Rogers@Home capping uploads/downloads to 5gb per month!! what to do!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nefrodite

Banned
Feb 15, 2001
5 gb is a tad on the cheap side, especially if u pay 50 bux a month or whatever. optimally i could download about 14gb a month over dialup:) i might get half that, but still, thats morer then 5gb:p

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Is there other options for high speed? I know people out in the middle of butt nowhere can get satellite internet for a reasonable price. The speed is fast but the only problem is the latency which rules out any online gaming..
And isn't there another company that has that digital wireless internet? They install some kind of receiver on the side of your house i think. I can't remember the companies name..

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000

<< Russ, there are several good streaming legal stations that can suck up bandwidth like no tomorrow. >>

Sure, there are lots of legal ways to suck up that much bandwidth. But the people here aren't using up 5GB a month doing those legal things.

I agree with Russ. Start buying your CDs and DVDs instead of stealing them.

NicColt

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2000
their documentations right now says that they are giving 3Gig for 3Day blocks. I could live with that. In other words you can't download more than 3 gigs within a 3 day timeframe. Even 500Megs a Day would make even more sense. It would limit the hard core downloaders and give you upto 15 Gigs/Month.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
LOL !! This is pretty funny My old crappy service capped us at 2.5 gig a month all along. Then they started harassing me about my monthly bandwidth usage even though i never went over the 2.5 gig cap. my service was a 1 MBit up and down service but those idiots capped my uploads under 100kbits saying I was degrading the performance of the entire network for everyone else WTF! Yet they could provide no evidence whatsoever such as logs ar data transfer logs that indicated i was exceeding the cap. Guess what their evidence turned out to be. Since i was complaining about the cap on my upload speeds which by the way was in direct violation of my service agreement then i must be guilty of robbing bandwith because if i weren't i wouldn't have noticed the cap. What friggin morons. After 4 weeks of being ignored, insulted, or threatened by some idiot network manager who apparently doesn't even know the correct naming conventions for data transfer measurements i finally cancelled them and demanded a refund for my prepaid march service. Had Charter pipeline installed the same day. New service is faster although uploads are capped which they tell you up front so that is no problem but as far as i can tell they have no monthly cap. Neighbor told me that following weekend that my old service was running even slower than usual. Amazing since the alleged bandwidth pirate was no longer on the service should have been screaming along:disgust:. Anyway just remember you could have it a lot worse like i did. 5gig is plenty for web browsing game playing and downloading essential files or even downloading music if done in moderation. By the way My old isp was www.power-net.net. They provide dialup and cable internet services for some rural telephone coops and cable companies in mid Michigan. If anyone is considering them i would stay away unless they are your only option. Fortunately I have 2 cable companies available where i am so i have some choices.

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
maybe the canadian govt will actually step in and say that they cant do this since they basically have a monopoly over us anyways, i mean, there are all these cable companies but they are owned by the same people and certain areas are serviced by different companies. i know that they have laws about cable companies and what they can charge for certain services.

there are laws about this sort of practice here, im sure of it.

*kat. <-- angry the promise "affordable broadband accessable to all canadians" was taken back to spend on the military.
<-- downloaded 5 gigs yesterday alone.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com

<< I already vote with my checkbook. I pay $80/month for Speakeasy DSL. I get 768kbps sDSL with a static IP (with no PPPoE BS), and my Terms of Service explicitly state that I am allowed to run a server. Their policy is that bandwidth that I purchase is mine, and that I am entitled to do whatever I want with it. My opinion is that download caps are evil, and these companies can much better serve their customers by simply using fixed rate-limiting on their edge routers.

What is the point of "broadband" if you can't use it? "Oooh, gee, look how fast the pretty web page pops up on the screen!"
>>

Speakeasy is the provider I finally decided to switch over too, I've heard excellent things about their CS ! Am now
awaiting installation,just the static IP and ability to put up a server makes the switch from cable well worth it.

Soulflare

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
Too bad that there are absolutely no alternatives (at least around here) to Bell and Rogers.
Every other DSL provider in my region is simply reselling for Bell Canada and will most likely
have no choice whether or not to enforce the cap.

LH

Golden Member
Feb 16, 2002
Heh people still refuse to wake up. The vast majority of cable modem providers are LOSING money because of the $40 unlimited usage. They gotta do something. Its more expensive. Personally I had broadband, was paying $150/month, for 1.5down, 512up, and my agreement allowed me to host a server if I wanted to. Where I live I cant get DSL, or ATTBroadband, so its $69 for 128k up/down $89 for 384 down/128up, $100 for 768 down 256 up, and well $150 for 1.5down 512up. Those ARE realistic prices because BANDWIDTH is expensive. Of course I dont have it anymore, but Im geting it again, because uh dialup sucks ass.

nortexoid

Diamond Member
May 1, 2000
these mofos just upped the price another $5/month starting april as well

luckily for me, i can get DSL...and WILL.

gotta make some calls, soon.

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
This is what kills me... (taken directly from their website):
"It's easy - unlimited Internet access at one low monthly rate."

If they decide to start charging me extra for excessive usage and/or throttle back my bandwidth, i'll take them to court for false advertisement.

And THAT'S the bottom line. :|