Romney: Obama did not raise taxes (And I'm not even trying to win any more)

Jan 25, 2011
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/09/romney-obama-did-not-raise-taxes/

Mitt Romney strayed from his own campaign’s talking points during a “reset” rally with running mate Paul Ryan today in Ohio.

In the midst of remarks otherwise ridiculing the president’s tax record, Romney said: “I admit this, [President Obama] has one thing he did not do in his first four years — he’s said he’s going to do in the next four years, which is to raise taxes.”
Behind him, Ryan appeared to wince at the mention.

I just don't even know what to say any more. This implosion the last few weeks has been just... wtf?!

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
When you're running for president just to lower your own taxes (look at Berlusconi in Italy and all he did for himself while Italy burned) even you start to get weary.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/09/romney-obama-did-not-raise-taxes/

I just don't even know what to say any more. This implosion the last few weeks has been just... wtf?!

Um...what is the problem? Obama has not raise income taxes yet. Although he has called for them to be raised and they very well may be once the Bush tax rates expire this year.

So guess the real news is that you have a complete lack reading comprehension. But I guess that isn't really news, is it.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Eh, I find little remarks like these barely worth commenting upon. The fact of the matter is both candidates and their VP picks have been literally on a bus or plane non-stop for months now, with minimal sleep a night and having to meet and speak to another thousand or so people a day. You will flub your lines or ramble incoherently at some point, guaranteed. I personally will allow for them to be human.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
When you're running for president just to lower your own taxes (look at Berlusconi in Italy and all he did for himself while Italy burned) even you start to get weary.

Oh, is that the new meme now? Romney is just running for president so he can lower his own tax rate? Even though the tax returns he just released show that he paid vastly more taxes than what was strictly required, and donated ~a third of his income to charity? But Romeny is just an evil greedy businessman that wants to spend tens of millions of dollars to get into the white house so he can lower his own tax rates. Even though being president will entail a pay cut from ~$20 million to $200,000. Right. Gotcha.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Obama has not only not raised taxes (by extending the Bush tax cuts), he has actually cut taxes via the temporary SS tax cut and other tax credits.

Since he told the audience that's Obama is going to raise taxes, the audience all must be making 250k (family) or more. Obviously not part of the "47%". :awe:

Last edited:

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
IIRC, Obama ran on a platform in 2008 where he said that he would keep taxes the same for individuals making up to 200K, and families up to 250K. He never said he wanted to keep taxes the same for everyone.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Um...what is the problem? Obama has not raise income taxes yet. Although he has called for them to be raised and they very well may be once the Bush tax rates expire this year.

So guess the real news is that you have a complete lack reading comprehension. But I guess that isn't really news, is it.

I wouldn't really call them the Bush tax cuts any more. The Bush tax cuts expired in 2010 - Obama compromised in 2010 with the Republicans and decided to keep rates at the same levels for two additional years.

These are very much the Obama tax cuts now, since he ultimately signed off on them.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

The problem is the right has spent the last three years spreading FUD about all of Obama's tax increases, and especially him breaking his promise by raising taxes on the middle class. I believe at least one of Romney's current campaign ads makes this claim, or at least insinuates it. Thus, Romney just contradicted one of the right's key talking points.

Which, by the way, was already explained in the OP:
"Mitt Romney strayed from his own campaign’s talking points ..."
So yes, we are dealing with a reading comprehension problem here. It is not MomentofSanity's, however.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Obama has not only not raised taxes (by extending the Bush tax cuts), he has actually cut taxes via the temporary SS tax cut and other tax credits. ...
Flag on the play. Personal foul, using facts to refute talking points.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Obama actually did raise taxes, Investments such as capital gains have been raised by 3.8% for those making more than 200,000/250,000.

Not that it is a bad thing, I think it should be raised more.

Jan 25, 2011

That hasn't been the argument from the Romney campaign so far. Their talking points have been that Obama has repeatedly raised taxes. I believe 19 times was what Romney's campaign indicated. They didn't make any distinction back then on income taxes.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Oh, is that the new meme now? Romney is just running for president so he can lower his own tax rate? Even though the tax returns he just released show that he paid vastly more taxes than what was strictly required, and donated ~a third of his income to charity? But Romeny is just an evil greedy businessman that wants to spend tens of millions of dollars to get into the white house so he can lower his own tax rates. Even though being president will entail a pay cut from ~$20 million to $200,000. Right. Gotcha.

Giving money to a cult is not the same as donating to charity. And, yes, Romney gets most of his income from capital gains. He wants to lower the tax on that to lik 2%...

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
And what do you think the Mormon Church does with the money?

Building castles certainly does not seem like charity:

salt-lake-mormon-temple.jpg

washington-mormon-temple2.jpg

Last edited:

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Obama actually did raise taxes, Investments such as capital gains have been raised by 3.8% for those making more than 200,000/250,000.

Not that it is a bad thing, I think it should be raised more.

Obviously, that increase (that I have never read about until now) doesn't effect the "47%" that's going to vote for Obama no matter what.....so who cares about that raise (assuming there was a raise - anyone have a link to that)?

Last I saw, capital gains were still capped at 15% no matter how much money you have made.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Proselytize and spend it on political causes such as the anti-gay ballot initiative in California.

So should I be able to pick which liberal charities I do not think should be tax deductible too?

EDIT: I wonder how many pro-gay marriage groups get tax deductible donations?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Sooo dishonest.

Romney didn't claim all of his deductions as a ploy to keep his perceived tax rate higher. He can amend his return to claim them any time over the next 3 years. That'd be strictly between him & the IRS. After he loses the election, he'll likely do so.

Of course a guy who's worth north of $250M can give a lot to charity, particularly if it's his own religion. He achieved financial saturation wrt his lifestyle long ago. He has no practical personal use for more money, but he's making it anyway.

He won't lose a dime if elected, either. He's already "retired", his assets are already in a "blind" (hah!) trust, and he's not required to divest himself of anything.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I saw that reported in this morning's paper and was flabbergasted. Romney and/or Ryan has falsely claimed literally hundreds of times in their stump speeches that Obama did raise taxes on the middle class.

I fully expect a "clarification" from the Romney campaign shortly, and am surprised they haven't issued it yet.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Romney tells the truth and thats news?

Nice to see reality is part of the reset.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Obviously, that increase (that I have never read about until now) doesn't effect the "47%" that's going to vote for Obama no matter what.....so who cares about that raise (assuming there was a raise - anyone have a link to that)?

Last I saw, capital gains were still capped at 15% no matter how much money you have made.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patient_Protection_and_Affordable_Care_Act

Effective by January 1, 2013
  • Income from self-employment and wages of single individuals in excess of $200,000 annually will be subject to an additional tax of 0.9%. The threshold amount is $250,000 for a married couple filing jointly (threshold applies to joint compensation of the two spouses), or $125,000 for a married person filing separately.[84] In addition, an additional Medicare tax of 3.8% will apply to unearned income, specifically the lesser of net investment income or the amount by which adjusted gross income exceeds $200,000 ($250,000 for a married couple filing jointly; $125,000 for a married person filing separately.)[85]

Unearned Income includes Capital Gains. The effect rate of tax on Capital Gains with new tax is 18.8% now.

The new tax also applies to Dividends, Interest, Home Sale, Rental, and all other unearned income. If the tax break on Dividends expires, the tax on dividends will raise to 42.8%, and if the 5% cut on capital gains tax expires capital gains will increase to 23.8%.

Last edited:

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Romney is of course lying. When you deficit spend multiple trillions of dollars, in collusion with the Fed who buys those bonds, you get a massive currency devaluation. Everyone's money is devalued, which is the exact same thing as a tax. But try to tell this to the 100 million dumbed down Obomney worshipping fools out there...