Rosetta@Home - I GIVE!

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
Looks like they have thrown in the towel and so have I after 15+ years. It was fun while it lasted and I feel I made some significant contributions.

I've decided to start paying myself back so I've installed the Kryptex client on my fastest machine. Their predictions suggest I'll make ~$78 per month. Of course, it's mostly using my RX6800 but Kryptex is also using my i9-10850 CPU to process work - which is mostly what I wanted. I hate seeing all those cores sit idle - always seems like a tremendous waste! The whole crypto thing is new to me. I've always been against it and favored "charity" projects that actually help mankind. Nonetheless, I decided it's time to start putting some "payback" in my pocket for the megawatts I've poured in charity projects for MANY years.

Anyone else running crypto on their former DC machines?

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
Looks like they have thrown in the towel and so have I after 15+ years. It was fun while it lasted and I feel I made some significant contributions.

I've decided to start paying myself back so I've installed the Kryptex client on my fastest machine. Their predictions suggest I'll make ~$78 per month. Of course, it's mostly using my RX6800 but Kryptex is also using my i9-10850 CPU to process work - which is mostly what I wanted. I hate seeing all those cores sit idle - always seems like a tremendous waste! The whole crypto thing is new to me. I've always been against it and favored "charity" projects that actually help mankind. Nonetheless, I decided it's time to start putting some "payback" in my pocket for the megawatts I've poured in charity projects for MANY years.

I do both, but I only run crypto on my GPUs. Currently I have them running MW@Home and Private GFN Server; but I will switch them back to Ravencoin for a little bit this month.

There are many projects that you can run your hardware on outside of Rosetta@Home. Granted majority of the other projects are not directly related to the medical field of curing diseases, cancers and other life threatening illnesses, but they do help advance the sciences further which I do believe will help mankind as a whole in the long run.

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
Over time, mankind has come up with so many methods how to destroy this planet for individual gain — some are more convoluted, others more direct. The cryptotoken industry is an example of the latter kind.

Indeed, I've railed against Crypto since it's invention. I've always said: "Image some visitors from outer space hovering over our planet and looking down in bewilderment at the amount of power we are using to generate 'money' from mining." A a macro scale it's completely and utterly ridiculous. Nonetheless, I've spent a fortune on power keeping my DC machines running 24/7/365 for over two decades and $1000 on a video card - I'm hoping to recouple some of it. As they say "it is what it is".

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002

I have Rosetta running on one 7742, 128 thread box. On our team you can see its doing a little over 100k ppd. Vanilla, no virtualbox. Right now its doing 126 threads.

Reactions: biodoc

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
I have Rosetta running on one 7742, 128 thread box. On our team you can see its doing a little over 100k ppd. Vanilla, no virtualbox. Right now its doing 126 threads.

I had 2 machines running, getting no work and sitting idle for over a month. Let me know when they fix their stuff and I may come back. I still believe in the project, I just have no faith in those currently running it.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
The only crypto I've successfully run was Folding@Home. :laughing: (I have lots of worthless FLDC.)

I tried running some crypto at the beginning of this year. Apparently a 1060 3GB isn't good for much. :(

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I had 2 machines running, getting no work and sitting idle for over a month. Let me know when they fix their stuff and I may come back.
I am copying this from another thread, please excuse the duplication:

As far as I can tell from top_hosts, Rosetta v4.20 work is almost always being generated. "Ready to send" shows 0 most of the time though not because there is no work being put out, but because there are more than enough hosts requesting this work. I.e. any work generated immediately goes off to hosts which request it.

Basically, Rosetta@home is like two projects on a single site:
One, which offers a native application, has got a lot more donor computer time available than it needs — much like OpenPandemics (after it gained GPU support).
Another, which offers a difficult (borderline infeasible) to run virtualized application, has got less donor computer time available than it apparently could use.

Personally, I decided to stay away from projects which have enough donors. So that means I am not going to run "Rosetta v4.20" anytime soon. As for "rosetta python projects", I ran it for a little while out of curiosity, just to find out what it takes to run this continuously, but soon lost interest after this initial curiosity was satisfied.

I am not surprised that scientific simulations can be resource hungry, but "rosetta python projects" seems to be a tad more wasteful than it should be, and so I am not motivated to support Rosetta@home by running this application as it is.

I still believe in the project, I just have no faith in those currently running it.
I have been occasional Rosetta@home contributor for 5½ years now, which is little compared to your 16½(?) years. From my time there I recall that there was always rather scarce communication of the project runners with contributors, occasional periods without work, and sometimes some faulty work batches. But it seems to me that things at R@h only deteriorated from there. :-(

A a macro scale it's completely and utterly ridiculous. Nonetheless, I've spent a fortune on power keeping my DC machines running 24/7/365 for over two decades and $1000 on a video card - I'm hoping to recouple some of it. As they say "it is what it is".
Financial institutions are desperately pouring money into all kinds of "investments", including those crypto schemes. The small-scale home miners are certainly not the ones where the bulk of that money ends up. So my 'individual gain' phrase was not a good choice of words to put in a direct response to your opening post.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Hi mate, you've certainly been a loyal R@H cruncher for a long time! Since the end of of SETI classic perhaps?
Although I occasionally ran it some years ago, I only really got into it when the pandemic kicked off and gave up with it a few(?) months ago after a lack of 'regular' WUs and got PO with the python WUs (mostly doing just nothing it seemed).
Seems totally fair enough to me to get some payback for yourself :).

Btw, when you do fancy going back to DC, and assuming R@H still hasn't got it's stuff back together, I think WCG will be up your street. When it comes back online anyway ;) (early May now it seems).

Reactions: BadThad

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I don't know if Rosetta is back for good, but I just got THOUSANDS of tasks, hundreds running and thousands queued up. 484 running, 3676 queued, on 9 computers.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I don't know if Rosetta is back for good, but I just got THOUSANDS of tasks, hundreds running and thousands queued up. 484 running, 3676 queued, on 9 computers.
You got a big batch of the non-python ones, eh?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Come on in to Crypto, the water's fine (and warm).

I use Nicehash, have around 25 GPUs running, efficiency-optimized, not sure how many MH/sec, but earning possibly $28 USD/day.

I don't much mine on my CPU. It doesn't make much, comparatively-speaking, to GPU, and it has a tendency to make my PCs reboot.

Markfw

May 16, 2002

I use Nicehash, have around 25 GPUs running, efficiency-optimized, not sure how many MH/sec, but earning possibly $28 USD/day.

I don't much mine on my CPU. It doesn't make much, comparatively-speaking, to GPU, and it has a tendency to make my PCs reboot.
Larry, MEDICAL RESEARCH Thats what Rosetta is all about and so am I. Keep the mining crap out of medical DC threads. Don't piss me off.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Larry, MEDICAL RESEARCH Thats what Rosetta is all about and so am I. Keep the mining crap out of medical DC threads. Don't piss me off.
Sorry, Mark, I didn't realize that this was "your" thread.

I've decided to start paying myself back so I've installed the Kryptex client on my fastest machine. Their predictions suggest I'll make ~$78 per month.
OP talked about installing a crypto client, so it's not OT, as far as I'm concerned.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That's what I was responding to.

Edit: Not trying to piss you off, Mark. I try to avoid poking my mining nose into purely DC threads. But it's pretty clear here, that you just read the title and not the OP. If you did, you would have realized this thread IS explicitly about crypto, and it was more your response that was OT not mine, that directly addressed the OP.

And make no mistake, I'm no stranger to DC work, either. I put in my dues. Over 100Mil in F@H, over like 10+ years, RC -56, 64, SoB (top ten in Team) for like 5 years, built a quad-GPU F@H rig one year for the competition, etc.

I still do the occasional PrimeGrid race.

I'll admit, my personal tastes tend more towards math than medical research, but neither is inherently more valid than the other, IMHO.

I'm glad that you do what you do, Mark, and you're in a good position to afford that much of an electric bill to do so. THANK YOU! for you contributions to DC! Your accolades are well deserved.

Just consider, a little bit, stop hating on the miners.

Last edited:
Reactions: Assimilator1

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000

Hi Larry! I'm running Kryptex, it's been just over 7 days now. It's using my 10850 and my RX6800 to mine. Factoring in my electricity costs, I'm doing well. For 7 days of work I made $32. My all-in electric cost is ~8.5 cents per kWh and my main PC is using ~300W so the mining is profitable.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hi Larry! I'm running Kryptex, it's been just over 7 days now. It's using my 10850 and my RX6800 to mine. Factoring in my electricity costs, I'm doing well. For 7 days of work I made $32. My all-in electric cost is ~8.5 cents per kWh and my main PC is using ~300W so the mining is profitable.
Have you checked whattomine.com , to see what you should be earning? Is Kryptex a profit-switching miner, or does it mostly do ETH?

Lastly, it's generally hardly worth mining on non-Zen family CPUs, primarily because of cache sizes. You make so little coin, compared to what a GPU could make, in the same power envelope (95-105W), and it puts wear and tear on your CPU a bit. (All three of my Ryzen rigs are unstable for CPU mining or DC work now.)

Edit: Suggestion: Run WCG or possibly PrimeGrid (but watch temps and AVX multi settings!) on CPU while mining on GPUs.

I would, if mine weren't unstable.

Last edited:

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Have you checked whattomine.com , to see what you should be earning? Is Kryptex a profit-switching miner, or does it mostly do ETH?

Lastly, it's generally hardly worth mining on non-Zen family CPUs, primarily because of cache sizes. You make so little coin, compared to what a GPU could make, in the same power envelope (95-105W), and it puts wear and tear on your CPU a bit. (All three of my Ryzen rigs are unstable for CPU mining or DC work now.)
Wow! Were they running hot? Have you been able to determine what part of the CPU or mbrd has become unstable?

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000

Edit: Suggestion: Run WCG or possibly PrimeGrid (but watch temps and AVX multi settings!) on CPU while mining on GPUs.

I would, if mine weren't unstable.

It's running DaggerHashimoto ETH on the 6800 and RandomX on the CPU. I got my first payout from Kyptex yesterday, they paid me within 24 hours!

My 10850 has 20MB L3, RandomX is made to run on CPUs and is about 5200 H/s running at Intel default clock and settings. I slightly downclocked my 6800 so it's not maxed out.

Reactions: Assimilator1

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK, new issue. It was driving me crazy as to why all of a sudden many of my 2080TI's were getting "Interrupted". I thought it was the wattage thing. Noooo. After a little research, it seems that can happen on slow CPU's. On a 7B12 ? With 2 threads/one core available ? Well, I suspended Rosetta, and now, the 1950x, the 3950x, and the 7B12 that were all messed up are now working fine ! All with Rosetta suspended. And gaia is now running 64 tasks on the 7B12 !

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
it seems that can happen on slow CPU's
Don't forget, memory bandwidth also plays a role. I've run into memory BW limitations plenty of times, running all of my threads on a CPU flat-out doing PrimeGrid. I presume that this may affect GPU tasks as well. Even if you leave a physical core free.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Don't forget, memory bandwidth also plays a role. I've run into memory BW limitations plenty of times, running all of my threads on a CPU flat-out doing PrimeGrid. I presume that this may affect GPU tasks as well. Even if you leave a physical core free.
The slow CPU's is what led me to believe that it might be load related, as this only started happening when Rosetta became widely available. I can probably change the CPU %used from 98% (what is now) to 95%. But I wanted to make sure that was the problem first. I NEVER use all threads on CPU while F@H, but Rosetta seems to be problematic. I will let them run for a few days, then change CPU usage max.

Edit: I used 98% since on a 7742, it always gave 1 core/2 threads available for the video card. On a 5950x, it gave one thread, which was always enough. Not anymore. I will go to whatever gives me at least 2 available on a 5950x, and 4 available on a 7742.