Roku with Surround sound?

RickSievers

Feb 28, 2019
Can the Roku stick have surround sound? My equipment might be too old. I have no HDMI connections on my Audio Receiver. I have the Roku connected to my TV and the TV is connected to my Audio Receiver via Opticle cable.

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
should work, as long as the roku send the correct signal to the tv

RickSievers

Feb 28, 2019
I have a Firestick also and I can't get either to work in surround sound. I'm just not getting it??? It should work...

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
The 4k roku stick will do dolby digital, but you need HDMI. I'm not sure about the older stick, but you can go to the roku website.

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
i am assuing the roku and firestick are plugged into the tv

does the tv do dolby? is it set to send dolby out via the optical?

RickSievers

Feb 28, 2019
Got it... It was a defective stick. Replaced it last night and we're good!!! Thanks for the help. This drove me crazy for days.

positivedoppler

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2012
If you have an older receiver, sorry you're out of luck like me. Newer streaming formats are all Dolby Digital Plus, a format that older receivers or preamps dont understand

RickSievers

Feb 28, 2019
It works... My audio receiver has a screen that shows when all the speakers are working during a program. All the speakers are lit up while watching with Directv and DVD's fine. With the streaming sticks, it only shows 2 for some reason. BUT! they are all working. I tested it with a youtube video that shows the sound thru all the speakers. Thanks for the help

positivedoppler

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2012
It works... My audio receiver has a screen that shows when all the speakers are working during a program. All the speakers are lit up while watching with Directv and DVD's fine. With the streaming sticks, it only shows 2 for some reason. BUT! they are all working. I tested it with a youtube video that shows the sound thru all the speakers. Thanks for the help

Like I said, stream sticks service like youtube and netflix uses a new format call Dolby Digital Plus, which is compressed DD. Our old receiver won't understand it so we're getting 2 channel stereo.

RickSievers

Feb 28, 2019
Like I said, stream sticks service like youtube and netflix uses a new format call Dolby Digital Plus, which is compressed DD. Our old receiver won't understand it so we're getting 2 channel stereo.
My receiver has Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Digital, Dolby PII, DTS-ES, DTS and NEO:6