Question ROG STRIX Z390E BIOS Update

MrGrim999

Jan 12, 2015
Hey guys! I know you're not supposed to update BIOS unless something isn't working correctly, but, my last visit to ASUS support recently I counted over 10 BIOS updates since the last time I updated back in 2019. Being this many updates, I figured chances are something would run better , so I updated to the latest version (2004) using a USB flash drive within BIOS. The update seemed to go fine but after restarting several times it gave me a message instructing to enter BIOS and resolve any issues. I don't remember if I had to do this back in 2019, but I found out I had to enable CSM in order for my M.2 SSD boot drive would be recognized and start up normal again. This is how I learned about MBR vs GPT formats. I have a combination of 2 M.2 drives and 2 regular SATA's all of which were formatted MBR. I'm guessing when I originally installed everything , GPT was new at the time and MBR was more compatible so that's what i chose for everything.

My question is, should I change to GPT now? I read online that its pretty simple to do and that it also speeds up boot time. I'm pretty sure this is what caused the hiccup.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I also agree.

In fact, when I built my flagship system 5 years ago, I began with an SATA SSD and then realized the advantages of NVME drives. So I had to make the conversion before making a clone. [I THINK that's what I did!]

I found a software utility called Ease-US which did it. I'm guessing that Mini-Tool may also do it. Not so sure about Macrium.

So, if it's easy, how can it be done without buying a software utility? Inquisitive people want to know! :)

MrGrim999

Jan 12, 2015
I also agree.

In fact, when I built my flagship system 5 years ago, I began with an SATA SSD and then realized the advantages of NVME drives. So I had to make the conversion before making a clone. [I THINK that's what I did!]

I found a software utility called Ease-US which did it. I'm guessing that Mini-Tool may also do it. Not so sure about Macrium.

So, if it's easy, how can it be done without buying a software utility? Inquisitive people want to know! :)

Just read online if you're running Win 10 version 1703 or later, it comes with a tool MBR2GPT.EXE located in Windows/System32 directory and apparently you don't have to back everything up first. Here's the link https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt

Anyone ever try this?