News Roe v. Wade overturned

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
You can do a lot better than this.
Conflating a natural phenomena with abortion is absurd. By that logic you could point out that every single person is going to die, so killing them is natural and inevitable. How can that be a crime?
Lets be honest here, abortion is about convenience. We flush those kids down the toilet because having them around would be a lot of trouble and expense. All the arguments about how many die naturally or it just being a clump of cells is what we tell ourselves so we don't feel bad about doing it.
I know what abortion is, I know the reasons why it exists. The only argument for it that holds water is that sometimes it's the lessor of two evils.

You are sort of correct, the majority of abortions are performed out of convenience. Statistics show that prospective mothers worry about money, education interruption, poor timing etc. Obviously the best thing is to avoid the pregnancy in the first place, we should be throwing contraceptives around like candy to our vulnerable population. However statistics also show that the majority of abortions are among poorer women, that can't afford or access contraception, and minorities.

Given the fact that most abortions are among the poorer white women or poorer minority women, you'd think the conservatives would be watering at the mouth knowing that less poor and brown babies are being made in the US to suck off of the welfare system and bring the white man down.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Given the fact that most abortions are among the poorer white women or poorer minority women, you'd think the conservatives would be watering at the mouth knowing that less poor and brown babies are being made in the US to suck off of the welfare system and bring the white man down.
They deal with that problem by doing everything they can to break the welfare system.

Remember once you're born you're on your own. Your failure to pick better parents is your responsibility as an infant. #whiteevangelicalthinking #whothefuckwasthiscommiejesusguy

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
This guy is a POS.

From a link in that article from his daughter , who said don't vote for him.

"The only place where I really see systemic racism would be the abortion clinic cause they seem to target the African American community.”
“I don’t buy into this whole systemic racism thing at all,” he later said.

"“I’m not saying there’s not hurdles to overcome. We all have hurdles to overcome. You know, as a quote-unquote rich, white, Christian male, people look at me a certain way. And it’s not always good. So, everybody has obstacles to overcome

"He also said, unlike his daughter, he doesn’t believe white privilege exists "

Seriously WTF!
He has problems to overcome as a rich, white, Christian male???

I’m curious, how does abortion clinics target African Americans? Do they send out flyers to their house? Do they offer them discounts or promotions like, abort a fetus and get a big screen TV? Do abortion clinics buy ads with companies people traditionally register for baby shower gifts? Are abortion clinics typically located in a black community?

I remember a time when the right was capable of actually making coherent arguments. Nowadays though, my god! It’s like any semblance of intelligence has just disappeared.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
You are sort of correct, the majority of abortions are performed out of convenience. Statistics show that prospective mothers worry about money, education interruption, poor timing etc. Obviously the best thing is to avoid the pregnancy in the first place, we should be throwing contraceptives around like candy to our vulnerable population. However statistics also show that the majority of abortions are among poorer women, that can't afford or access contraception, and minorities.

They deal with that problem by doing everything they can to break the welfare system.

Remember once you're born you're on your own. Your failure to pick better parents is your responsibility as an infant. #whiteevangelicalthinking #whothefuckwasthiscommiejesusguy
Yup, what people forget is the fascists want desperate poor people that have to work shitty jobs for shitty pay and sign up to fight in unnecessary wars.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I’m curious, how does abortion clinics target African Americans? Do they send out flyers to their house? Do they offer them discounts or promotions like, abort a fetus and get a big screen TV? Do abortion clinics buy ads with companies people traditionally register for baby shower gifts? Are abortion clinics typically located in a black community?

I remember a time when the right was capable of actually making coherent arguments. Nowadays though, my god! It’s like any semblance of intelligence has just disappeared.

It sounds like a poorly worded attempt at being racist by implying that only minorities "need" or get abortions.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This guy is a POS. Republican

From a link in that article from his daughter , who said don't vote for him.

"The only place where I really see systemic racism would be the abortion clinic cause they seem to target the African American community.”
“I don’t buy into this whole systemic racism thing at all,” he later said.

"“I’m not saying there’s not hurdles to overcome. We all have hurdles to overcome. You know, as a quote-unquote rich, white, Christian male, people look at me a certain way. And it’s not always good. So, everybody has obstacles to overcome

"He also said, unlike his daughter, he doesn’t believe white privilege exists "

Seriously WTF!
He has problems to overcome as a rich, white, Christian male???
FTFY

Reactions: Pohemi

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

And heart surgery is performed out of convenience, hip replacement is performed out of convenience, executions are performed out of convenience...

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Conflating a natural phenomena with abortion is absurd.
The fundamentalist pro-life position is absurd.
But by their own logic the “child” is “dead” as a direct result of deciding to have unprotected sex just the same as if they decided to take an abortifacient.

These are Russian Roulette odds with 1-5 bullets loaded depending on maternal age at conception.
By that logic you could point out that every single person is going to die, so killing them is natural and inevitable. How can that be a crime?
How old are you again? I would have thought you would have understood that while adults do grow old and die children do not.

Compare these mortality rates:
  • Fetus after 20 weeks <1%
  • Infants 0.56%
  • Children 1-4: 0.024%
  • Children 5-14: 0.015%
  • Children 15-19: 0.051%
Parents have a responsibility to protect their children until adulthood. The above mortality rates suggest they do. However arbitrarily deciding that a fertilized egg is a child means any parents will have 15-85% of their children die.
Lets be honest here, abortion is about convenience.
For some if we define “convenience” as being too young, or poor, or already have other children depending on the mother.

For others it’s health reasons for the mother or humanely ending a wanted a pregnancy when defects occur.

In all cases it’s the woman’s body and her right to decide to what to do with it - at least until we bring back slavery.

But if we are being honest here let’s be honest. As you stated it’s absurd to care about an aborted fetus so anti-abortion laws really aren’t about protecting “children”. It’s really that it makes a certain set of voters feel self-righteous and willing to vote for the party who bans it so that party can get paid for passing tax cuts for billionaires.
We flush those kids down the toilet because having them around would be a lot of trouble and expense.
A woman takes plan B - the fertilized egg fails to implant and goes down the drain. How many kids just died? There’s no brain so is it 0. It might have split into twins, triplets, quadruplets. So is it 1, 2, 3, or 4? The Bible says life starts at birth so 0?

According to prolifers thats a single kid biology (& the Bible I guess) be damned.
All the arguments about how many die naturally or it just being a clump of cells is what we tell ourselves so we don't feel bad about doing it.
I am simply pointing out the pro-life position is a bunch of horseshit. It fails basic biology, ethics, morality, and even Christianity.

Since I’m scientifically and ethically minded individual I don’t have a problem with spontaneous or medical abortions.

Most of the risk to the baby is gone by 20 weeks. After that there’s something like a working brain by 30 weeks. I would consider it basically a child at that point. By 30 weeks early delivery can happen for medical problems or the parents can decide to abort if defects occur that are incompatible with life. Life and death decisions for a child and/or mother should be left up to the parents and doctor, not politicians.

I know what abortion is, I know the reasons why it exists. The only argument for it that holds water is that sometimes it's the lessor of two evils.
it really seems like you don’t know what it is at all.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Conflating what is your business and non of your fucking business is what this is about.
You not a woman? Shut the fuck up. Women are by far the most emphatically talented gender of our race, the idea they need OUR help in defining “whats right” in terms of their bodies, babies pregnancies and whatnot is so massively arrogant ignorant and straight up assholery that you HAVE to be a conservative for that math to check out.
Those men on the SC. God damn. Enemy of the people.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Conflating a natural phenomena with abortion is absurd. By that logic you could point out that every single person is going to die, so killing them is natural and inevitable. How can that be a crime?
Lets be honest here, abortion is about convenience. We flush those kids down the toilet because having them around would be a lot of trouble and expense. All the arguments about how many die naturally or it just being a clump of cells is what we tell ourselves so we don't feel bad about doing it.
Who are you to make that kind of decision for someone else?

Know when the last time we had a bunch of white guys from the well of the Senate attempt to dictate medical treatment to a family? That little episode was Terry Schivo. I suggest you go back and read up on those details.

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Yep, it will compound a problem that already exists in the military.

But ... You cant have a military base in a state that has like 6 weeks, if any weeks at all? Not if you intend to staff it with women? Woops, she pregnant, need to fill this spot with someone else... It means you cant really plan out a roster more than like 6 months?

So. Women out of the military? Or bases out of shithole states? Or what?

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
But ... You cant have a military base in a state that has like 6 weeks, if any weeks at all? Not if you intend to staff it with women? Woops, she pregnant, need to fill this spot with someone else... It means you cant really plan out a roster more than like 6 months?

Yep, you get it.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Hm. I guess we'd see if the federal enclave doctrine would apply then?

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
the only real choice is pro freedom, or anti-freedom. forcing people into a choice when they are stuck between a rock and a hard place is terrible.

pro freedom- let people make the choice that is best for them, their family. no moral gray areas, not fascist.

anti freedom- tell others what to do when it does not affect you. immoral, fascist, requires bureaucracy

the choice is clear, weather you would personally choose an abortion or not does not matter, it matters weather you would force someone else to do something, even when it does not effect your life.

Gardener

Nov 22, 1999

Women have the right to chose what they do with their bodies. Everything else is a distraction.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
the only real choice is pro freedom, or anti-freedom. forcing people into a choice when they are stuck between a rock and a hard place is terrible.

pro freedom- let people make the choice that is best for them, their family. no moral gray areas, not fascist.

anti freedom- tell others what to do when it does not affect you. immoral, fascist, requires bureaucracy

the choice is clear, weather you would personally choose an abortion or not does not matter, it matters weather you would force someone else to do something, even when it does not effect your life.
Wasn't that the main gripe about the Covid vaccine for cons?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Manchin. Who else?

"The final tally was 49 to 51 with moderate Democrat, Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia, joining with Republicans to vote against the measure and stop it from advancing. "

Reactions: hal2kilo

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Manchin. Who else?

"The final tally was 49 to 51 with moderate Democrat, Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia, joining with Republicans to vote against the measure and stop it from advancing. "

I am proud of Democrats for actually making them vote. They should do the exact same thing with guaranteed access to birth control.