Romney Campaign Expecting a Loss in the Presidential Debates

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Boy that Biffy is one swell debater! Very insightful and persuasive.

I agree with DVC's predictions for this debate but I'd also like to add a warning to be well rested if you intend to stay awake for the whole thing. IMO it promises to be a defensive game where each is focusing almost exclusively on not making a blunder, ie, a real snoozefest.

I'm sure similar emails are being cranked out by the Obama campaign-both are trying to lower expectations.

It's pretty ironic that so much time and attention is devoted to the debates (I'm guilty myself) as debating is a skill not used by a President at all.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Boy that Biffy is one swell debater! Very insightful and persuasive.

I agree with DVC's predictions for this debate but I'd also like to add a warning to be well rested if you intend to stay awake for the whole thing. IMO it promises to be a defensive game where each is focusing almost exclusively on not making a blunder, ie, a real snoozefest.

I'm sure similar emails are being cranked out by the Obama campaign-both are trying to lower expectations.

It's pretty ironic that so much time and attention is devoted to the debates (I'm guilty myself) as debating is a skill not used by a President at all.

:thumbsup:

You can adopt the persona of asshole nihilist all day long, but if that is really your attitude toward this process, why are you even participating in this forum?

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
I think the parties give whoever is hosting the debates the questions to ask them. That is my take on it anyways :p

You either ask these questions or we wont come to the debate kind of thing. lol

I'm pretty sure that isn't the case, for one simple reason. Palin's scripted answers which she rote memorized did not always fit the question very well. It was pretty clear that they came up with a list of possible issues that could be covered by the questions, then gave her x number of statements to memorize based on those issues. Had they known the questions, the answers she memorized would have been better tailored to the questions.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'm pretty sure that isn't the case, for one simple reason. Palin's scripted answers which she rote memorized did not always fit the question very well. It was pretty clear that they came up with a list of possible issues that could be covered by the questions, then gave her x number of statements to memorize based on those issues. Had they known the questions, the answers she memorized would have been better tailored to the questions.
Nothing more annoying than watching a politician sidestep a question by shoehorning in a barely applicable talking point.

Some people think the Republican platform regarding personhood for every embryo could be a problem with regard to rape victims. How do you respond to that?
As president I will defend the values of traditional marriage ... blah blah ... family values ... blah blah ... hollywood destroying morals ... no mention of the original issue at all.

:confused:

Just once I'd like to see someone call them out on this bullshit. "I asked you about the consequences your policy will have on rape victims and your answer is that you will defend traditional marriage? What does traditional marriage have to do with not allowing a rape victim to abort the resulting pregnancy?"

Last edited: