Roommate From Hell... What to Do?

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
First a little background information: I started at the University of the Arts this year and got into the upperclassmen dorm by some miracle. These dorms are all large, two bedroom apartments with a full kitchen and bathroom. There are 4 people to a room.

All of my roommates have been great so far, except for one. I'm not saying that all of us are perfect, but this is guy is absurd. He met this girl at a party 2 Fridays ago. Both him and the girl were pretty trashed, so me and my other roommates let her stay on the futon in our living room. However, she hasn't left. She stayed for 8 days STRAIGHT, left for 3, then has recently come back. This has been a big problem for myself and 2 of my other roommates. She seems to have influenced her boyfriend (the douchebag roommate) in a bad way. They skip class, smoke, eat, and watch Family Guy. That's about it. They're loud, obnoxious, and messy. Me and my other 2 roommates work hard to keep the apartment clean, whichis why this is so infuriating. My roommate, when he's not sleeping on the futon, has been sleeping on a dirty pile of clothes on his bed. We've been here for a little over a month and I've seen him do laundry once.

Me and my other 2 roommates have talked to him twice about it so far. The first time we were somewhat nice and told him that she was welcome to come over occasionally, but she had most definitely overstayed her welcome and needed to leave. No effect. The second time we were harsher and told him that it was ridiculous and that if she was still here after we came back after the weekend, there were going to be some problems. After the second incidence he confronted us and said that he was sorry, and that she would be staying one more night, then she would not be coming back. We came home from the weekend and she was gone for about 3 days, now she's back. She has her own apartment no more than 2 blocks away from ours.

Is it just me, or this absolutely asinine? He acts like a little kid and lies to us. We're sick of this crap, but we're running out of ideas. My other roommates and I are going to the RAs tonight to talk to them about it, and hopefully something will get done. What other options do we have here though?

Cliffs:
- Roommate's girlfriend has been living at our apartment, uninvited, for over a week
- Roommate and said girlfriend act like little children, don't listen, and lie to us
- Roommate and said girlfriend do not clean up after themselves, and are loud and obnoxious
- Help us ATOT

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Jugernot
Ummm... kick him out and find a new roommate. Problem solved.

If he's in a dorm it's not that easy.

If you talk to your RA and 3 of the 4 people want him out, I'm sure he can make some sort of arrangement.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
The RA should be able to take care of it. Its probably against your university's policy for a girl to be in the dorm after a certain hour anyway, so its a pretty clear case of him violating the rules.

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005

This was the first thing we thought about. We can't just kick him out unfortunately, because the room switch period is over and there won't be another one until next semester.

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
4 people in a room? :Q
that's a really big room or you all got to know each other real well real fast.

xdreadpiratedoug

Jul 25, 2007
Originally posted by: Xanis

This was the first thing we thought about. We can't just kick him out unfortunately, because the room switch period is over and there won't be another one until next semester.

There could possible be some rules about how long a guest can stay, and I'd be willing to bet it's not an extended period.

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
Originally posted by: HN

Like I said in my original post, it's a 2 bedroom apartment with a full living room, bathroom and kitchen. It's big.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Try to have sex with her, all of you. See how fast he'll move her out, or she'll leave.

Or, you guys become a big happy family.

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
Originally posted by: HN

Like I said in my original post, it's a 2 bedroom apartment with a full living room, bathroom and kitchen. It's big.
oic. you mean 4 total in the apartment? because i read:

There are 4 people to a room.

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004
Its probably against your university's policy for a girl to be in the dorm after a certain hour anyway, so its a pretty clear case of him violating the rules.

When did you graduate college? The 50's? Dorm moms went out of style several decades ago, dude, there's not apt to be any "No girls after 10 PM" official rules.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Agentbolt
Its probably against your university's policy for a girl to be in the dorm after a certain hour anyway, so its a pretty clear case of him violating the rules.

When did you graduate college? The 50's? Dorm moms went out of style several decades ago, dude, there's not apt to be any "No girls after 10 PM" official rules.

It's certainly not like that at every college. I am very thankful my college had completely separate male and female dorms. When girls were there, they were loud and annoying most of the time. They also weren't allowed in at night and the vast majority of guys living there supported this.

Bibble

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2006
My advice to you would be to look up what the guest policy is, because I bet he's violated it. At my university it's 3 days and 3 nights. It sounds like your dorm is really nice and that you wouldn't want to leave it. Therefore, I suggest you and your other 2 roommates make a formal complaint to your RA/Office of Residential Life together.

Actually, I'm pretty sure there is a similar rule at Notre Dame, though I do not doubt most colleges do not have rules like that.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Leros
The RA should be able to take care of it. Its probably against your university's policy for a girl to be in the dorm after a certain hour anyway, so its a pretty clear case of him violating the rules.

Those policies only exist at relgious schools, at least in the last couple decades.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: SSSnail
Try to have sex with her, all of you. See how fast he'll move her out, or she'll leave.

Or, you guys become a big happy family.

listen to this guy. he has knowledge beyond his years

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: LordMorpheus
Originally posted by: Leros

Those policies only exist at relgious schools, at least in the last couple decades.

Not true.

And being "dorm mom" isn't a problem if its only used to get an obscenely obnoxious roommate and his GF out of the suite.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

maybe so but many still have some rules, at mine when i lived in the dorms, you wernt allowed to have a guest stay for more then 3 days at any 1 time

and if your roomate(s)bitched about something to the RA things got fixed, many people i know had issues with their roomates and people were moved in a matter of weeks

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004

Its like that at my college. Course I'm at a partial military school where all the male dorms are rotc.

Still the nicer female dorms have some rules about male visitors as well.

lucky for me....these rules dont apply :)

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

NO rules specifically against girls but there will be rules about overnight guests. Contact the RA and have him/her boot the girl.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman

NO rules specifically against girls but there will be rules about overnight guests. Contact the RA and have him/her boot the girl.

Most schools have rules about overnight guests... some prohibit the opposite sex unless that person has a 'sponsor' (which can't be the person the guest is staying with). Almost all have rules against guests staying longer than a certain period of time (usually more than a week).