Romney: Obama did not raise taxes (And I'm not even trying to win any more)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Eh, I find little remarks like these barely worth commenting upon. The fact of the matter is both candidates and their VP picks have been literally on a bus or plane non-stop for months now, with minimal sleep a night and having to meet and speak to another thousand or so people a day. You will flub your lines or ramble incoherently at some point, guaranteed. I personally will allow for them to be human.

I agree with this view, they are tired and been doing this like a job, it's hard not to make a mistake. so just let it be, a human mistake.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patient_Protection_and_Affordable_Care_Act

Unearned Income includes Capital Gains. The effect rate of tax on Capital Gains with new tax is 18.8% now.

The new tax also applies to Dividends, Interest, Home Sale, Rental, and all other unearned income. If the tax break on Dividends expires, the tax on dividends will raise to 42.8%, and if the 5% cut on capital gains tax expires capital gains will increase to 23.8%.

So it hasn't taken place yet (Jan. 1st, 2013)? For that matter, all of the other tax cuts expire then so might as well count them too as tax increase while at it.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Um...what is the problem? Obama has not raise income taxes yet. Although he has called for them to be raised and they very well may be once the Bush tax rates expire this year.

So guess the real news is that you have a complete lack reading comprehension. But I guess that isn't really news, is it.

No, Mr Obama did not raise taxes the GOP and their talking heads have often stated that he has. Is the OP saying that Mr Romney should repeat the lie that Mr Obama raises taxes>

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Queue Obama's next campaign ad, showing a clip of Romney excoriating him for raising taxes followed by the clip of him saying Obama hasn't raised taxes.

I'm pretty sure Romney meant to say income taxes and just left out the word "income." He's had several more serious gaffes than this one.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
If the tax break on Dividends expires, the tax on dividends will raise to 42.8%, and if the 5% cut on capital gains tax expires capital gains will increase to 23.8%.

That 42.8% on dividends seems unlikely... Source?

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
So it hasn't taken place yet (Jan. 1st, 2013)? For that matter, all of the other tax cuts expire then so might as well count them too as tax increase while at it.

The difference is those are expiring, this was passed just last year. There is no debate if Capital gains will remain at 15%, no the question is 23.8% or 18.8%.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Proselytize and spend it on political causes such as the anti-gay ballot initiative in California.

Exactly, they are a insular cult. One that has been anti-American from the get-go.

A shame the US Army didn't catch them before they made it to SLC to rob and murder Oregon/CA settlers and insert themselves into politics.

(I have a few mormons in my family quite high up in SLC -they are good people when it comes to outward appearances, but are utterly devoted to themselves to the point that they will disavow their own blood even if they get out of line with the churchs cult agenda.)

Creepy. Luckily most now have come around, but it tooks years of literally "deprogramming" them into normal society.

I try not to think of the consequences of having a mormon running the USA because of personal experiences with them. It is all too real to me. They have no love for anyone but their own and think America itself is evil. Cultism with a well-groomed smile and sharp suit.

If I did finally decide to stick my finger down my throat and vote for Obama, this would be why.

Last edited:

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The difference is those are expiring, this was passed just last year. There is no debate if Capital gains will remain at 15%, no the question is 23.8% or 18.8%.

Ok, so it took 3.9 years to get a small tax raise on a very small amount of people (with most of them at the top). Otherwise, he has cut taxes for everyone over the last 2 years and kept rates low by extending the other cuts that entire time too. This doesn't include many credits that have been passed since he took office too. Sure sounds like a tax and spend....er spend liberal to me.