Romney: Binders full of women

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
How is it a lie? How is

"And -- and so we -- we took a concerted effort to go out and find women who had backgrounds that could be qualified to become members of our cabinet.

I went to a number of women's groups and said, "Can you help us find folks," and they brought us whole binders full of women."

mutually exclusive to

"There were more than 40 organizations involved with the Massachusetts Women's Political Caucus (also bipartisan) as the lead sponsor.

They did the research and put together the binder full of women qualified for all the different cabinet positions, agency heads, and authorities and commissions. They presented this binder to Governor Romney when he was elected."

? Hint? It's not.

There was no "We". Romney didn't go to any groups to obtain this "Binder-full-o-women". He did not take initiative to create the binder. The binder was constructed independently, before Mitt was even Governor and without the intent to help Mitt. It was made for whoever was going to take office. He made it sound like it was his plan to do this. It was not.

Keep spinning!

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000

Wow what great insight you have there.

The fact of the matter is there are more women staying at home and caring for children now than there was 40 years ago*, so if you want to reach out to female talent, you better make the work conditions compatible with that reality.

*data from the 2009 census research I linked in the previous post.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Wow what great insight you have there.

The fact of the matter is there are more women staying at home and caring for children now than there was 40 years ago*, so if you want to reach out to female talent, you better make the work conditions compatible with that reality.

*data from the 2009 census research I linked in the previous post.

The fact of the matter is, you perceived my post as some feminist rant when i was really making fun of what Mitt Romney said..but of course, all you guys know how to sling here is shit.

Call me some more names. It really helps to get your point across.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
The fact of the matter is, you perceived my post as some feminist rant when i was really making fun of what Mitt Romney said..but of course, all you guys know how to sling here is shit.

Call me some more names. It really helps to get your point across.

First of, ad hominem doesn't mean what you think it means. Calling to the lack of substance in your posts does not one make.

Secondly, you're making fun of something that Romney said, even thought it's correct from both talent management and empirical perspective? Why not save the trouble and just have "Don't like Romney" in your clipboard for ctrl+v purposes?

Last edited:

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Also remember that the question was NOT about whether Romney hired women. The question was about ensuring equal pay for women for equal work. Romney totally dodged that question, something my wife immediately called out, and that I heard mentioned again in the office today. His "binders full of women" gaffe was just salt in the wound.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
has it been verified that Romney didn't pick his woman staff? or do we still have the one blog source?

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
First of, ad hominem doesn't mean what you think it means. Calling to the lack of substance in your posts does not one make.

Secondly, you're making fun of something that Romney said, even thought it's correct from both talent management and empirical perspective? Why not save the trouble and just have "Don't like Romney" in your clipboard for ctrl+v purposes?

"Don't like Romney""Don't like Romney""Don't like Romney""Don't like Romney""Don't like Romney""Don't like Romney""Don't like Romney""Don't like Romney""Don't like Romney"v"Don't like Romney"v"Don't like Romney""Don't like Romney""Don't like Romney""Don't like Romney""Don't like Romney""Don't like Romney""Don't like Romney""Don't like Romney""Don't like Romney""Don't like Romney""Don't like Romney""Don't like Romney""Don't like Romney""Don't like Romney""Don't like Romney""Don't like Romney""Don't like Romney""Don't like Romney""Don't like Romney""Don't like Romney"

Happy now? God forbid I make a joke about an assumption that his female employees will need to get off early to take care of home...all women have kids and stuff, you know?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Also remember that the question was NOT about whether Romney hired women. The question was about ensuring equal pay for women for equal work. Romney totally dodged that question, something my wife immediately called out, and that I heard mentioned again in the office today. His "binders full of women" gaffe was just salt in the wound.

How do you answer a question that is predicated on a lie?

It would be like if a neo-nazi asked Romney what he was going to do about the Jewish "problem"*. Assuming neonazis were a swing voter group.

* since there is no jewish problem obviously he cant answer it. But he cant called the person on the question because he needs their vote.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

There Is No Male-Female Wage Gap

May seem reasonable to dodge a question left over from a previous generation, where the basic premise is no longer relevant today.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
How do you answer a question that is predicated on a lie?

It would be like if a neo-nazi asked Romney what he was going to do about the Jewish "problem"*. Assuming neonazis were a swing voter group.

* since there is no jewish problem obviously he cant answer it. But he cant called the person on the question because he needs their vote.

What lie was that?

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
There Is No Male-Female Wage Gap

May seem reasonable to dodge a question left over from a previous generation, where the basic premise is no longer relevant today.
So you found a WSJ op-ed that excuses the business status quo, contradicting all the more established data available. Color me shocked. You'll have to do better than that if you want to convince anyone other than the die-hard righties.

Take just this one example from your link:
"Given that women are outpacing men in educational attainment, and that our economy is increasingly geared toward knowledge-based jobs, it makes sense that women's earnings are going up compared to men's."
Do you see what that says? It says women are more highly-qualified than men, so they are catching up in earnings. Unfortunately, the issue is equal pay for equal work. This WSJ op-ed isn't attempting an apples to apples comparison. It's just blowing smoke and hoping the rubes will buy it.

Edit: BTW, if Romney truly believed there was no inequality, that would have been a much more effective response than the dodge he used. That he didn't try to deny the statistics, even slightly, strongly suggests he knows full well they're accurate.

Last edited:

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
there is no male/female wage gap!?

seriously? who is saying that?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
So what Romney did is fine by you, because you feel it is ok to discriminate in the workplace by sex. Got it! ;)

Okay, that burns. Not sure if most people saw it.

What's funny is Romney applied the classic defense "I hire women too!, in fact I'm the best at hiring women!" to fend off the Left's demand for affirmative action, or a sexist claim against a Republican. Then they go ahead and attack him over it anyway.

Back to discrimination... Romney clearly feels he can hire whoever the hell he wants, while at the same time appeasing the mob. It's not hypocritical to do something, and at the same time yielding others the freedom to do something else.

Personally, no, none of it should ever be a factor. Should I use government to force that on others, in anyway? Now that's a tough question. Do we force discrimination or non-discrimination, or just let folks do what they want?

Ideally government does not get involved. If someone's behavior is despicable (discrimination), you should have the liberty to tell them off, and 'vote' with your feet, your wallet, and your voice. They don't get the business of you or your friends. Case closed?

Well.. then there's government. Can't exactly tell them to F' off if their hiring is discriminatory. I guess that is where your vote comes in. Does it bother me that Romney "discriminated" against men? Not really, does it bother you?

Neither of us will ever vote for him anyway.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
there is no male/female wage gap!?

seriously? who is saying that?

Follow the link? The Wall Street Journal, last year.

The unemployment rate is consistently higher among men
The participation rate fell more among men
Then they go into some details about different work hours, conditions, jobs and conclude:
Recent studies have shown that the wage gap shrinks—or even reverses—when relevant factors are taken into account and comparisons are made between men and women in similar circumstances.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Ideally government does not get involved. If someone's behavior is despicable (discrimination), you should have the liberty to tell them off, and 'vote' with your feet, your wallet, and your voice. They don't get the business of you or your friends. Case closed?

Yeah, I guess I'd take issue with that since the South did it up to 1964 and I happen to be a fan of civil rights laws.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Was there a law forcing him to do it?

Christ... you folks can't even tell the difference between being forced to do something and choosing it for yourself...

fare enough, and I think you guys are making good points--women that have worked for him were happy and all that...but I think that misses what seems to have happened.

Like many here, I didn't see any kind of offense in what he said last night.

Only today, I learned his assessment was a lie (he was approached with this lady binder--he never requested it). Also, I learned that plenty of women took his comments as directly offensive--that he had to go out of his way to do this, and that he would have to "make some compromises with schedules to get women to hold these positions" --you know, because it's the right thing to do.

I missed that....but that really doesn't matter.

What matters, and I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that the 100% of males in this thread that are all gay for Romney won't understand my point--but what matters is that Romney was already reviled by women, en mass, before this debate. It appears that his comments further offended the majority of them.

This is very simple, guys: No amount of your defending his history of this is gonna make a difference. Romney seems to have further offended a majority of this population that already distrusts him. Good luck trying to explain to a woman why they shouldn't be offended, because you saw it differently.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
romneybinders-2.jpg

women-in-binders-link.png

best_of_the_binders_full_of_women_mitt_romney_meme-165218.jpg

Your welcome.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
How is it a lie? How is

"And -- and so we -- we took a concerted effort to go out and find women who had backgrounds that could be qualified to become members of our cabinet.

I went to a number of women's groups and said, "Can you help us find folks," and they brought us whole binders full of women."

mutually exclusive to

"There were more than 40 organizations involved with the Massachusetts Women's Political Caucus (also bipartisan) as the lead sponsor.

They did the research and put together the binder full of women qualified for all the different cabinet positions, agency heads, and authorities and commissions. They presented this binder to Governor Romney when he was elected."

? Hint? It's not.

I bolded the lie.

He didn't go after anything. Romney was approached before he took office, and even considered his cabinet. It was part of the starting information he had to go by.

As you may recall he stated that he (paraphrasing) "looked around the room, and saw nothing but men, and thought--Gee, can't we do better than this? There has to be some qualified women, right guys?"

It seems likely that this never happened. He never requested candidates, or a binder--it was waiting for him, and created by a lobbying group ahead of his taking office.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
What offense, that his staff collected information on eligible women to fill positions?

Yes... hiring women is a hell of an offense, how dare he! Can totally see where their outrage is coming from.

how is it a guy in business all that time didn"t know any himself?