RollerCoaster Tycoon gone retarded.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
Ugh, been waiting on RCT4 forever now. It's been like 8 years since RCT3. I decided to stop by the atari site to find this: http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/

RCT 3d coming for handheld devices! yay. /sarcasm

Atari knows it's going to fail. They don't even have a webpage up for it. They don't promote it and their forum is locked down, you can't create a new account. It's hard to hype a game when you can't even talk about it on your own forum... dumbasses.

Yeah, so a game that came originally for the PC with tons of fans and many expansions and sequels, decided to say fuck you to its fans and make a kiddo game for handheld. Go have a look at the site. It's nothing but fail. It's been 8 years for crying out loud.

From what I gather, they keep pushing back the release date and know it's doomed. They removed most of the content and features. It's just a regression of the originals.

What is it with developers lately doing the opposite of what their fans want? We want this, -sorry you get this instead because this is what we want to give you. Seriously Atari, I want to give you money! Make RCT4. You can even DLC-milk this thing with additional coaster types and I wouldn't care.

I guess I'm done ranting for now. Thanks for reading.

edit: got it to create an account using a different browser. I think my firefox install is borked. But it now automatically logs me out instantly after logging in. I came across a brief discussion about this occurring to others. Looking through the support section of the forums you see a long list of questions and problems all with '0' replies. They aren't even trying to keep a community together over there. It's like a ghost town.

Last edited:

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Well thanks to GOG.com you'll always be able to enjoy the first 3. ;)

The best Theme park simulators around. :p Well don't get me wrong Themepark and Sim coaster are fun but not as open in choices you can make like in the RCT series.

How awesome would these games be if they got the OpenTTD treatment? Like RCT2 Multiplayer would be a blast! :D (FYI you can play RCT1 fullscreen up to 1280x1024: http://www.gog.com/en/forum/rollerc...full_screen_at_any_resolution_up_to_1280x1024 Also run RCT2 in windowed mode: http://www.gog.com/en/forum/rollercoaster_tycoon_series/hack_run_rct2_in_windowed_mode )

You can already play Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 in 3D with TriDef. (1920X1080 fix here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1164496 )

I am hoping this 3DS version is decent as is as open as the PC versions. Well see....

Most people prefer 1 & 2 which were done by Chris Sawyer. He did consult on the 3rd game but he sued Atari for not getting paid enough. So they may not ask for him to come back for any of the other games and he's kinda done with the RCT series. He said RCT2 was the best version of what he wanted to do with the series.

All we can hope for is RCT2 getting an unofficial patch like Transport Tycoon but who knows if that would ever happen.... Which could expand the game and add features like Multiplayer. Check out OpenTTD if you haven't yet.

I love all 3 of them. Yes RCT3 is different. To me RCT3 is a mix of RCT and Theme park and there is nothing wrong with that. You can do whatever you want in your park just like the first two. Even customize the food and more.

Speaking of RCT3 they are still charging $20-$30 for digital versions. You can usually get RCT3: Platinum cheap on disc though.

Last edited:

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
What is it with developers lately doing the opposite of what their fans want?
This.... I am disappoint(ed).

I think it started with Fallout3.... got a shooter instead, because apparntly they wont give us what we want (which was a clasic turn based rpg) (fallout3 was a decent game still however). It has just gone down hill from there (diablo III, is the latest exsample).

I dislike so many games being made, that arnt true to their origins, when that infact is what most people want.

The *silver* of light in all this, is the new X-COM game.
Too few developers (esp if they just buy the rights to a game) are true to it.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Chalk up another casualty to the dumbing down/casualization of the industry trend that we've seen going on for years.

-Take a popular, quality game in a particular genre

-Get greedy, decide to "expand the audience" to try and attract people who have little to no interest in that genre anyway

-Dumb down the gameplay to appeal to said audience that doesn't care for/have an interest in it's style

-Try and be all things to all people, specifically accessible to the lowest common denominator

-Either fail miserably, receive a tepid/lukewarm reception, or alienate the original fanbase, that likely would have given you greater profits if you had just made a solid game in the first place.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I haven't used a 3D system but RCT actually seems like a good candidate for it imo, I think people would really get into seeing their park and coasters pop out of the screen and actually be 'tall' and 'steep' and twist and turn.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Well, there was this game called Restaurant Empire which is considered to be one of the "Tycoon" greats of all time. So naturally, everyone wanted a sequel. So what the developers did was they used the same outdated engine, similar dialogue and very very very outdated graphics. I cannot tell you how utterly disappointed i was. It felt like the game was 20 years old. Anyways my point is that certain developers do not have the resources to pull certain things off, especially the way their cult fans want them to. It is probably better to not release a game that looks and seems old and isn't good enough and is sub-par.

I was blown away by rollercoaster tycoon 2 and even more by RC3 and its multiple expansion packs. Very disappointed knowing that the series may not move ahead.

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Yeah like why release games like it that offer less too. Like the Thrillville games which were done by the same company that did RCT3 but you can't do as much.

Luckily RCT 1-3 are still around and still quite good. Damn it looks like I am gonna install them and make some parks now. :D

Onlive also has RCT3. It would be cool if they offered a mobile touch control version. Then you could work on your park anywhere. Also add in RCT 1 & 2.

In fact why hasn't the RCT games came to mobile? Someone dreaded saying a Facebook version but if it was as smooth as the others then why not?

At least continue and keep the series moving. Even if it involves re-packaging the games that were already released at least try them on other platforms.

Get more than the cult following into this series again.

However as it stands we have these on PC and an upcoming handheld Title that seems to be in limbo. I forgot about RCT on 3DS. I thought it was suppose to come out in March. Yeah it's very weird that no preview videos have been released....

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
In fact why hasn't the RCT games came to mobile? Someone dreaded saying a Facebook version but if it was as smooth as the others then why not?

No Facebook version because it'll force you to add more firends around your park just so that you can increase your lot size. Also, it would not be able to incorporate the various themed parks. And yeah, this thread already has my mind playing the RCT3 theme. Am definitely installing vanilla + Soaked. :)

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Right, right.

Use the tweak above to play RCT3 in higher resolutions than available.

Maybe some hardcore RCT gamers / programmers will make an unofficial patch for these games to add all kinds of new stuff. :p

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Yep. Most definitely will. Thank you my man :)

Yeah i wish the RCT3 community was alive as well. There could've been so many more addons and mods. Also, i had envisioned a RCT with uncartoony peeps and surroundings. #sigh#

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
A lot of the fans of the first two games couldn't accept the changes RCT3 brought. Again I would say it's like if RCT and Theme Park had a kid and since Theme Park is a good game too. There is nothing wrong with RCT3.

I do think RCT2 is a bit easier to get into too. However once you get over the learning curve of RCT3 it's pretty easy too.

Eh I like them both. ;)

Well I like RCT1 for the missions. However RCT2 for the sandbox mode and enhancements. Yeah RCT3 for the 3D visuals and tons more options to tweak things down to the small details. Own the complete packs of all 3 games.

I can see you either just own RCT3 and Soaked or didn't like the Wild expansion?

Funny I was going to get into some other games I own however I think I am gonna make some time for some RCT. :D Now to decide which one....

There is user content for all 3 games. Just have to look around online. There is some cool YouTube vids of people making amazing looking parks with these games.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Well, to tell you honestly, i myself was put off the first time i installed RCT3. It seemed a little intimidating to me. Getting the proper camera angles was a pain in the arse. Even now a fresh install warrants a lot of camera tweakings in the settings.
I loved soaked. And by loved, i absolutely went bonkers with it. I could not believe how much freedom i had to contort rides freely without anything holding me back.

My problem with Wild was that it felt a lot like Zoo Tycoon 2. And it lost that charm of the Rollercoaster centric theme. Well, IMO atleast.
I was in love with RCT2, but in time I fell for RCT3 :)

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Some type of RollerCoaster Tycoon game is coming to mobile. It will either be RollerCoaster Tycoon 1 modified with touch controls or a new game? Suppose to be out early 2013.

Let's just hope it's not a port of the 3DS Title.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Yep. Most definitely will. Thank you my man :)

Yeah i wish the RCT3 community was alive as well. There could've been so many more addons and mods. Also, i had envisioned a RCT with uncartoony peeps and surroundings. #sigh#

There's some mods and objects floating around.

Didn't Frontier do RCT3? I think they are the ones behind the Kickstarter 'Elite' game.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I still play RCT 1 and 2. Those games are classics that will never be replaced. I don't give a crap out graphics or modern shiny garbage. Give me hours and hours of roller coaster building. I still can design a great ride after all these years. I purchased both when they released as well as their expansions, plus I bought them all again on GoG.

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
I agree. I also dig Theme Park 4/Zoo Tycoon 3. I mean RCT3. :D

I'm hoping RCT on Mobile is close to the PC versions. The details so far: http://www.us.atari.com/news/atari-announces-upcoming-mobile-games-lineup

RollerCoaster Tycoon (iOS and Android, Q1 2013)
Based on the original best-selling management simulation classic which has sold more than 13 million units, RollerCoaster Tycoon is headed to iOS for the first time. As an up-and-coming tycoon, players create their own custom theme park, designing coasters and building attractions to gain new visitors and increase revenue. Players can choose from pre-designed rollercoaster templates, or design their own wild creations from scratch with the Roller Coaster Editor. With modern features like sharing coaster designs with friends, the newest version of RollerCoaster Tycoon offers an experience both long-time fans and newcomers will enjoy.

Well see.... RCT on the 3DS was watered down.

Last edited:

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Looks pretty cool:

RollerCoaster-3D.jpg

http://www.gamezinfo.com/news/rollercoaster-tycoon-3d-announced

Pretty sad, they say it's one of the best selling PC franchises of all time with 11 million units sold.

AFurryReptile

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2006
Of all the games that could be released on mobile devices, RCT seems like a good candidate.

I'm going to hold judgement until I see what they have to offer us.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Looks pretty cool:

RollerCoaster-3D.jpg

http://www.gamezinfo.com/news/rollercoaster-tycoon-3d-announced

Pretty sad, they say it's one of the best selling PC franchises of all time with 11 million units sold.

To be fair, it is probably in the top 5. What other franchises on PC have sold that many? Wow, CoD, the Sims. Being a PC only game that hasn't released anything in almost a decade and still having sold 11 million units from 3 titles and 4 (IIRC?) expansion packs. That is very impressive. I guess if they are counting the whole tycoon thing as a franchise, but still.

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
I was just thinking how disappointing Atari made RCT3DS and treated the series in general. Review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2nhnl9ERIE

RCT3 came out 9 years ago. 7 with the expansions and this RCT3DS didn't add any improvements and just watered it all down.

Now Atari is selling the RCT license so maybe another company can resurrect it. Hopefully FreeRCT doesn't end up vaporware.

Atari that years after RCT3 was out still charged $30 then $20 for RCT3 Platinum. On sale for $10 or $7ish. The game still holds up well in what all you can do with it. One of the better 3D graphic Themepark games compared to Theme Park World (Sim Theme Park), Theme Park INC(SimCoaster) & the Thrillville games. So I can see it holding it's value all these years.

However most would argue that RCT2 was more pure to the RollerCoaster Tycoon name as RCT3 is really Theme Park Zoo Tycoon. A blend of RollerCoaster Tycoon, Theme Park and Zoo Tycoon of course which doesn't make the 3rd game bad.

The mobile version of RCT was canceled since Atari will no longer own the rights. Most likely a good thing as this could have been nothing more than a port of the poor 3DS version.

Now that I think about it Atari started watering down it's Theme park games when the supposed spiritual follow up to RCT3 the two Thrillville games (same creator Frontier Developments) came out.

Last edited:

JoetheLion

Nov 8, 2012
You know the gaming industry is doing today - "expanding audience" by taking out anything that made the game/series specific or clever, to make it generic and by that saying to the fans who actually helped to establish the franchise: "FU!".