Romney/Ryan: the "Hope and Change" of 2012

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
That will be a real issue. But the President has the bully pulpit and while Obama has only paid lip service to debt control while running up annual trillion dollar deficits while saying he needs to spend even more to do his payoffs, my guess is that the Senate Dems will be under tremendous pressure, after 1,300 days without passing a budget, to pass one.

One step at a time. One step at a time.

Also eating the cake will cause you to grow several times in size!

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
True. We have met the enemy and he is us. The voters are to blame, we keep electing lousy politicians and then complain when they are lousy. Now we've dug ourselves into a financial hole that I don't think we'll be able to dig ourselves out of no matter who gets elected.
Agreed. The only question is whether we'll continue to dig ever faster, or a hair slower.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Y
It should come as a shock to no one that Obama's first term has been, no matter how you look at it, a huge disappointment. Whether you voted for him in 2008 or not, you should be either disappointed by the things he hasn't done or disappointed by what he has done.

Enter Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan as the two-party-system alternative to Obama/Biden this election cycle.

Now the praise, adoration, and hope is placed in them as the saviors of the country... just as it was placed in Obama/Biden 4 years ago.

Does anyone else but me have an extraordinarily strong sense of deja vu?

Far too many of you here on P&N and across the country will vote for Romney/Ryan expecting hope and change and will, mark my words, be extremely disappointed.

Some say "well, even a little better than Obama is good enough". No! It is not! Not only are we not going to get "a little better than Obama", we're not going to get any better than Obama.

Campaigning is not governing. Romney has been campaigning the last 4 years, Obama has been governing. Campaign promises inevitably run into the indestructible wall of the federal government... where they die or get mutated into all of the monsters we've had thrust upon us throughout the decades.

There is simply no reason, whatsoever, to believe that Romney/Ryan will be any better than Obama/Biden. Partisan blinders aren't gonna cut it. Republican "hope and change" isn't any less of a joke than Democratic "hope and change".

Vote 3rd-party. Vote write-in. Or, if nothing else, don't vote in the presidential race at all.

A few functioning brain cells should tell you that Obama will be better than Romney and that a third party or no vote will only help Romney win because a third party this time sure as hell won't win.

Only a complete and total asshole would vote or not vote and further the cause of the greater evil. But then, there are millions of fools who will vote for Romney, so it only stands to reason that many more and only somewhat less deluded.

Do what you can to save your country and vote for Obama. However bad democrats may be, they aren't in the total grips of madness like Republicans are. Even a small measure of sanity needs your vote.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
A few functioning brain cells should tell you that Obama will be better than Romney and that a third party or no vote will only help Romney win because a third party this time sure as hell won't win.

That's quite amusing, because I've heard that an awful lot. Here's how it has broken down:

- Obama supporters have invariably told me that a vote for a 3rd-party will only help Romney.

- Romney supporters have invariably told me that a vote for a 3rd-party will only help Obama.

Both of them can't be right, so I choose to believe neither.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
zsdersw, this is one case where both can be right. It depends entirely on whom the third party is.

Ralph Nader cost Gore the presidency in 2000. A big vote for Gary Johnson this year could cost Romney the presidency.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
zsdersw, this is one case where both can be right. It depends entirely on whom the third party is.

Ralph Nader cost Gore the presidency in 2000. A big vote for Gary Johnson this year could cost Romney the presidency.

True. I only asked that folk vote with their heads. Only Obama or Romney can win and I can't see any reasonable doubt that Romney is devoid of Presidential character. It is very conservative to stick with the devil you know than to risk the Presidency to a man devoid of normal human reactions and emotions and who can say anything and any time depending on whom he is trying to please. That's slime behavior.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

I'd say Gore should have been a better candidate, and if Romney loses, he should have been a better candidate. Neither side is entitled to votes the other major party isn't going to get.

However I utterly reject the concept that one should do anything except vote for Romney. That's merely saying Obama stinks, but one should still support him even if only passively. Both are perfectly acceptable candidates, whether or not one chooses to vote for either.