Roku 3 and "HDCP unauthorised Content disabled"

JatMat

Jan 25, 2015
I have an OLD plasma (Dell WD4200) that only has one HDMI input. Roku displays all menus and selections fine, however, when I start to play a movie from any source. I get the purple screen with the message in my thread title, EVERY time. Is there anyway to get around this problem. Roku support has no answers, I was online with them over an hour and half last night, we reset the Roku, we unplugged and replugged every component to refresh connection. But all I see when I start a movie is "HDCP unauthorised Content disabled" I can hear the audio, but no video.

Can I buy a converter from HDMI to component and get around the HDCP settings? I need help, I am 70 and not that technically sharp.

Thanks for any and all help.
Jim Todd

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Looks like the TV is rejecting it... I believe firmware upgrade fixed these issue but I don't think you can do that to those old TVs, its odd. A switch maybe worth a try...

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Can I buy a converter from HDMI to component and get around the HDCP settings?

Yes, they are called HD Furys. That is the only way to strip HDCP out of an HDMI in the fashion you want. Switches and all that won't work.

Honestly though Jim considering how much they cost and how difficult they can be to get in the states (they violate US law) the answer to your problem is the thing you were probably avoiding: just buy a newer TV.

Your only other option is to trade in that nice new Roku for one of their older (and worse performing FYI) units:

http://www.amazon.com/Roku-N1101-HD-.../dp/B002SFDJMQ

JatMat

Jan 25, 2015
Yes, they are called HD Furys. That is the only way to strip HDCP out of an HDMI in the fashion you want. Switches and all that won't work.

Honestly though Jim considering how much they cost and how difficult they can be to get in the states (they violate US law) the answer to your problem is the thing you were probably avoiding: just buy a newer TV.

I do understand that it may come to getting a new screen, however, I have another WD4200 with no hours on it. My remote is a Harmony 688 and I spent hours upon hours getting 6 devices and activities to work right. I can't imagine having to go thru that setting up again. Can you find a link for what I need?
I would appreciate it. I have a friend in London that might be able to find what I need or just order it. Thanks for your help.

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
You should be able to just purchase it in the US and have it shipped to your residence. It looks like they're now available in the US and for your needs you should be fine with the HDF1 Nano GX here at $89. It's a heckuva lot cheaper than getting a new display. Note that you will need a HDMI to DVI cable as well but those can be purchased cheaply from monoprice.

Last edited:

JatMat

Jan 25, 2015
You should be able to just purchase it in the US and have it shipped to your residence. It looks like they're now available in the US and for your needs you should be fine with the HDF1 Nano GX here at $89. It's a heckuva lot cheaper than getting a new display. Note that you will need a HDMI to DVI cable as well but those can be purchased cheaply from monoprice.

What kind of input will I need on my monitor to use this^^^^?
I really need it to use an HDMI input as most of my other inputs are being used already.

Last edited:

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
It outputs in VGA (you don't actually need a HDMI to DVI adapter for this part, my bad on including it) but if you don't have VGA free then what you'll need would be the HD Fury Gamer 2 found here. It'll give component video output along with audio output.

JatMat

Jan 25, 2015
I need to find all my inputs that might be free, any such animal as taking the VGA and converting back to HDMI, then would the HDCP be striped out? Sorry to be so dumb in these areas, but have never fooled with audio video much and I am 70. An old guy barely able to get up and down much less bent double to check back side of Plasma. :)

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Would this work?

Nope, it's a clone and it won't work as well (or potentially at all) in stripping out the HDCP flags. See this Amazon review for an example:

Verified Purchase I thought I was buying an HDFury2. This is a clone and not the real deal. It did not work with my rear projection HDTV (Mitsubishsi WS-55511). This TV has a max output of 1080i. Website says this device supports 1080i but it didn't work for me. This may also be due to this devices lack of HDCP support. I'm not sure which issue it was, but the bottom line is that it didn't work. I'm returning this item and buying a "real" HDfury3.

JatMat

Jan 25, 2015
Just wanted to say thanks nsafreak, you have been a big help. I did have one more question. Can the output of that gamer one you linked last be converted back to HDMI, that, I think, is the only input I have available without having to buy switching equipment.
Thanks Again,
Jim

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Just wanted to say thanks nsafreak, you have been a big help. I did have one more question. Can the output of that gamer one you linked last be converted back to HDMI, that, I think, is the only input I have available without having to buy switching equipment.
Thanks Again,
Jim

It's going to be a big long chain of stuff to get this working but yes there are component to HDMI converters. One can be found at monoprice here.

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
One last note, I was doing some searching on your model set and saw that this was an issue that was typically fixed with a firmware update. You may want to call Dell and see if they have an option to perform an upgrade of the firmware.

JatMat

Jan 25, 2015
It's going to be a big long chain of stuff to get this working but yes there are component to HDMI converters. One can be found at monoprice here.

GREAT! Still cheaper in long run to do this, than to trash two Dell WD4200's. Thanks,
Jim
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

JatMat

Jan 25, 2015
One last note, I was doing some searching on your model set and saw that this was an issue that was typically fixed with a firmware update. You may want to call Dell and see if they have an option to perform an upgrade of the firmware.

I will try to see, but the plasma is so old, I am not sure. I will hit some dell forums and find out. Thanks for all the help.
Would you look at this item and see if you think it will work as to striping out the HDCP. Reviewers say it does. Cheap too.

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
I will try to see, but the plasma is so old, I am not sure. I will hit some dell forums and find out. Thanks for all the help.
Would you look at this item and see if you think it will work as to striping out the HDCP. Reviewers say it does. Cheap too.

Hmmm, based on the reviews it will do the job. From the specs I think they're using a similar chip to what the HDFury uses, partially hinted at by the programmable EDID for audio. One review is a bit worrying in that the metal enclosure gets quite hot and there is no ventilation to it. That review is over 2 years old though so it's possible they've improved the design. Feel free to give it a shot and see if it works out for you, just make sure you keep it were it has good ventilation.

JatMat

Jan 25, 2015
Appears as if I am not alone in this, most of the posts on this problem have been since Jan 2015. Wondering why the Rep from Roku acted like it was all my problem, when there are so many reporting same problem.

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Hadn't even occurred to me that it could be a problem with the Roku itself. Do you happen to have any sources that enforce HDCP on an HDMI output? A Blu Ray player would be a good way to test this out. If it works just fine then you'll be spending extra money to get something to work when you shouldn't have to.

TheEndless

Jan 25, 2015
JatMat, I sent you a PM over on the Roku forums. "Most of the posts" that you mentioned that have been since Jan 2015 were from three users, so not widespread, and I'm inclined to believe are a coincidence. The only reference I've found to your television having HDCP support only mentions it on the DVI connection. It would seem odd that it doesn't also have it on the HDMI port, but the TV is 10+ years old, so not entirely unlikely.

Either way, I PM'd you a link to this HDMI splitter on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I, and a number of the reviewers on Amazon, can confirm that it will strip out the HDCP, and is much cheaper than going the HD Fury route... (Note the model number is different from the one you linked to earlier, as it doesn't include the audio splitting, which you shouldn't need: VHD-1X2MN3D)

Last edited: