Romney Endorses McCain

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: drbrock
people have been commenting that Huck will be the running mate, but I would see mitt being with him before huckabee.

I doubt it. He will pick someone with a strong conservative reputation, but Huckabee is a loon, I can't see McCain taking him onboard.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
http://spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=12741

First, consider what McCain should not look for. Among those irrelevant considerations is a high profile. Nobody, absolutely nobody, is less in need of a running mate with a huge name or a big personality than John McCain is. McCain is so well known, and his "brand" so familiar, and his personality so seared into the public consciousness already that if he chooses a political rock star he will just overload the public's senses.

McCain should not move left with his choice. Some in the media see certain secretaries of state or Democratic senators or "moderate" GOP governors as ideal choices -- but they are wrong. What McCain needs, in order to free himself up to thrust and parry with the Democratic nominee, is somebody who can spend all his (or her) campaign time tending to restless conservatives.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Fern
Endorsing McCain now?

What's the point really?

The race is over.

The only interesting thing would be if it made Huck get out sooner. I'm bored hearing about Don Qixote campaign. Put another real news story in it's place.

At this point any endorsement for McCain isn't newsworthy IMO unless it's a Dem.

Fern

I think it makes a difference. Once McCain has the nomination wrapped up in numbers, and not just in theory, Huckabee goes away.

McCain doesn't want to spend any more money campaigning in the primary than he has too. I'm sure he'd also like to hear an end to the stories about how the conservative base is voting for his opponent instead of him.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: FoBoT
http://spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=12741

First, consider what McCain should not look for. Among those irrelevant considerations is a high profile. Nobody, absolutely nobody, is less in need of a running mate with a huge name or a big personality than John McCain is. McCain is so well known, and his "brand" so familiar, and his personality so seared into the public consciousness already that if he chooses a political rock star he will just overload the public's senses.

McCain should not move left with his choice. Some in the media see certain secretaries of state or Democratic senators or "moderate" GOP governors as ideal choices -- but they are wrong. What McCain needs, in order to free himself up to thrust and parry with the Democratic nominee, is somebody who can spend all his (or her) campaign time tending to restless conservatives.

This is all definitely true. What conservative Republican governors are there who might be appealing in this role? It seems to me he would want someone younger and more telegenic than himself (though admittedly most governors would fit into that category). Here in Minnesota many people think our own Tim Pawlenty is a likely choice, but I don't see it - he's not really got the kind of conservative credentials you'd think McCain would look for.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Recently there was an AP article talking the possibility of our (NC) Senator Burr being his VP choice. Aparrently the guy's been doing a lot of campaigning with/for McCain, traveling around with him etc.

I don't know much about him, he's fairly young and apparently really well liked by the conservative establishment.

I suppose we can look forward to someone who kinda of a suprise and not well known.

I think any talk about Mitt or Huck is BS.

Fern

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Unless Huck garners momentum (which,m frankly, in this election anything is possible), this only does one thing: guarantees a liberal, both financially and socially, to sit as next president.

On a side note, this really is a crazy election. 6 months ago people were saying Rudy was the shoe in. And where did Huck come from? Outta nowhere.

Who knows. All I know is in 4 years our current debt will pale in comparison.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
McCain will need to choose a very strong Conservative as his running mate, in hopes of appeasing some of the base.