Test. I just used that as an example telling you the suspicious activity message you received was from the Nighthawk APP.

tvfreak

Nov 30, 2013
Forget about the Helo Test. I just used that as an example telling you the suspicious activity message you received was from the Nighthawk APP.
Oh ok.
Well anyhow when I get that message I'll take a screenshot shot of it.

But this happened before I downloaded the nighthawk app.

That's what made me update my router.

tvfreak

Nov 30, 2013
Ok I connected to my wifi router and I got this message fairly quickly .

Any thoughts?
de27469ca1f8168622a2e7fb68b30027.jpg

Jayne: If I could make you prettier, I would!
Mal: You are not the man I married a year ago

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
I remember a family member and a friend seeing that. At 1st I thought it was just a Samsung security app, but my friend was using a Motorola. It could be just some sort of security/virus app running on your phone.

However, this is a good time for you to check your WiFi network. Update your router's firmware to the latest and if it didn't get one since roughly 2018, it's time to buy a new one.

tvfreak

Nov 30, 2013
So what is it? I have asome sort of virus on my phone?
This only happened when I updated to android 10 a few days ago.

Again this only happens when connect to my wifi router. Not here at work

I'll run a virus scanner

tvfreak

Nov 30, 2013
That specific message appears to be coming from Samsung's Secure-Wifi app, according to Google.
Where would I find this app? I don't c it on my phone.
Thanks by the way

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
It could be that after you updating the firmware, the Nighthawk APP or your Samsung S9 think you got a new router and trying to connect to it. "the_real_pentagon" is your router's own SSID, correct?

You can just add it back to the trusted network (Add to exception).

Or if you are paranoid, you either forget you network "the_real_pentagon", uninstall then reinstall Nighthawk APP or do both, and add "the_real_pentagon" back to trusted network.

Don't think it's a real security alert.

Last edited:

tvfreak

Nov 30, 2013
It could be that after you updating the firmware, the Nighthawk APP or your Samsung S9 think you got a new router and trying to connect to it. "the_real_pentagon" is your router's own SSID, correct?

You can just add it back to the trusted network (Add to exception).

Or if you are paranoid, you either forget you network "the_real_pentagon", uninstall then reinstall Nighthawk APP or do both, and add "the_real_pentagon" back to trusted network.

Don't think it's a real security alert.
Yes the real Pentagon is my routers SSID.
Thanks for the help.