Rosewill USB3.0 to SATA adapter for 2.5/3.5 inch SSD/HDD, support UASP, with 12V 2A power adapter $8 + $1.99 ship @ Newegg

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Rosewill USB to SATA USB 3.0 to Hard Drive Adapter Cable Converter for 2.5 3.5 Inch Hard Drive Disk HDD and SSD Support UASP SATA III with 12V 2A Power Adapter $8 + $1.99 ship

This is the adapter dongle, AND the 12V 2A power adapter, to work with BOTH 2.5" (SSD/laptop HDD), as well as 3.5" (desktop HDD). These units are normally a bit more expensive than just the standard USB-to-SATA +5V-only USB-powered dongles. This is a decent price, and it has five eggs.

Reactions: SamirD and Steltek

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
Good price. Only thing I see wrong with it is the usb cable isn't replaceable. I've had terrible luck with those thin, cheap usb cables. Many didn't last very long. When the cable dies, it becomes trash.

Reactions: SamirD

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
A better quality one by startech is also on sale and is around the same price with the coupon code:
There's also an even cheaper one without the external power supply for $5:
You missed the ENTIRE POINT of this thread, sorry chap.

The unit that I featured in the OP, takes not ONLY 2.5" SATA devices (+5V only, such as your devices are limited to), but ALSO 3.5" HDDs (which take a source of +12V, which the USB port doesn't provide, hence the power adapter).

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
You missed the ENTIRE POINT of this thread, sorry chap.

The unit that I featured in the OP, takes not ONLY 2.5" SATA devices (+5V only, such as your devices are limited to), but ALSO 3.5" HDDs (which take a source of +12V, which the USB port doesn't provide, hence the power adapter).
No, I saw that but many times you don't need 3.5" too and the prices on the 2.5" only ones are also respectively cheap.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
No, I saw that but many times you don't need 3.5" too and the prices on the 2.5" only ones are also respectively cheap.
In that case, thank you for pointing them out. The StarTech +5V-only USB3.0 unit is very well-built, and my adapter of choice for cloning SSDs and laptop HDDs. Rosewill makes a cheaper one, but sometimes Rosewill QC can be hit-or-miss. (I still use plenty of their products, but they're not "as perfect" as some of the other more name-brand 1st-tier mfgs of PC products.)

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
In that case, thank you for pointing them out. The StarTech +5V-only USB3.0 unit is very well-built, and my adapter of choice for cloning SSDs and laptop HDDs. Rosewill makes a cheaper one, but sometimes Rosewill QC can be hit-or-miss. (I still use plenty of their products, but they're not "as perfect" as some of the other more name-brand 1st-tier mfgs of PC products.)
Agreed on startech--it's the only brand I will use for things like this because other companies quality is terrible, usually failing right outside of warranty if not in warranty. Just looking at the soldering you know why too.

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
Agreed on startech--it's the only brand I will use for things like this because other companies quality is terrible, usually failing right outside of warranty if not in warranty. Just looking at the soldering you know why too.

I bought a startech several months ago. It was dead right out of the package. I don't know if it was the same model you guys are raving about. It was for 2.5 only, no 12v adapter. Just bad luck I guess.

After that I bought a qicent, it works OK, and an anker (works well with 2.5 and 3.5 if you get a 12v adapter).