News Roe v. Wade overturned

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
So sayeth Politico, who seems to have obtained the draft majority opinion. Grain of salt applies for sure, but I don’t think they’d publish without some solid sourcing.

So glad I got my little girls Canadian passports. Zealots aren’t taking their rights without a fight.
--

Final Decision: https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/24/politics/dobbs-mississippi-supreme-court-abortion-roe-wade/index.html

EDIT: Title changed 6/24 to reflect final SCOTUS decision

Last edited:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Good. Every vote matters. No CRT in schools though so that's an even trade.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Good. Every vote matters. No CRT in schools though so that's an even trade.

I think it’s hilarious that overturning Roe was made possible by a sexual predator and likely abortion funder who had no business being President, but somehow installed 3 justices, 1 stolen. But he was just the final nail—this process started with Gingrich and really got underway when SCOTUS picked the President in 2000.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Ooh an Alito opinion, really decided to go whole hog huh. Going to be monumentally shitty.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
And here comes a note from Politico’s editors—doubling down on legitimacy.

This has never, ever, ever happened in the history of the court and I’m 100% that a liberal justice or their clerks leaked it because of the gravity of this decision.

Neal Katyal is also vouching for authenticity—followed Alito’s voice.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Oh well, I guess that means whites will become the minority in America just a wee bit faster. You did this to yourselves, GOP.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
This court is going to settle for nothing less than burning the last hundred years of rights advancement to the ground.

So. Much. This. Wingnuts have finally scored their first major epic cultural victory in 60 years, and now they’ll be emboldened to undo it all. Voting Rights. Reproductive Rights. Gay rights. Civil Rights.

Edit: That reminds me—I’m suddenly a lot more interested in whether the Equal Rights Amendment can now become a constitutional amendment…

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Let’s assume this does get finalized, this is helpful for the Dems in November. On the fence independents won’t want further reversal of policies.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I'm guessing this is going to be 5-4. If that is true, Roberts should flip to the wing-nut side so he can write the majority opinion, as is the right of the Chief Justice. Alito will probably just straight say that women have no rights and ban birth control too.

• Wow
Reactions: Muse

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005
Great! Hopefully the wins keep coming and we can move on to ending the suffrage of over 100 million US women.

More seriously, I’m wondering how much may have changed in the almost 3 months since this draft was allegedly circulated, and what triggered its release now? A last minute “Hail Mary” to exert pressure on someone they think can be swayed?

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I think this was expected and the high court knew or knows that their ruling will be a major ground shaking event when officially released later in June, thus... THUS... it first had to be linked. Let me say that again.... IT HAD TO BE LEAKED. That way, the monumental impact may be lessened if this is first "rumored" with still a hint of doubt. A hint of doubt to reduce the June outrage to come.

I really really wonder how this will effect the midterms?
Will republicans be buried?
Or, has America become as extreme far right as it now appears?
Is it all over for the libs and for the progressive agenda?

AND... IF THE HIGH COURT CAN DO THIS WITH A STRAIGHT FACE, JUST WAIT UNTIL MARRIAGE EQUALITY RETURNS TO THE COURT.
Just wait until the Trump court rules that Rachael Maddow's marriage is null and void, along with millions of other same sex marriages.

See... these far right extremist mother fuckers DID have an agenda after all... And Donald Trump has now delivered.

Reactions: Ken g6 and Number1

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I think this was expected and the high court knew or knows that their ruling will be a major ground shaking event when officially released later in June, thus... THUS... it first had to be linked. Let me say that again.... IT HAD TO BE LEAKED. That way, the monumental impact may be lessened if this is first "rumored" with still a hint of doubt. A hint of doubt to reduce the June outrage to come.

AND... IF THE HIGH COURT CAN DO THIS WITH A STRAIGHT FACE, JUST WAIT UNTIL MARRIAGE EQUALITY RETURNS TO THE COURT.
Just wait until the Trump court rules that Rachael Maddow's marriage is null and void, along with millions of other same sex marriages.
But you know, those Bernie Bros had to not vote for Hillary because she get some questions before a debate.

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010

See... these far right extremist mother fuckers DID have an agenda after all... And Donald Trump has now delivered.

Again like James Carville says, Dems love fighting losing battles. They are utterly useless and have been losing the long game for the past 20+ years. The Ls are just beginning.