News Roe v. Wade overturned

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
So what's next on the agenda for your gang of gerontocrat overlords? Banning gay marriage? Homosexual activity itself? Maybe the legality of inter-racial marriage will be left to the states? How about bringing back slavery?

Gay marriage def next.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
-Regarding the "leak": is it even illegal? Like are there any laws making supreme court majority opinion drafts private/confidential/secret? Were any actual laws violated? Or is it just tradition that everyone is butthurt about? Why is the level of secrecy around Supreme court decisions considered OK at all?

There is definitely a bit of schadenfreude if conservative white women find themselves unable to access that abortion they thought they would never need for themselves. Sometimes I think this group forgets that black men got the right to vote 50 years before they did, just as a reminder for where they are on the old boys club totem pole.

I'll post more as I think and absorb and reflect more on things. I will say though: thank God I was born a man.

Republicans crying the leaker should be jailed. Noone has cited any law where that would apply. They also want the justice that may have leaked this impeached. I don't see any motive for someone on the left leaking this since the decision is scheduled for June. People trying to dilute bad news release it early. Prediction: If we discover is was a right wing judge or their staffer watch them go quiet.

Interesting a body that has no ethics rules/laws prove once again their open corruption needs to be smacked.

Kudos on your note to conservative white women.

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
Yeah, unthinkable. It's not like the first litmus test to becoming and staying a Republican representative is proving you are anti-abortion. And it's not like the GOP can win full control with way less than 50% of the vote.

All the snowflake liberals predicting this would happen if we didn't vote straight Demoract for the last 40 years sound like a bunch of crazies as usual. I know because my grandfather told me liberals were the source of all the problems in the world, and he was old so that means we have to respect his smartness.
Let's keep the thread straight.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I don't think they will go after 4, but yeah the other 3 are certainly at risk. Plus non-hetero sex.

Depends on the state ... I can definitely see some advance legislation being passed in certain southern states that would kick it up to SCOTUS in the same manner. Hell, there was video of an IN senator stating that exact issue should be left to the states.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I don't really get why you are all so scared of them - there's only a dozen of them and they look to be in poor physical shape. They don't seem to have any identifiable superpowers.

If you all just ignore them as you would other crazy old dudes in institutions, what are they going to do? Kavanagh might get drunk and blub a bit, which would be embarrassing for everyone to witness, but I struggle to imagine the dozen members of the Injustice League being able to physically do much to enforce their rulings (though, now I think of it, maybe that _could_ make for a fun MCU movie).

• Haha
Reactions: thilanliyan

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
I don't really get why you are all so scared of them - there's only a dozen of them and they look to be in poor physical shape. They don't seem to have any identifiable superpowers.

If you all just ignore them as you would other crazy old dudes in institutions, what are they going to do? Kavanagh might get drunk and blub a bit, which would be embarrassing for everyone to witness, but I struggle to imagine the dozen members of the Injustice League being able to physically do much to enforce their rulings (though, now I think of it, maybe that _could_ make for a fun MCU movie).

In a perfect world. Kavanagh would get drunk, and force Broodmare Barrett to blow him and it would get caught on security cams.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

This is the central problem of US politics. The system is based on the idea of respect for the rule of law with the assumption that those in office will act with that respect in mind. In the last 30 years or so conservatives have decided they no longer care about that and have embraced increasingly radical departures from that. Democrats value the rule of law though, so responding in kind destroys exactly what they are trying to protect. It's asymmetric warfare.

This is why if Obama had behaved like Trump in office Obama would likely be on trial or in prison right now but because Biden is trying very hard to not run a banana republic like that Trump is still free. It's why democratic state courts strike down democratic gerrymanders while republican ones run wild.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Why not? The same argument used to strike down Roe can be used for all of these
I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm just saying even conservatives (except for the most openly racist ones) would find that one a step too far in my opinion.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm just saying even conservatives (except for the most openly racist ones) would find that one a step too far in my opinion.
Yeah we should be clear this has nothing to do with legal logic - they will calvinball their way to any decision they like and think they can get away with. The limiting factor is politics, not the law.

Reactions: Pohemi and K1052

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Aleto just openly admitted in that leaked draft opinion that life DOES NOT begin at conception.

Alito also pushed back on the notion that if the court were to overturn Roe it could lead the court to overturn other cases like Obergefell v. Hodges, that upheld the right to same-sex marriage. He said that what "sharply distinguishes" Roe from other cases is that "abortion destroys" potential life.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
In other words, they want to keep trying to hide their racism. I feel ya