News Roe v. Wade overturned

Page 115 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Obviously each side is going to define "heartbeat" as it best fits their agenda. However, I think you are wrong here. By definition, how can you have a "heartbeat" without a heart? A heartbeat is the *result* of the electrical stimulation, not the impulse itself.

I agree with you about the economy though. To a lot of voters, it is simply enough to blame the Dems and want to get rid of them, whether or not the Reps have any solution. The Dems are vulnerable on the economy/inflation, law and order, and the border. A lot of the problems are not all their fault, and many solutions are being blocked by the Reps. But I wish they would just come out and address the problems and offer some kind of solution, instead of just saying in effect, "Yea but the Reps want to ban abortion".

It is much like a football team which is losing. The fans blame the starting QB and want to get rid of him and bring in the backup, even if the backup may not be a better solution.

And how many angels CAN dance on the head of a pin?

;)

(Sadly we'll never know)

My ultimate point was that however you choose to define the word "heartbeat", it's pretty much a "nonsense" way to differentiate a "fetus" from a "baby".

As for the midterms unfortunately barring something truly shocking happening beforehand the Democrats have wasted too much time "fiddling while Rome burned" to change anything now no matter what they do.

Reactions: Pohemi

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
A heartbeat does not mean a soul is present. Also, billions of animal are slaughtered each year and all of them have fully formed hearts with heartbeats. It's quite obvious humans don't care about things with a heartbeat.

This decision is nothing more than forcing Christianity on everyone in the country. First our democracy was taken away and then our religious freedom. Equality is next.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
How about Grandpa Joe talk DIRECTLY and LOUDLY about the real reason we can't get anything done to help working people in this God-forsaken country?

The "O" in GOP in reality stands for "obstructionist" and Democrats SHOULD have been NAMING REPUBLICAN NAMES to pin that on instead of trying to politely play politics designed for a Washington DC that no longer exists.

I'm very fond of Joe Biden and I believe his intentions are good BUT I also believe that he has literally no idea how to get things done anymore and that US politics has largely passed him by.

The days of "gentleman" politicians making compromise-deals for the good of the people are ancient history.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
A heartbeat does not mean a soul is present.

100% agreed..... a heart-beat is in no way required for there to be "life" OR for there to be a "soul" present IMO.

Only the shallow arrogance of humanity would ascribe something like having a soul to having a physical heart.... "life" is determined by being "self-aware" not by the appearance of the sack of meat we ride around inside.

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
A couple year ago it was weed edibles. Like nobody just randomly giving out their expensive weed edibles.

Yeah right? :rolleyes:

While i'm sure the occasional candy-looking edible gets ACCIDENTLY mixed with regular kid-candy I'm equally sure the person responsible for it would be pissed to be out $25-$30!

Also I find it EXTREMELY amusing that people call 911 and rush to the emergency-room because a HS-age kid ate 20-30 mg's of THC edible instead of sitting them down on the sofa with a bowl of ice-cream and putting on some cartoons. Almost certainly your biggest worry will be spilled ice-cream from a laughing fit. (vs a traumatic situation possibly involving the cops)

It's one thing if an infant somehow downs a dozen 10 mg gummies then call poison-control stat but for any healthy person over the age of about 8-10 the risk of anything more than a couple hours of paranoia/elevated heart-rate even from something like that is pretty much nil.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pohemi and K1052

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Hopefully they won't start lacing these pills with Fentanyl.

Seriously.

It's funny how fentanyl suddenly became the boogeyman de jour. Just look at the coverage Faux is giving it, talk radio dutifully doing the same. Better than talking about school shootings and blown apart kids though right? Easier to defend than CRT hysteria too I'll wager. Seriously.

I'm not saying we don't have a problem with fentanyl, I'm just wondering where this sense of alarm was the last idk 12 years or so? I'm sure the kids who having been living with grandparents and foster parents for years would ask.

I wish I had magical GQP math powers. I wish I could understand why 64k Americans dying from fentynal overdoses is an issue, when over 1.3 million Americans dead (and counting) from covid19 shouldn't even be talked about, lest poor maga feels become bruised or inconvenienced.

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
It's funny how fentanyl suddenly became the boogeyman de jour. Just look at the coverage Faux is giving it, talk radio dutifully doing the same. Better than talking about school shootings and blown apart kids though right? Easier to defend than CRT hysteria too I'll wager. Seriously.

I'm not saying we don't have a problem with fentanyl, I'm just wondering where this sense of alarm the last idk 12 years or so? I'm sure the kids who having been living with grandparents and foster parents for years would ask.

I wish I had magical GQP math powers. I wish I could understand why 64k Americans dying from fentynal overdoses is an issue, when over 1.3 million Americans dead (and counting) from covid19 shouldn't even be talked about, lest poor maga feels become bruised or inconvenienced.

News flash. Republicans don’t care about crime. Only the ones they can exploit

Blue lives matter? Not the capital police
Violent insurrection? Just a bunch of tourists
Criminals trying to overthrow the government? Patriots

Theft? Are the perps brown people?
Theft? Even if national security threatened preps are white and this perp is Trump

Last edited:

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

I'm not saying we don't have a problem with fentanyl, I'm just wondering where this sense of alarm the last idk 12 years or so? I'm sure the kids who having been living with grandparents and foster parents for years would ask.

Dude if you're in the same county as some fentanyl you'll probably die from an overdose from like 3 molecules floating through the air.

Also it's impossible to tell anymore if a package of smarties are just smarties or an evil plot to hook elementary age kids on drugs. (it really is the only growth market left for opioids).

• Haha

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
News flash. Republicans don’t care about crime. Only the ones they can exploit

Blue lives matter? Not the capital police
Violent insurrection? Just a bunch of tourists
Criminals trying to overthrow the government? Patriots

Theft? Are the perps brown people?
Theft? Even if national security threatened preps are white and this perp is Trump

"Preaching to the choir" I believe is the term.

It's not a newsflash for the aware Homer. My post was aimed quite intentionally at someone who largely supports the people who don't care about American lives, or the ones who commit treason.

I think it's wrong to dismiss fentanyl smuggling the way we do magat raving about antifa or CRT, we need to welcome repug dipshits who have finally started to treat it like the problem it is. Shoot down their bullshit but don't dismiss the harm the drug has caused. If they want to act like this new fixation of theirs is saving lives, calmly put their dumbasses on the spot and ask them why far more people who died from a preventable disease didn't qualify for their right wing humanity.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Dude if you're in the same county as some fentanyl you'll probably die from an overdose from like 3 molecules floating through the air.

Also it's impossible to tell anymore if a package of smarties are just smarties or an evil plot to hook elementary age kids on drugs. (it really is the only growth market left for opioids).

Idk, seems like LA County detected them successfully.

10/19/22

"LA County Sheriff’s Narcotics Bureau Detectives and Drug Enforcement Agency agents seized approximately 12,000 suspected fentanyl pills at the Los Angeles International Airport Wednesday hidden in candy packaging.

• Wow
Reactions: Dave_5k and Pohemi

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

And any GQP mentions of it will completely disappear after the elections.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Idk, seems like LA County detected them successfully.

10/19/22

"LA County Sheriff’s Narcotics Bureau Detectives and Drug Enforcement Agency agents seized approximately 12,000 suspected fentanyl pills at the Los Angeles International Airport Wednesday hidden in candy packaging.
But that was a smuggling operation. Nobody's trying to juice up kids on fentanyl. Not for free anyhow.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Last poll I saw on this topic showed that a small majority of voters believe that the GOP is better at keeping the economy "pumping" and much as I despise those bastages and am 100% Democrat I'm not sure I disagree.

Do you think we could convince people that the Republican Presidents cause pandemics? The same logic applies. Maybe we could start messaging that?

Reactions: Captante

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
But that was a smuggling operation. Nobody's trying to juice up kids on fentanyl. Not for free anyhow.
It's weird how people somehow think that drug dealers are handing out their product to children for free.

If there's a liquor store down the road from you it's reasonable to worry they might SELL your kids booze. I am not worried they will give it to them for free.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

I'm not one of the people making that direct assertion. The Halloween candy thing is ridiculous, I agree. But when this drug gets in to the population we all lose, even the people who never come into contact with it. The kids who never see or touch the stuff still suffer immensely when their addict parents both kill themselves with it. Though, I know for a fact drug dealers in central Maine were targeting highschool kids with the help of other addicted highschool kids. First couple rounds were reported to be gratis, so yeah that does happen. Fentanyl is too strong to use on it's own, using very small amounts of it to compensate for cutting product with other non narcotic ingredients is usually how people get exposed to it, far as I know.

Fentanyl represents a high profit margin for the pushers, it's nothing new and I don't think it will change. Being disguised as food or other kinds of pharma also both very common. The Faux Noise fans are pretending this is a sudden threat, created partly thanks to *drum roll* Joe Biden and the Democrats. Trying to reheat that nativist wall bullshit, despite the overwhelming majority of illegal drugs still coming in through ports and border crossings. When they say fentanyl smuggling is a big problem though, they're not wrong - much as it pains me to type that.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Fentanyl is too strong to use on it's own, using minut amounts of it to compensate for cutting product with other non narcotic ingredients is usually how people get exposed to it, far as I know.

Yes, fentanyl is an adulterant used to make other drugs appear more potent so they can be sold for more money. There is simply no profit in giving it away or tainting other medications with it.

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
Wait, if the wrappers are just used for smuggling do I still need to be worried about the herioin filled condoms or cocaine coffee? And I can't use drugs that are shipped in car gas tanks to rid myself of fossil fuels?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
TBF, the drugs in candy thing went around every fall when I was a kid religion. They really didn’t want you trick or treating.

its Nice to see regressives holding on to the values like scare tactics. Good job!

Reactions: Zorba