Ron Paul vs Stephen Baldwin

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Or we can take the sane route, and not do that. Again, this is why Ron Paul couldn't get more that a tiny percentage of the vote even in the political party most amenable to his beliefs. His solutions (like most libertarian solutions sadly enough) are poorly thought out and don't take into account the long term consequences of his actions. The only reason they persist at all is that no country has been irresponsible enough to allow a libertarian to gain enough power to implement these principles. Uncoupled from the burden of actually having to run anything, it's very easy to lob impractical solutions that sound good to a select group.

LOL.

Wow.

Hahaha.

Heh.

Wait, you're serious, aren't you?

Sigh.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: jonks
Positions like that are why RP didn't win anything, because he offers impractical solutions. Did you see anyone in Congress or the WH agree with AIG using the funds for bonuses, or did you see them condemn it can call for punitive measures? Or would you simply have let one of the world's largest insurance company go belly up on the brink of a depression and not given them anything at all as RP would have?

Let them go belly up. Look, how hard is it to see that the Obama admin is just carrying over the same failed system we saw under Bush? We're just trying to re-inflate an economy based on failed economic and monetary policies. That's not change, and it certainly isn't good for the long term health of our country. It's more of the same, it's curing the symptoms rather than the actual disease, and that is exactly how government operates, and why things are so bad. You guys won't know you've bought a lemon until the engine catches fire and the tires fly off.

Or we can take the sane route, and not do that. Again, this is why Ron Paul couldn't get more that a tiny percentage of the vote even in the political party most amenable to his beliefs. His solutions (like most libertarian solutions sadly enough) are poorly thought out and don't take into account the long term consequences of his actions. The only reason they persist at all is that no country has been irresponsible enough to allow a libertarian to gain enough power to implement these principles. Uncoupled from the burden of actually having to run anything, it's very easy to lob impractical solutions that sound good to a select group.

Yes, your system is working swimmingly. Keep up the good work, statist. The wealthy love you for it.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Originally posted by: daniel1113

LOL.

Wow.

Hahaha.

Heh.

Sigh.

Sadly, he probably is.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
He's right on legalization of marijuana. Hell, it would be a great way to raise taxes if nothing else.

That said, he's dead wrong on everything else and it's why only a few loons ever voted for him. No practical solutions and believes entirely in bunk Austrian economics. We'd have been far worse off had we let AIG et al go bankrupt, which is obvious if you can read and write.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: MotF Bane

LOL.

Wow.

Hahaha.

Heh.

Sigh.

Sadly, he probably is.

And he's right, which is why the resident Libertarians here will wimp out of a substantive counterargument.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

LOL.

Wow.

Hahaha.

Heh.

Sigh.

Yeap, I'm totally serious. I'll be waiting on your libertopia though, I'm sure it's just around the corner.

Jun 26, 2007
I think the US should legalise pot, lazy and eventually stupid people would be better for all other nations. :)

Truth is, in my own nation, i'd rather see Meth legalised, it's just as addictive (neither is physically addictive), the difference is that it's in and out of your system in a matter of hours while a buildup of THC in your brain only gets bigger over time.

I can't remember one pothead i knew when i was in my teens that ever became anything but a suicide victim or a welfare father of several children.

THC may not be a problem short term but it truly makes people fucking daft in the long run.

Jun 26, 2007

LOL.

Wow.

Hahaha.

Heh.

Sigh.

I've had discussions with you before and i know that you can formulate an argument Daniel.

0marTheZealot

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: LumbergTech
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I personally think it's worth a shot legalizing weed and see what happens. I think it's retarded that some people think it would be ok to legalize all the hard drugs. And comparing them to alcohol is a non-starter. I don't do any drugs or drink at all, fwiw.

I think RP, btw, has no knowledge of this matter if he's never even heard of somebody being pulled over for driving while stoned.

Do you admit that making a drug illegal does not decrease it chances of being used?

If you disagree..Do you care to site evidence to the contrary?

I'm not necessarily advocating legalization of crack for instance, but lets ask the questions about how effective what we are doing is.

What we will be doing is removing the 15,000% return on investment that growing marijuana gives.

We will also ease the burden of our prison system to those who actually deserve incarceration. Because of the drug war, 1 in 33 adults have been in the prison system. That's simply astounding. We've spent trillions of dollars on the drug war and we haven't made any progress. The US still remains the #1 consumer of narcotics and other drugs in the world. Every year, we get bigger and bigger drug busts but consumption continues to rise. There's no way you can beat 15,000% ROI and that's a conservative estimate.

extra

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
I personally think it's worth a shot legalizing weed and see what happens. I think it's retarded that some people think it would be ok to legalize all the hard drugs. And comparing them to alcohol is a non-starter. I don't do any drugs or drink at all, fwiw.

I think RP, btw, has no knowledge of this matter if he's never even heard of somebody being pulled over for driving while stoned.

Do you admit that making a drug illegal does not decrease it chances of being used?

I'm not necessarily advocating legalization of crack for instance, but lets ask the questions about how effective what we are doing is.

Why the hell wouldn't we legalize "crack"... make it like alcohol so it's got the shit taxed out of it.....I don't know a single person who would go start doing crack if it was legal, do you? Probably not. The people that are going to be strung out on crack and meth are GOING TO DO IT IRREGARDLESS....

Illegal==we get to pay for all the fuck ups those people cause, and pay for their prison terms..my friggin money that I work for is going to feed these people in prison....

Legal and taxed==THEIR money can pay when they fuck something up thank you very much...

And for weed, shrooms, etc, it can be legal so that everyone's time isn't wasted, it is less harmful for you than alcohol.... Tax dollars can go to pay down our massive debt..

cpmer

Jan 22, 2005
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
I think the US should legalise pot, lazy and eventually stupid people would be better for all other nations. :)

Truth is, in my own nation, i'd rather see Meth legalised, it's just as addictive (neither is physically addictive), the difference is that it's in and out of your system in a matter of hours while a buildup of THC in your brain only gets bigger over time.

I can't remember one pothead i knew when i was in my teens that ever became anything but a suicide victim or a welfare father of several children.

THC may not be a problem short term but it truly makes people fucking daft in the long run.

Yeah that michael phelps sure never made anything of himself. Along with most of the people in hollywood. Didn't bill clinton smoke pot?. Whatever im sure you are gonna say they aren't/weren't potheads but most people who smoke pot aren't potheads.

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: cpmer

Yeah that michael phelps sure never made anything of himself. Along with most of the people in hollywood. Didn't bill clinton smoke pot?. Whatever im sure you are gonna say they aren't/weren't potheads but most people who smoke pot aren't potheads.

I've had my run ins with pot heads when i was in the regular RAF, one who went into a psychosis weeks after he quit smoking.

I don't really give a shit who smoked what, why the FUCK would you bring that up you stupid fuck, are you perchance a stupid regular smoker, because it's them i'm talking about.

It takes about three days to clear it out of your brain, so you smoke more than once a day and you smoke every day and ALL of it will get stored in your brain, it takes no fucking wonderbrain to figure out how this works you daft little fuck.

cpmer

Jan 22, 2005
I've had my run ins with pot heads when i was in the regular RAF, one who went into a psychosis weeks after he quit smoking.

I don't really give a shit who smoked what, why the FUCK would you bring that up you stupid fuck, are you perchance a stupid regular smoker, because it's them i'm talking about.

It takes about three days to clear it out of your brain, so you smoke more than once a day and you smoke every day and ALL of it will get stored in your brain, it takes no fucking wonderbrain to figure out how this works you daft little fuck.

Wow? rage much? Maybe its you who needs to smoke a little so you calm down. Ive had lots of friends quit smoking over the years and none of them have went into psychosis. They'res lots of people who smoke every day that are perfectly normal functioning productive members of society. Let me ask you this. Do you think alcohol should be legal?

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004

Ive had lots of friends quit smoking over the years and none of them have went into psychosis. They'res lots of people who smoke every day that are perfectly normal functioning productive members of society.

This

I've known a large amount of people that smoke that have great jobs and families and aren't lazy people but people would never vote for legalizing weed cus it's still a drug and people would never vote for a drug to be legal cus drugs = bad to them. No politician wants to be a politician who thinks drugs are ok. I would vote for it to pass but majority of people wouldn't.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

No I don't admit it. I have no evidence. Do you? It's common sense. When something is made more available chances are that its use will increase.

I don't know a single person who would go start doing crack if it was legal, do you? Probably not. The people that are going to be strung out on crack and meth are GOING TO DO IT IRREGARDLESS....
I don't know any hard drug users at all, but if you take something that has a stigma and condone it via legalization, of course it's going to be less distasteful and use will go up.

I really find the lack of common sense in this issue extremely hard to stomach. These hard drugs are live destroyers. They are not like red bull drinks, they obliterate people's lives and some of you think that they should be available in corner stores, but taxed. It's amazing.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

No I don't admit it. I have no evidence. Do you? It's common sense. When something is made more available chances are that its use will increase.

I don't know a single person who would go start doing crack if it was legal, do you? Probably not. The people that are going to be strung out on crack and meth are GOING TO DO IT IRREGARDLESS....
I don't know any hard drug users at all, but if you take something that has a stigma and condone it via legalization, of course it's going to be less distasteful and use will go up.

I really find the lack of common sense in this issue extremely hard to stomach. These hard drugs are live destroyers. They are not like red bull drinks, they obliterate people's lives and some of you think that they should be available in corner stores, but taxed. It's amazing.

Good man. Now you can see why we need to outlaw alcohol. It is doing more damage to people than other drugs ever can. Tobacco also has to be illegal for the same reason.

It's just terrible we push people to use these things by condoning them being legal, no?

Smart people like us need to manage the lives of fools.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002

JOS, your perception is completely disconnected from reality. Pyschosis from stopping smoking weed? All the potheads are losers? Sounds like Reefer Madness worked on you.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: TechBoyJK

JOS, your perception is completely disconnected from reality. Pyschosis from stopping smoking weed? All the potheads are losers? Sounds like Reefer Madness worked on you.

He can't help it, he's British. They're born with sticks up their asses.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Agreed.

That's why we need the Republicans in power to keep your immoral Democrats in line. Where would we be without Republican values?

Without unrestrained capitalism, or social policies based on the Bible?

I know where we'd be - anywhere but where we're at.....and that's an improvement I'd say.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

Maybe they were using some experimental shit in the RAF. About half the people I knew in college and law school smoked fairly regularly, mostly on weekends. Never saw anyone go through any psychotic episodes. Though one did fail the bar, but he also showed up drunk I think, so lets just chalk that up to him being a moron.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: jonks

Maybe they were using some experimental shit in the RAF. About half the people I knew in college and law school smoked fairly regularly, mostly on weekends. Never saw anyone go through any psychotic episodes. Though one did fail the bar, but he also showed up drunk I think, so lets just chalk that up to him being a moron.

Yea, JohnofSheffield just proved he is completely wrong in his perception and understanding of the drug. Let's see him retort. Because he's wrong, and nothing he can say or do, facts or anything, is going to prove otherwise.

You don't go into pyschosis when you stop smoking weed. Most people that smoke weed aren't losers. They are your lawyers, teachers, doctors, etc. The ones that fail in life end up using weed as an escape, therefore, it looks like weed is the cause.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Robor
Agreed.

That's why we need the Republicans in power to keep your immoral Democrats in line. Where would we be without Republican values?

I'm tapping my sarcasm meter.

Well Skoorb decided to completely evade the issue so Bober's reply made perfect sense to me. It's not our fault that Skoorb wanted to talk common sense and then not use any.