Ron Paul officially endorses Chuck Baldwin

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Lemon law
No, you absolutely clue less libertarian types cannot see your own funeral pile burning . All these damn years, you libertarians have been advocating pure and free Adam Smith type markets, now your dirty work has been accomplished by GWB&co, and now, as a result, theory failed, regulation needed, this nation is on the verge of total economic collapse.

The only cure for libertarians now is to put head deep in toilet, flush toilet, rinse and repeat as many times as needed to finally understand that economic regulation is needed because greed is never good.
I challenge you to read this before posting again.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: SleepWalkerX
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: badkarma1399
The constitution party is too deeply rooted in religion IMO. While I agree with most of his stances, I disagree with his abortion and immigration ones. Its still a toss up for me, because overall the libertarians best represent me.

Libertarians = the Wall Street people who got us all into this economic mess having even more free reign and even less the public can do about it.

The public is doing something about it right now!! The market is! That's the beauty of the market. Even the most corrupt businesses can't compete with the actions of free people! The market is saying that house prices are too high! The market is saying that these banks, despite having the full confidence of the government, have acted recklessly and deserve to be downsized! But the government is trying to keep the system in tact and trying to patch every poor economic decision its made. Why? Why not let free people decide how goods and services should be run instead of the select beaureaucrats in washington?

Only a complete financial idiot would think that the market is acting rational, either up or down, and should be left to its own devices.

EMH is great, in a vacuum.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: nullzero
The constitution party is too deeply rooted in religion IMO. While I agree with most of his stances, I disagree with his abortion and immigration ones. Its still a toss up for me, because overall the libertarians best represent me.

Libertarians = the Wall Street people who got us all into this economic mess having even more free reign and even less the public can do about it.

Actually if we were in a true free market following Libertarian views, these greedy wallstreet people would go bankrupt and its the end of the story for them.

While causing a massive crisis for the rest of us.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
No, you absolutely clue less libertarian types cannot see your own funeral pile burning . All these damn years, you libertarians have been advocating pure and free Adam Smith type markets, now your dirty work has been accomplished by GWB&co, and now, as a result, theory failed, regulation needed, this nation is on the verge of total economic collapse.

The only cure for libertarians now is to put head deep in toilet, flush toilet, rinse and repeat as many times as needed to finally understand that economic regulation is needed because greed is never good.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For what it is worth, I read the article and also the opinion of Mich, and found some thing I could agree with, some things I disagreed with, but over all, I still remain convinced that a good part of this financial crisis has been caused by GWB&co dismantling of over a century of regulations put in place to prevent these kinds of problems from occurring.

And if any care to read their own US history, financial buccaneering of this type was far more common in the era of 100-140 years before the present day, and every few years various financial players came very close to causing a complete collapse of the economy. While the analogy does not perfectly fit this current crisis, and blaming libertarians for the completely inept asleep at the switch bumbling of GWB&co is like blaming a long dead criminal for a new crime wave, but the unmistakable by product of this current financial crisis is the complete dis crediting of most of the libertarian mythology.

Bottom line, we let the fox run the hen house, let the fox re write all the rules, add in some greed, human nature, empowered some hens to profit from the greed, and given the rotten system enough time, and now the whole hen house is on fire, and the libertarian answer is to let it all burn to the ground?

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: SP33Demon

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For what it is worth, I read the article and also the opinion of Mich, and found some thing I could agree with, some things I disagreed with, but over all, I still remain convinced that a good part of this financial crisis has been caused by GWB&co dismantling of over a century of regulations put in place to prevent these kinds of problems from occurring.

And if any care to read their own US history, financial buccaneering of this type was far more common in the era of 100-140 years before the present day, and every few years various financial players came very close to causing a complete collapse of the economy. While the analogy does not perfectly fit this current crisis, and blaming libertarians for the completely inept asleep at the switch bumbling of GWB&co is like blaming a long dead criminal for a new crime wave, but the unmistakable by product of this current financial crisis is the complete dis crediting of most of the libertarian mythology.

Bottom line, we let the fox run the hen house, let the fox re write all the rules, add in some greed, human nature, empowered some hens to profit from the greed, and given the rotten system enough time, and now the whole hen house is on fire, and the libertarian answer is to let it all burn to the ground?
Well at least you admit GWB&co aren't libertarians, even though you still think they adhere to an Invisible Hand type philosophy (Adam Smith). Rather broad paintbrush, don't you think?

The Lib answer isn't to let it all burn to the ground but to practice fiscal responsibility that doesn't include rampant borrowing and a house of cards (i.e. credit crisis). A return to the gold standard would ensure this. Sure, liquidity would be hampered but it's better than rampant borrowing IMO.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: jman19

Actually if we were in a true free market following Libertarian views, these greedy wallstreet people would go bankrupt and its the end of the story for them.

Hypothetically speaking, this mess wouldn't have happened in the first place.

Dec 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Jaskalas

Interestingly, the inflation and turmoil did not begin until AFTER the trillions in government bailout. Why make the situation worse?

don't bother, this is Craig234 you're talking to. He's just a troller.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: bamacre

...and thankfully, we will never ever have to know. We will just read about the LP talk and whine about it on the internet and other forms of news as they convince themselves that they actually hold any real power. It's all fluff and hate.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Lemon Law is right. You should just vote for McCain. Because I sure as hell don't planning on voting for Obama with the way his disciples act.

So you're gonna vote for the guy that McCain's disciples are voting for?

Me personally? No, I just like taunting Obamites.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Lemon Law is right. You should just vote for McCain. Because I sure as hell don't planning on voting for Obama with the way his disciples act.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now I have seldom seen two bigger stinking pieces of logic combined in one single post.

On logical point #1, we have Boberfett basically saying ignore this current crisis, ignore the political positions of Obama, ignore the political positions of McCain, the only criteria to judge the issues by is the behavior of those who support Obama.

Then on logical point #2, Boberfett confesses his real role on P&N is to taunt Obamites at every available opportunity.

And combined, they seem to add up to just ignore everything else, and just watch Bobber the cheerleader and follow his inspiring non thinking leadership which is to maximize Obamite misery. Which somewhat lead us back to our current crisis, yep us Obamites are really distressed by all of this misery, the problem is its distressing everyone else also, with the almost lone exceptions of Boberfett and Ossama Bin Laden.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000

I'm not entirely sure that's true... I would think a free market would have it's massive successes and failures anyway.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

I'm not entirely sure that's true... I would think a free market would have it's massive successes and failures anyway.

That's exactly what would happen. Both sides of the coin have their pros and cons. The only fools are the ones which consistently pick one side. The key is to balance that coin on a case by case basis.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

In what markets are there major problems right now? Mortgage, health care, energy? Notice a pattern?

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
In what markets are there major problems right now? Mortgage, health care, energy? Notice a pattern?

One of the biggest reasons behind the mortgage problems we are seeing now stems from the deregulation during the 80s.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Xavier434

One of the biggest reasons behind the mortgage problems we are seeing now stems from the deregulation during the 80s.

Good grief. :disgust:

These regulations were not in place to regulate anything even resembling a "free market."

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

Good grief. :disgust:

These regulations were not in place to regulate anything even resembling a "free market."

When the regulations were in place, the system was working far better than after they were removed. That is the bottom line. Were they perfect? Of course not, but they were still a lot better than this crap.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
When the regulations were in place, the system was working far better than after they were removed. That is the bottom line. Were they perfect? Of course not, but they were still a lot better than this crap.

I am not saying you are wrong, but you miss my point. The regulations were not in place to regulate a "free" mortgage market, they were regulating a market where there was already much government intervention.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddie_mac

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000

They're all highly regulated?

Do you think derivative instruments and risk taking wouldn't exist without regulation? Not likely. I do think, though, that eventually those who overstep their bounds without help from the gov't would die and those that preserve a sound system would survive. I'm not sure though that we can just let everything fall apart to get their. What we need to do is to elect those that can get us to that end state while minimizing disaster.

Evander

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2001
My vote was going to Bob Barr though I have some issues such as his voting record with the Patriot Act, but I will have a look at what Baldwin wants to bring to the table. So far I either agree with or am neutral on the bullet points he went over in the OP's video links, except for abortion which I support. I am Libertarian and wouldn't normally be interested in the Constitution Party b/c of their religious views, but Baldwin doesn't seem to have any intention of bringing a religious agenda to the presidency and even reaches out to atheists if his video below is to believed:
http://exchristian.net/2/2006/...-as-americas-most.html

Contrast that that "America is a Christian Nation" McCain:
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=9izhjnaLa3M

I know I've seen videos of Bush saying words to the effect of that he has made some presidential decisions based on god's orders, though I can't find them at the moment.

Since I'm linking candidates views on religion I might as well post this Obama clip so people can see where he fits in:
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=7wdFf7JgtU4

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now I have seldom seen two bigger stinking pieces of logic combined in one single post.

On logical point #1, we have Boberfett basically saying ignore this current crisis, ignore the political positions of Obama, ignore the political positions of McCain, the only criteria to judge the issues by is the behavior of those who support Obama.

Then on logical point #2, Boberfett confesses his real role on P&N is to taunt Obamites at every available opportunity.

And combined, they seem to add up to just ignore everything else, and just watch Bobber the cheerleader and follow his inspiring non thinking leadership which is to maximize Obamite misery. Which somewhat lead us back to our current crisis, yep us Obamites are really distressed by all of this misery, the problem is its distressing everyone else also, with the almost lone exceptions of Boberfett and Ossama Bin Laden.

Haha, now I'm being lumped with Osama Bin Laden.

Anybody need more proof to see that Democrats are as loony as Republicans?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005

Haha, now I'm being lumped with Osama Bin Laden.

Anybody need more proof to see that Democrats are as loony as Republicans?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
No bobber, its you who misses the point, as you lose sight of the entire purpose of government.

Regardless of who brings good public policy, the wisdom is of a rising tide lifting all boats, but when you call forth a pox on Obamites, and when that same pox you call forth negatively effects everyone, and your priority of misery for Obamites also causes the same misery for Cainities, we should all call you an idiot.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The purpose of government is control. The sooner fools like you understand that the sooner you'll understand why Democrats are as bad as Republicans and libertarians pursue minimal government.