Ron Paul rejects evolutionary theory

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: Harvey

Yeah, who gives a shit that he voted against the war in Iraq, who gives a shit that he voted against the Patriot Act?

That's the good news. He got something right.

If you think the misunderstanding of evolution is the biggest problem in this country, do us all a favor. Don't vote.

Regardless of being right on Iraq and the < gag > "Patriot" Act, that's really bad news. I wouldn't consider voting for anyone stupid enough to dismiss evolution as "just a theory" with absolutely no clue about what a scientific theory is or who would describe it as a "theological question."

We've alreadyt had more than enough shit for brains religious idealogues as President for one century.

Harvey, I just think it totally disgusting that you hold the concept of evolution as a higher priority than so many other important issues in this country.

It's not just evolution. For me it's the fact that most (all?) of the Republican fundamental religious candidates who don't believe in evolution also don't believe in legal abortion or investing federal funds in stem cell research.

Edited to clarify:.. I don't like to use the party as a basis in my decision but most of the R's are against federal funds for stem cell research. I definitely want to see as much research in that area as possible and if that means federal funds then by all means do it.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Robor

Yeah, who gives a shit that he voted against the war in Iraq, who gives a shit that he voted against the Patriot Act?

If you think the misunderstanding of evolution is the biggest problem in this country, do us all a favor. Don't vote.

Regardless of being right on Iraq and the < gag > "Patriot" Act, that's really bad news. I wouldn't consider voting for anyone stupid enough to dismiss evolution as "just a theory" with absolutely no clue about what a scientific theory is or who would describe it as a "theological question."

We've alreadyt had more than enough shit for brains religious idealogues as President for one century.

Harvey, I just think it totally disgusting that you hold the concept of evolution as a higher priority than so many other important issues in this country.

It's not just evolution. For me it's the fact that most (all?) of the fundamental religious candidates who don't believe in evolution also don't believe in legal abortion or investing federal funds in stem cell research.

Why should the feds be funding research? I guess I missed the part of the Constitution which said that the federal government was meant to be a giant piggy bank for anybody to shove their grubby hands into.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: BoberFett

It's not just evolution. For me it's the fact that most (all?) of the fundamental religious candidates who don't believe in evolution also don't believe in legal abortion or investing federal funds in stem cell research.

Why should the feds be funding research? I guess I missed the part of the Constitution which said that the federal government was meant to be a giant piggy bank for anybody to shove their grubby hands into.

If they're gonna spend billions on R&D for the military to defend our country and save lives I don't think it's a stretch to have them spend some money on R&D to cure diseases and save lives. The goals are the same. Pointing out that no specific provision in a 10 page document from the 18th century authorizes scientific research isn't a particularly powerful argument when considering the government that has evolved over the past 200+ years.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
I like some of what Paul has to say, and he's a refreshingly different type of candidate, but he's in the middle ages on a few things

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I don't want them spending vast sums on the military either. And I don't want government to evolve. I want it to leave me the hell alone. Do you honestly believe that our government is immune to the corruption that has decimated every civilization before us?

Jun 26, 2007
Rejecting the evolutionary theory is rejecting reality, there is no way around that.

Ignorance isn't really an excuse either.

That said, i don't get to vote and so my opinion on the candidates don't count.

Personally i hope it'll be Hillary though, if it's Huckabee, i hope we cut all ties with the US and end our NATO membership immediately.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

I think you already know the answer to that question. Whether it's in the constitution or not I think we should be putting funds toward curing things like Cancer, Alzheimers, Parkinsons, etc. I would also like to see significant research toward alternative energy sources.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

I think you already know the answer to that question. Whether it's in the constitution or not I think we should be putting funds toward curing things like Cancer, Alzheimers, Parkinsons, etc. I would also like to see significant research toward alternative energy sources.

Everyone wants to see this research. But it should be done by the free market.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

I do know the answer, and the answer is that the feds HAVE NO BUSINESS doing those things. If you want to fund them, fund those projects yourself. Why do people like you force me to donate at gunpoint?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
Rejecting the evolutionary theory is rejecting reality, there is no way around that.

Personally i hope it'll be Hillary though, if it's Huckabee, i hope we cut all ties with the US and end our NATO membership immediately.

Your own Prime Minister is a Calvinist. :roll:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

It's not just evolution. For me it's the fact that most (all?) of the Republican fundamental religious candidates who don't believe in evolution also don't believe in legal abortion or investing federal funds in stem cell research.

Edited to clarify:.. I don't like to use the party as a basis in my decision but most of the R's are against federal funds for stem cell research. I definitely want to see as much research in that area as possible and if that means federal funds then by all means do it.

It's not ALL stem cell research as many here make out (and you seem to as well).

It's JUST embryonic stem cells. Big deal, let private business carry some of the research load.

Research into alt energy has been mentioned. IMO, that's justifiable gov investment because it's a national security issue.

Fern

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Everyone wants to see this research. But it should be done by the free market.

I guess that's where we will have to disagree.

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
Originally posted by: NaughtyGeek
I can't see how anyone can buy the theory of evolution. Isn't one of it's primary tenants "survival of the fittest?" I don't know about you, but looking at the way our society has evolved, survival of the fittest is not what drives it. We continuously want to help "the less fortunate" and continue to allow morons to breed. If this is human nature, we surely didn't evolve to get where we are. We are the most self destructive species on the planet. So no, his lack of acceptance of a commonly accepted THEORY does not change how I feel about Dr. Paul.

This is one of the dumber arguments I've seen against evolution.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

I do know the answer, and the answer is that the feds HAVE NO BUSINESS doing those things. If you want to fund them, fund those projects yourself. Why do people like you force me to donate at gunpoint?

Wow, exagerate much? Seems you RP supporters like to do that a lot.

I don't want to pay for a lot of things the gov't funds but it's not all about ME or YOU, it's about what's best for EVERYONE.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Fern

It's not ALL stem cell research as many here make out (and you seem to as well).

It's JUST embryonic stem cells. Big deal, let private business carry some of the research load.

Research into alt energy has been mentioned. IMO, that's justifiable gov investment because it's a national security issue.

Fern

I'm aware of that but why is it just embryonic stem cell research? I know, it's a rhetorical question. This goes back to the religious fundamentalism thing that IMO has no part in government whatsoever.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

I don't want to pay for a lot of things the gov't funds but it's not all about ME or YOU, it's about what's best for EVERYONE.

:laugh:

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

And how is that determined? Who decides that? And don't say democracy, because that's what has you and I paying for Iraq.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

What am I exaggerating? Taking everyone's money at gunpoint for your pet projects? What exactly do you think happens to people who refuse to pay taxes? They're arrested by thugs with guns.

And who are you to decide what's best for everyone? You? What an elitist piece of trash. I will decide what's best for me, that's what free men do. People that have others decide what's best for them are called slaves.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
No no no... when his gang of thugs decides what's best for everyone, that's democracy. When that other gang of thugs does the deciding, it's facism. When you point of that this is all bullsh!t, Dave trolls.

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Vic

And that has what to do with this?

The point wasn't belief, the point was the increased military expansion proposed by Huckabee, i thought that was obvious considering my suggestions.

You are really trying too hard and while you probably think you are smart, you are just proving how daft you are with each and every reply.

Jun 26, 2007
No no no... when his gang of thugs decides what's best for everyone, that's democracy. When that other gang of thugs does the deciding, it's facism. When you point of that this is all bullsh!t, Dave trolls.

Yeah, they shouldn't even be allowed to speak their mind like you get to do, right?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

The point wasn't belief, the point was the increased military expansion proposed by Huckabee, i thought that was obvious considering my suggestions.

You are really trying too hard and while you probably think you are smart, you are just proving how daft you are with each and every reply.

As you obviously failed to notice, this thread is not about Huckabee.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
No no no... when his gang of thugs decides what's best for everyone, that's democracy. When that other gang of thugs does the deciding, it's facism. When you point out that this is all bullsh!t, Dave trolls.

Yeah, they shouldn't even be allowed to speak their mind like you get to do, right?

And now you're trolling. When have I ever said that someone shouldn't allowed to speak?

Jun 26, 2007

As you obviously failed to notice, this thread is not about Huckabee.

It's about a presidential candidate, you're the only one who brought England's prime minister into this, afaik he is further from the topic than Hillary or Huckabee.

But of course, you rule the world, you are god and superior in your own mind.

Christ, where are all the normal people at?

Jun 26, 2007
No no no... when his gang of thugs decides what's best for everyone, that's democracy. When that other gang of thugs does the deciding, it's facism. When you point out that this is all bullsh!t, Dave trolls.

And now you're trolling. When have I ever said that someone shouldn't allowed to speak?

Nope, THIS: "No no no... when his gang of thugs decides what's best for everyone, that's democracy. When that other gang of thugs does the deciding, it's facism. When you point of that this is all bullsh!t, Dave trolls."

Is trolling PER DEFINITION, my mistake was that i questioned your troll.