Romney 2016 or Obama 2016

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
To quote a line from a movie: "We shall see", says the Zen master.
Seriously, you think he's going to be back? He's pretty much just an empty vessel for the Republicans and was the least objectionable person in the primary. Far more people are voting against Obama than are voting for Romney. If Republicans are stuck in the past, I think Jeb Bush would have a better chance. I actually think that if Jeb decided to run he would basically become the front runner.

Christie is an interesting guy but I think he's too much like a Joe Biden in that he just says whatever he wants to without thinking and he seems like quite a hot head. That can play in a state election, but I just don't think he could survive a year long national primary followed by a six month general election.

I think Clinton will run in 2016 and probably get the nomination. We'll have to find out the facts about Libya after the election, but I doubt there's anything solid attached to her. There are suggestions from her that she may stay on as SoS but in general it seems like she'll step down and let Kerry take over. If she does stay on for more than a year, I don't think she'd run in 2016. I can't see her wanting to stay on as SoS and then step down to immediately begin a campaign. Who knows though? Perhaps she feels close to an agreement with Iran and wants to have that as her SoS legacy.

I think we'll get a good idea about Clinton when she steps down as SoS. Democrats are going to want to know very early with her because the money would instantly back her if she ran. Biden is still keeping his name in talks about who the nominee would be, but I don't think he'll run. He just likes the attention and historically assumed to be running for President. He's just too old and has too much baggage to win the Presidency on his own. Although, I think he'd be the biggest challenge to Clinton.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Don't know about Biden. He'll be around 74 years old in 2016.

Not a dealbreaker in my view. People laugh Biden off but if Obama's second term is good, Biden is a contender. The man is a gifted politician. He's a natural the likes of Bill Clinton, who can bring in the white vote while still hanging on to the new Democratic coalition.

And actually his reputation for gaffes could help him. He can really say whatever he wants and get away with it because he's caricatured as our favorite uncle.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Hopefully Obama will sink back into Chicago politics and stay there .. and if Romney loses maybe just move somewhere warm and live a comfortable life off his investments.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Biden is not running.

My early favorite for a competitor to Clinton is Cuomo. He's very, very popular in NYS. Even among Republicans. (Though Republicans in the NE tend to be a lot more sane than those in the south.)

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
and obama will go on to create something simalar to what bill did.. clinton/obama global initiative anyone?? hell yes, sounds good to me.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Clinton/O'Donnel v Bachman/Palin

Time to put a WOMAN in the white MANsion.

jstern01

Mar 25, 2010
On the republican side, most likely Jeb Bush. He was enormously popular in Florida and the south in general, has the Bush name and people tend to forget stuff like what Dubya did.

On the democrat side, it will most likely be Hillary, she has paid the dues and has her husband and Obama to help with the rest of the democratic based.

Now it comes down to who they partner with. Jeb would probably look for a midwestern again, since the northeast is pretty much in the bag for Democrat's and that is not changing anytime soon. So he needs someone to secure the midwest, and the White house would be a easy path.

For Hillary, she now has all the experience that many who criticize her about, foreign policy, big government experience .... So she needs someone to help cut into the southern white male block.

If She can get a solid Democratic white male that has half a brain, the race for the White house would be very tight come Nov. 2016.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
Clinton/O'Donnel v Bachman/Palin

Time to put a WOMAN in the white MANsion.
Wait...is that Rosie O'Donnell or Christine O'Donnell? Not that it matters, they both are crazy, I'm just curious. If you're going to go Republican women, at least choose Rice and maybe Mia Love as a wild card.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
I would expect Santorum, Christie, Rand Paul, Rubio, and a few no names on the Republicans side.

I doubt Hillary or Biden runs, more than likely some new blood on their front.

I don't see Jeb running only because of Dubya.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Christine O'Donnell is a Republican tea partier who is not a witch and hates masturbation.

Crap, i meant Elizabeth Warren. Both are batshit insane, mixed them up.

You know, if in my youth some 35 years ago, someone with a time machine came and showed me that I would be saying about a Republican candidate for Senator that she wasn't a witch and hates masterburation I would wonder what kind of crazy mixed up place the future was.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
I would assume if a president can't get re-elected for an immediate 2nd term he wouldn't stand much of a chance if he got beat after his first term and came back 4 years later to try and win.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
PUCz9L