Romney will fight marijuana legalization 'Tooth and Nail'

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Says it's a gateway drug.

‎"I would not legalize marijuana for medicinal purposes, and the reasons are straightforward: As I talk to people in my state and at the federal government level about marijuana and its role in society, they are convinced that the entry way into a drug culture for our young people is marijuana. Marijuana is the starter drug....The idea of medical marijuana is designed to get marijuana out in the public marketplace and ultimately lead to the legalization of marijuana overall. And in my view, that's the wrong way to go. I know that other people have differing views. If you'd like to get someone who is in favor of marijuana, I know there are some on the Democratic side of the aisle who will be happy to get in your campaign. But I'm opposed to it, and if you elect me president, you're not going to see legalized marijuana. I'm going to fight it tooth and nail."

-Mitt Romney

http://reason.com/blog/2012/09/07/romney-vows-to-fight-marijuana-legalizat

Last edited by a moderator:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
big deal. that's not a game changer.

Obama is not legalizing it either. in fact they are cracking down on medical harder then before.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
You've been a member here 10 years, time to figure out the right place for this inflammatory nonsense.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
big deal. that's not a game changer.

Obama is not legalizing it either. in fact they are cracking down on medical harder then before.

There's a difference though. Obummer smoked it, and his original stance was that MMJ was ok if the state's allowed it. I suspect he'll loosen up in his 2nd term, but didn't test the waters because he didn't want to risk the fallout.

Mitt's straightup saying he doesn't understand the reality of the drug.

pelov

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2011
That's only because he wants to keep all the pot for himself. You know Romney's got to have a stash somewhere in those magical undergarments.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
The gateway to marijuana is tobacco. We should make tobacco illegal.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
There's a difference though. Obummer smoked it, and his original stance was that MMJ was ok if the state's allowed it. I suspect he'll loosen up in his 2nd term, but didn't test the waters because he didn't want to risk the fallout.

Mitt's straightup saying he doesn't understand the reality of the drug.

try to spinn it all you want. NO matter who is president either Romney or OBama MMJ is NOT going to be legal.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001

I fear Romney would start bringing back phrases like "public enemy #1" and shit. Obama hasn't been nearly the friend he advertised himself as before 2008, what with allowing his own memos to be entirely ignored by the DEA. However, Romney has only ever painted himself as an enemy to the idea of even MMJ.

Last edited:

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
Let's see, if this guy is in office, Bankers will leave White house and Big oil move in.

Which makes perfect sense for the fight against weed.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what they do. Not going away regardless what they do.

Vic Vega

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2010
Government, both Democrats and Republicans get a shit load of money from big pharm. They don't want you taking a drug you can grow for basically free in your back yard, they want you taking their drug which costs an arm and a leg. They have both spend the last 50 years convincing the huddled masses that pot, and other easily obtained drugs are terrible and people are so dumb they believe it and support it.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Never thought i'd say this, but it actually is a gateway drug. Most people wouldn't go from having a beer to snorting a line.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Never thought i'd say this, but it actually is a gateway drug. Most people wouldn't go from having a beer to snorting a line.

Most people will go Alcohol -> MJ -> snorting a line ;)

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Gotta love how someone running for president can openly spew nonsense and ignorance, and people will still vote for him.

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
I've used alcohol and MJ, and never have had any interesting in "snorting a line".

Talk of drug legalization is "talk only". No action will be taken, ever, to change it's legality. Even at a state level, it will still be illegal. The American people are brainwashed, and that is the biggest obstacle. Not to mention, the big wigs know it will hurt their pharmaceutical sales.

The government and large corporations stacked the deck. I'm not even sure why it is part of discussion anymore. I pretty much treat it like it is legal, and will openly talk about my use with it and offer it to others.

Last edited: