Roommate issues: what to say to new prospects?

Mar 15, 2003
So here's the deal. My roommates were hippy scumbags. They still live here and, while the landlord agreed to fix everything before the first, I have these issues that could sway potential new roommates (and I have to find people to move in by the first):

*Note: this is not a compensation issue, that's between them and the landlord

1. They ripped out the carpet because of the "dust" without asking. The landlord agreed to work it out and get new carpeting, but the bare, ugly floor is visible now

2. This is NYC and they're sloppy. We have a roach problem and they refused to let me get the place sprayed (even though a once a month spraying is free at the building) because of their sensitive lungs

There are other annoyances but my question is this: tell prospects that this stuff will all be taken care of by the 1st or just not mention it? The carpeting is not a problem but the roaches is an issue. It's not horrible but I feel like I would be freaked out if I saw a roach skutter by - should I make it a passing issue?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
If you have roaches, let the people know. It would be horribly dishonest to do otherwise.

Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
If you have roaches, let the people know. It would be horribly dishonest to do otherwise.

Ok, I get that.. But, here's the thing - I dont' want to come off as an ass and keep on saying "we'd get that fixed but that's due to the ex roommates".. would that make me seem difficult to live with? I'm a laid back guy and not hard to live with, but my roommates are the type to smoke 24/7 in a non-smoking building, after i asked them time and again not to.. SO, a lot of this IS their fault, but I dont' want to come off as a dick.. Is it ok to put blame where blame is due or just let it slide?

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Explain to them that the soon to be gone hippies are the reason it looks like ass. If I was looking at a place and it was all torn up, my first impression would be "lets go somewhere else or try to negotiate for lower rent."

Make sure they know that before they move in there will be all new carpet and that the place will have the bug spraying of a lifetime.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: freedomsbeat212
Originally posted by: Chaotic42

Ok, I get that.. But, here's the thing - I dont' want to come off as an ass and keep on saying "we'd get that fixed but that's due to the ex roommates".. would that make me seem difficult to live with? I'm a laid back guy and not hard to live with, but my roommates are the type to smoke 24/7 in a non-smoking building, after i asked them time and again not to.. SO, a lot of this IS their fault, but I dont' want to come off as a dick.. Is it ok to put blame where blame is due or just let it slide?

I'd appreciate your honesty, but that's me.