News Rosetta's role in fighting coronavirus

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
With Rosetta out of work, what is the next best plan? Switch all the CPUs to F@H, or add an additional boinc project?

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
With Rosetta out of work, what is the next best plan? Switch all the CPUs to F@H, or add an additional boinc project?
There only 2 projects I know of that are working on this human malware - Rosetta and F@H. That is if you are wanting to work on this issue specifically.

Reactions: Endgame124

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
There only 2 projects I know of that are working on this human malware - Rosetta and F@H. That is if you are wanting to work on this issue specifically.
That’s the goal at the moment, so I’ll likely add F@H to my hosts for the time being so they are less idle. However, if there was an official TeAm Anandtech fallback boinc project, even if it wasn’t covid related, I would probably just do that. Less babysitting if I can just configure boinc to have a primary and fallback project.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
A few teams have something like a 'project of the month' (or of the fortnight, or what have you), but TeAm AnandTech doesn't.

About a dozen of us is active in the events which Tony is listing in the calendar. Between these events, several of us were strategically pursuing marathon projects of the formula-boinc.org stats site... until the virus hit.

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
This is from the Rosetta forum:

Since I'm getting no work units from Rosetta, and Folding@Home work units aren't coming (they haven't caught up with new volunteers either, though they've had weeks - though maybe it's because I have them set as GPU only), I added WorldCommunityGrid to BOINC. They're also doing medical research. Currently running tasks for cancer and microbiom.

RALPH@Home is in need of volunteers - they send WUs there for testing before Rosetta gets them - making work there essential to getting WUs out here.

Now whether this is true or not I do not know.
Legit: Ralph@home

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
AFAIR, work at Ralph is only intermittently available.
A Ralph regular should correct me if I'm wrong; I never ran it yet.

At the moment, there is no x86 work at Ralph either.
See bottom of server status.

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
AFAIR, work at Ralph is only intermittently available.
A Ralph regular should correct me if I'm wrong; I never ran it yet.

At the moment, there is no x86 work at Ralph either.
See bottom of server status.
I tried making an account but it does not like my e-mail address, but if there is no work I won't bother anyway.

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
A new batch of F@H cpu units seem to have been added today per the forums, so maybe there will be CPU jobs there until Rosetta gets more work?

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
There is always work at F@h.
Standard clients have to ask nicely sometimes: #12
Specially configured clients are practically always busy: #351, as long as they don't crash, #372. But there is an intermediate step: #509.

Last edited:

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
There is always work at F@h.
Standard clients have to ask nicely sometimes: #12
Specially configured clients are practically always busy: #351, as long as they don't crash, #372. But there is an intermediate step: #509.
I went with the intermediate step for my host with the 1080ti, and its been getting work nonstop. The old AMD A10-5800K hasn't gotten anything yet, but I just set it up today using the standard config.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
OK, I posted about this once, but now I have screenshots. So I get these error from BOINC
fBtv4sr.png

But here is what is free on the dual 7601

dcU33d2.png

What is BOINC's problem ??????

I have the same problem on my other EPYC machine (the 7742) but until I can figure out this one, I will deal with it once this is fixed.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
It's like it's getting mixed up between 'free, available to BOINC' and 'free, not available to BOINC' mixed up! o_O

Ladicek

Mar 24, 2020
Rosetta@home
What happens if I fail to submit my job on time?
Is it possible to extend the time of submission of work?
My 2500k is quite slow :(

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
At Rosetta@home, each job will terminate itself circa when the target CPU time is reached. No matter how fast or slow a processor is.

Default target CPU time is 8 hours; it can be decreased or increased by the user at the web site. It is even possible to change the target CPU time of a task after the fact: Make the adjustment at the web site, suspend the task in BOINC (with option "Leave non-GPU tasks in memory while suspended" switched off), trigger a project update on Rosetta, resume the task. Caveats: Sometimes an existing task does not pick the new target CPU time up. Other times, if the new target CPU time is less than the already expended CPU time, a task may finish with error. But most of the time this works.

If a finished task is reported after the reporting deadline, you don't get credit for it. Some projects give a little bit of grace period after the nominal deadline; I don't know if Rosetta does.

If you accidentally cached more work than can be completed before the deadline, a good option is to simply cancel and report the superfluous work. The project server will then be able to send it to another host, if the batch of work is still current.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
OK, I posted about this once, but now I have screenshots. So I get these error from BOINC
fBtv4sr.png

But here is what is free on the dual 7601

dcU33d2.png

What is BOINC's problem ??????
It's like it's getting mixed up between 'free, available to BOINC' and 'free, not available to BOINC' mixed up! o_O
@Markfw, what happens if you set boinc to "Use no more than 25 % of total", or similar?

(And leave "Use no more than __ GB" disabled, and "Leave at least __ GB free" to something safe for the rest of the system.)

Markfw

May 16, 2002
@Markfw, what happens if you set boinc to "Use no more than 25 % of total", or similar?

(And leave "Use no more than __ GB" disabled, and "Leave at least __ GB free" to something safe for the rest of the system.)
I disabled both of them (unchecked) and upper the swap file usage to 95%. But with 256 gig of ram, should not be a problem.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
What I meant to say is, decrease the fraction of disk space which boinc is allowed to take, and see what happens.

(Memory and swap space should not factor into this, in theory.)

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I don't know if it would help. It seems boinc's calculation of remaining disk space went wrong, hence try to give it some different input into its calculation.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I don't know if it would help. It seems boinc's calculation of remaining disk space went wrong, hence try to give it some different input into its calculation.
Thats why I went with "ignore space."