Roughin' it.

MiranoPoncho

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2004
Currentley, I face a dilemma: game on my rig(specs in sig) or replace the mobo for a s939 integrated graphics such as a 6150 or radeon x200. I am worried that My overclocking will be lost, but that the graphics will be much better than my geforce 4 420 mx pci.
Suggestions?

morgash

Golden Member
Nov 24, 2005
why dont u just spend the money ur were gonna spend on the mobo and instead spend it on a low range graphics card that will work waaay better than any onboard chip. 6600gt, 6800gs, x800 vanilla, 7300gs even. all are much better than onboard options.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
What kind of gaming do you do? I would suggest get an old 6600GT or 6800NU to game until G80 comes out. Shouldn't cost more than $150.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
For ~$100 you could get a new 7600gs that will wipe the floor with a gf4 mx or integrated. I dont know why you're waiting for the g80 like it's the next big thing, Nv just launched the g71 like 2 months ago. By the time g80 is launched, you'll hear rumors of a g81, with <GASP...> unified shaders! You would then want to wait for the g81, because discrete VS/PS are oldschool, and you'd end up waiting yet another year. Just get what can reasonably afford now, and when the g80 comes out you can decide if you really want it or not.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Getting a motherboard with integrated graphics to replace an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe as a graphics upgrade is probably one of the top-10 worst ideas I've read about on this forum. If you can't afford anything better than a PCI card there is no shame in that, we all have to buckle down from time to time. However, you have a really nice rig, and it would be a shame to split those parts up unless you are upgrading to something better. I know it sucks, but just be patient and wait until you can buy a card that will reasonably compliment your system.

cpacini

Oct 22, 2005
Originally posted by: nitromullet
Getting a motherboard with integrated graphics to replace an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe as a graphics upgrade is probably one of the top-10 worst ideas I've read about on this forum.

QFT

Take the money you were going to spend on the board and buy a 6600gt

F1shF4t

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2005
Originally posted by: MiranoPoncho
Currentley, I face a dilemma: game on my rig(specs in sig) or replace the mobo for a s939 integrated graphics such as a 6150 or radeon x200. I am worried that My overclocking will be lost, but that the graphics will be much better than my geforce 4 420 mx pci.
Suggestions?

Ok
1) DONT get the integrated mainboards, they dont overclock worth shiz, i have one in second comp asus a8n-vm csm, and its pathetic...well cant overclock. Not that it matter for what that comp is used.
2) If ur really short of cash, any gfx card u buy now will be MUCH faster than that mx, a 6600gt is a nice card, or some of the others people suggested, even a 6200 turbo cache will blow the mx out of the water.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I've had some integrated motherboards in the past that put in solid overclocks, not record breaking but acceptable.

However I agree, if the mx isn't going to tide you over there's many excellent options for about the cost of that motherboard replacement. I think thats a better route to go. Generally, integrated cards just plain aren't worth it.

Viva la SB live! Mine is still chugging away in my latest box as well.