News Roe v. Wade overturned

Page 118 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Right, but all of that is easily explained by actual market forces, not the oil companies suddenly getting greedy. They were always greedy!
They have always been greedy, but that greed has increased. The oil companies have been producing less than pre-pandemic levels up till mid summer, which means they where selling less product, but at the same time making higher profits.. Example (simple made up numbers): if they where selling 1000 barrels before the pandemic, and made a 10% profit... and then they where selling 800 barrels or less, during the pandemic and up till this mid summer, but where making 40% profit, there is only one way they can increase their profits to 40% on less product output/sold, and it sure as hell isn't the actual market forces, and those profit markups are still at play today.

However, keep in mind that Ms. Porter was talking about all large corporations in her graph, not just oil companies..

Last edited:

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
The onion hitting it hard.

WtGlvgo.jpeg

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Reactions: hal2kilo

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Was just reading the Bob Woodward book "Fear." He describes a meeting between Trump and Steven Bannon in 2013, where Bannon was giving advice to Trump in how to run for POTUS as a republican. Trump had always been pro-choice, and asked Bannon if he could remain pro-choice, to which Bannon replied that there is no way to win a GOP primary while being pro-choice. And Trump just says, oh, OK, I'm going to be pro-life now.

So all this happened because one unprincipled asshole decided to adopt a position he didn't even believe in out of pure political expediency. That's how abortion rights ended in the US.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I was hopeful that our present generation of 20 to 40 y.o.s would break out of that mold and be more objective. But now, in addition to celebs they're listening to "influencers" who also have zero qualifications and are of questionable intelligence,.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Was just reading the Bob Woodward book "Fear." He describes a meeting between Trump and Steven Bannon in 2013, where Bannon was giving advice to Trump in how to run for POTUS as a republican. Trump had always been pro-choice, and asked Bannon if he could remain pro-choice, to which Bannon replied that there is no way to win a GOP primary while being pro-choice. And Trump just says, oh, OK, I'm going to be pro-life now.

So all this happened because one unprincipled asshole decided to adopt a position he didn't even believe in out of pure political expediency. That's how abortion rights ended in the US.
He doesn’t believe in any positions outside of lining his pockets or feeding his ego.

I think the bargain he struck is entirely obvious. Republicans turn a blind eye to his corruption and he gives them any policy wins they want.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
He doesn’t believe in any positions outside of lining his pockets or feeding his ego.

I think the bargain he struck is entirely obvious. Republicans turn a blind eye to his corruption and he gives them any policy wins they want.
It's practically a requirement now, both the corruption and the blind eye to it.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I was hopeful that our present generation of 20 to 40 y.o.s would break out of that mold and be more objective. But now, in addition to celebs they're listening to "influencers" who also have zero qualifications and are of questionable intelligence,.
There are 8 billion humans presently. There were 3 1/2 billion when Paul Ehrlich wrote The Population Bomb in 1968, and his contention was that earth was already at the limit of what it could sustain. So, we are way beyond sustainability in terms of the number of humans the planet can support. The catastrophe is ensuing and we are well into of the Sixth Extinction. How on earth can the anti-abortion people justify their position? Talk about being in denial!!! Instead of trying to avoid the next major asteroid impact they should be hunting for one. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
There are 8 billion humans presently. There were 3 1/2 billion when Paul Ehrlich wrote The Population Bomb in 1968, and his contention was that earth was already at the limit of what it could sustain. So, we are way beyond sustainability in terms of the number of humans the planet can support. The catastrophe is ensuing and we are well into of the Sixth Extinction. How on earth can the anti-abortion people justify their position? Talk about being in denial!!! Instead of trying to avoid the next major asteroid impact they should be hunting for one. :rolleyes:

You realize that almost everything predicted in The Population Bomb was wrong, right? The entire book is based on the idea that our population will keep doubling every generation, but we have hit the limits of agriculture science. It literally postulates that we could not possibly grow more food than we did in the late 1950's despite the fact that between the 'research' the book is based on, and the publication of the book, agricultural yield improved several fold and human population growth curtailed significantly.

Reactions: Captante

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
Ehrlich is an idiot and a fraud who has made a career of being wrong.

No wonder you referenced him as some kind of authority.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
And Trump just says, oh, OK, I'm going to be pro-life now.

And Trump never intended to LOCK HER UP because, they are friends.
And Trump doesn't really care about illegal immigration because, Trump depends on those undocumented workers to build his towers and mow his lawns.
And that WALL? Just part of the con, the scam, the illusion.
Why?
Because, republicans are stupid. Republican voters are stupid. Republican voters are gullible. It's all a game to Trump and after all, Donald Trump was once a TV game show host. He learned well the game of the con.

bc.jpg

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You realize that almost everything predicted in The Population Bomb was wrong, right? The entire book is based on the idea that our population will keep doubling every generation, but we have hit the limits of agriculture science. It literally postulates that we could not possibly grow more food than we did in the late 1950's despite the fact that between the 'research' the book is based on, and the publication of the book, agricultural yield improved several fold and human population growth curtailed significantly.
Yeah, I knew that he didn't anticipate the improvements in agriculture. However, it's obvious that population can't double every generation indefinitely. I didn't read the book but the notion of overpopulation being problematical resonated and resonates with me.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Ehrlich is an idiot and a fraud who has made a career of being wrong.

No wonder you referenced him as some kind of authority.
Is that some kind of ad hominem backhanded insult? You appear to be a scoundrel.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
And Trump never intended to LOCK HER UP because, they are friends.
And Trump doesn't really care about illegal immigration because, Trump depends on those undocumented workers to build his towers and mow his lawns.
And that WALL? Just part of the con, the scam, the illusion.
Why?
Because, republicans are stupid. Republican voters are stupid. Republican voters are gullible. It's all a game to Trump and after all, Donald Trump was once a TV game show host. He learned well the game of the con.

View attachment 73843

he’s been conning his whole life. The wall was just a monument to him, narcissistic to the end

Reactions: Pohemi

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Yeah, I knew that he didn't anticipate the improvements in agriculture. However, it's obvious that population can't double every generation indefinitely. I didn't read the book but the notion of overpopulation being problematical resonated and resonates with me.

But it's not doubling every generation.
In most of the world, including some of the poorer parts, the rate of population growth has slowed considerably.

Population-growth-rate-HighRes-2015.png

By my (very rough) calculation the highest growth rate countries will triple in population in a generation, the ones in the next bracket will double, all the others will grow by considerably less than that.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

You are right, we can't keep increasing our population forever, but as was so helpfully pointed out by pmv we are not, and haven't been since around the time of that book being published. Even so, we can keep increasing our population for a long time, at least as far as food production is concerned. We do not have a food production problem, we have a food distribution problem. We produce more then enough food for everyone on the entire planet several times over, and could ramp up that production considerably.
No, our problem is in how we determine who should get food, because capitalisms does not work when dealing with the necessities of life. We pay people NOT to produce food! Think about how fucked up that is. People are literally starving to death because we pay people to not make food so we can keep prices high so capitalism will work with a product that is too abundant to have enough value. So we create artificial scarcity on a product people need to survive.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You are right, we can't keep increasing our population forever, but as was so helpfully pointed out by pmv we are not, and haven't been since around the time of that book being published. Even so, we can keep increasing our population for a long time, at least as far as food production is concerned. We do not have a food production problem, we have a food distribution problem. We produce more then enough food for everyone on the entire planet several times over, and could ramp up that production considerably.
No, our problem is in how we determine who should get food, because capitalisms does not work when dealing with the necessities of life. We pay people NOT to produce food! Think about how fucked up that is. People are literally starving to death because we pay people to not make food so we can keep prices high so capitalism will work with a product that is too abundant to have enough value. So we create artificial scarcity on a product people need to survive.

This!

Reactions: hal2kilo