Romney's imploding campaign is a myth

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I think there could be an october surprise so no one can write Romney off yet. I'd like to say no one can write anarchy off. However, I won't live to it no thanks to the fucking state!

Don't think there's really any functioning government in Somalia. Why don't you give it a try.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Thump533 says, "I absolutely guarantee there will be a flurry of articles in the next week or two about the Romney resurgence, it is as inevitable as the sun rising."

I got to question Thump.

1. Did that same metric work for McCain?

2. Even if the Ronmey campaign has to write the bulk of the articles on the Romney resurregence, as sure as the sun rises there may be 4 times as many articles about the Romney collapse if the polling data warrants it.

In short Thump, don't confuse a large volume of propaganda with facts. Remember the Paulbots are the reining experts on this forum.

Answer: Didn't work for McCain, but his collapse wasn't generally talked about until the last week or two before the election.

Romney has had a truly terrible week last week (all the damage self-inflicted) and in general a pretty bad time from the RNC and after. Him doing basically nothing recently but fund raising doesn't do jack shit for the confidence of his supporters, either-why he's doing that mystifies me unless he is banking on blowing Obama out in the first debate (won't happen IMO).

Basically the analogy I think fits is a baseball game in the sixth inning and one team is up 6-1. The press is the announcers-they are going to do everything they can to keep the viewers watching. Closeness and drama will be created. Even a flattening of Romney's decline will be cast as a possible bump/turnaround by a lot in the mediat-that is where their money is made. I also think it is almost inevitable Romney will change tactics-drop the flat out lies (sorry Ryan), get off his Johnny one-note theme and possibly even starting talking up ideas and specifics. I caught his speech at Bill Clinton's function yesterday and it was actually pretty good. Probably a one-off fluke, but who knows.

My personal belief is I certainly wouldn't be betting on Romney at this stage but it's way too early to be closing the grave. Now is definately not the time for Obama volunteers and donors to back off and go into cruise mode.

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
That said, the huffington post article is kind of ridiculous because it doesn't just come out and tell the truth which is... it doesn't matter a damn bit whether obama or Romney becomes president. [snip] dr. Paul , dr. Paul dr. Paul

That was exactly what people like the Naderites said about Bush and Gore in 2000. Certainly, history showed they were grossly incorrect. A Gore Presidency would have been vastly different than a Bush Presidency. Anyway, Romney is sounding like he wants to go to war with Iran so I don't want him anywhere near the Presidency at this point.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
The press makes it look close, no one tunes in without drama. They also bend over backwards to look unbiased. This is why they give equal time and weight to creationism and climate denial.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
The press makes it look close, no one tunes in without drama. They also bend over backwards to look unbiased. This is why they give equal time and weight to creationism and climate denial.

But when will they start giving equal time to the Flat Earth society and Flying Spaghetti Monster?

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I don't know why everyone is making the past week into anything more than a gaffe, it's just a bad week for Romney, who knows Obama might have a bad week coming right up. I mean Romney said something provocative behind closed doors, I can understand that, cause people tends to speak more of their mind when no one is watching. So let it just be that.

Jan 25, 2011
I don't know why everyone is making the past week into anything more than a gaffe, it's just a bad week for Romney, who knows Obama might have a bad week coming right up. I mean Romney said something provocative behind closed doors, I can understand that, cause people tends to speak more of their mind when no one is watching. So let it just be that.

For one it hasn't just been one week. And it wasn't just any week. It was his relaunch. The new message. Anyone know what that message was? His reset was a disaster and it just reinforced what the criticism has been of him all along.

Secondly, there's 6 weeks left to go. That's it. The luxury of time for these things to fade out of memory is damn near gone. People are hardening their decisions now and there won't be many undecideds left soon.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Don't think there's really any functioning government in Somalia. Why don't you give it a try.
I won't give it a try because the American state and the u.n are everywhere and some Somalis asked them to intervene.
That was exactly what people like the Naderites said about Bush and Gore in 2000. Certainly, history showed they were grossly incorrect. A Gore Presidency would have been vastly different than a Bush Presidency. Anyway, Romney is sounding like he wants to go to war with Iran so I don't want him anywhere near the Presidency at this point.
obama already has gone to war against Iran, he just hasn't put the boots on the ground... sanctions kill and are a path to boots on the ground. Obama has not made it officially known, but he sure has started a war against Iran and has admitted that an official war is not off the table. As for the comment about gore being the vastly different than bush, nothing could be more incorrect. It was gore who probably would've gone in sooner because his president killed about as many Iraqi civilians as bush did. Al Gore was expected to escalate the bush 41/Clinton war in Iraq just as bush was although bush only doubled the size of it while clinton did it more efficiently. He may have been given the neoconservative Democrap Lieberman because bush was given the neoconservative republican Cheney no doubt due to PNAC. Gore was a war hawk from the beginning and if bush was always a war hawk then he sure wasnt proud enough to even alude to it during the debates in y2k. In y2k, few people thought bush was going to nation build while al gore the idiot and failed political opportunist said that he was not against humanitarian wars. To say that al gore would've been vastly different from bush is one of the most irrational Ive heard in a long time. To say that there is more than 50% chance Gore would've been different from bush is pretty unreasonable considering the facts and then looking at the big picture. I'm not able to put together the big picture all the time, but how anyone with any ability to reason whatsoever can say what you said about bush and gore is beyond my comprehension.
Al gore was as dumb as a brick which resulted in his personal loss, get over it. Please.:)

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Well, if the Romney campaign isn't imploding, right wing rationalizations certainly are...

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Mitt's campaign is imploding because it is a gamble on one particular variable: consumer confidence.

But, GDP is rising, stocks are high, and consumer confidence soared last month.

Mitt has no other campaign platform. He has no public plans other than some vague unpaid promisses. Mitt put it all on the line on one statistic. He lost that gamble. Mitt now has 6 weeks (less for early voters) to come up with any reason to vote for him. And no, saying he isn't Obama isn't enough when people have a favorable view of Obama.

^^ This. He says over and over how Obama did things wrong and he can do better. But how? Where is his healthcare plan? Where is his jobs plan besides cutting taxes for the rich? Where is his tax plan? Where is his... um anything plan?

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
No Obama hasn't. Romney's comments denigrating fully half of the country have proven themselves true, though. Only a total fvcktard is still voting for him at this point if they are part of that 47%--and about half the 47% are Republicans, so for whatever reasons he hates these people many of them have proven worthy of it.

Oh,what's this? Looks like Obama blipped up 4 points in the last day.

Maybe Romney's campaign is exploding after all:

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/
Yeah, anyone believes that was simply a misstatement and did not reflect what he really thought is a moron.....especially when he basically confirmed what he said later on.
Yep, if you really believe he misspoke you're retarded. Misspeak is exactly what he didn't do. So many suspected him as a giant prick beforehand and this was the smoking gun.

Last edited: