Rocket League

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I bought this game on sale from humble bundle because I've heard such good things about it.
I'm not into sports at all, and while i can appreciate cars, for me they will only be for getting from A to B. I'll never have a cool car, lol.

Anyway, this game is super hard! And trying to play in the matchmaking online is ridiculous. I get put against teams that I can only explain as some kind of guild or clan, because they seem to be working ridiculously well together, know all kinds of weird moves, and totally destroy my team (not even getting a single goal) vs like 5 goals for them. meanwhile my team rarely ever has control of the ball, let a lone scoring goals.

I know I just started and I suck and don't know the ins and outs, but seriously, is everyone else godly at this game and there's no chance to matched with other beginners or low skill players?

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
I eflt like you when I first started playing too, it seemed like it would be fun to win so I just kept playing and eventually a switch flipped and I finally got it. I think theres just an incredibly steep learning curve to this game, and I still dont really understand how flipping backwards is supposed to work.....

renz20003

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2011
I bought this game on sale from humble bundle because I've heard such good things about it.
I'm not into sports at all, and while i can appreciate cars, for me they will only be for getting from A to B. I'll never have a cool car, lol.

Anyway, this game is super hard! And trying to play in the matchmaking online is ridiculous. I get put against teams that I can only explain as some kind of guild or clan, because they seem to be working ridiculously well together, know all kinds of weird moves, and totally destroy my team (not even getting a single goal) vs like 5 goals for them. meanwhile my team rarely ever has control of the ball, let a lone scoring goals.

I know I just started and I suck and don't know the ins and outs, but seriously, is everyone else godly at this game and there's no chance to matched with other beginners or low skill players?

The first time you bicycle kick a goal it will be a zen like moment.

Try playing offline against bots until you grasp how movement works.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
yea it's a simple game to play but near impossible to master just because of how fast it moves at times. i got pretty good at it toward the beginning of this year but, like anything, you'll have great matches and not so great matches. you just gotta keep playing and find a control scheme that works for you. the timing is pretty hard to get down but once you do you'll likely feel like you're a more vital component. i think there's a practice mode too, just you and a ball, so you could also do that and learn how to chase & retrieve the ball from different angles.

my biggest issue was jumping toward the ball and completely missing 8 out of 10 times. just keep at it; you can't really get worse. I HEAVILY recommend getting used to toggling and using the ball cam (locks onto the ball at all times). this is super useful no matter where you are on the field.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
yea it's a simple game to play but near impossible to master just because of how fast it moves at times. i got pretty good at it toward the beginning of this year but, like anything, you'll have great matches and not so great matches. you just gotta keep playing and find a control scheme that works for you. the timing is pretty hard to get down but once you do you'll likely feel like you're a more vital component. i think there's a practice mode too, just you and a ball, so you could also do that and learn how to chase & retrieve the ball from different angles.

my biggest issue was jumping toward the ball and completely missing 8 out of 10 times. just keep at it; you can't really get worse. I HEAVILY recommend getting used to toggling and using the ball cam (locks onto the ball at all times). this is super useful no matter where you are on the field.

I completely agree, the ball cam is essentially required.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I just played this for the first time today. It's fun, but the physics is weird and it kept matching us against Pro and Veteran players, which was unfair. We got a few wins though.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Ok never saw this thread... I've been addicted to this game for 2yrs now. I hit Champ last season and own it on both XB1 and PC... it's so much better on PC I quit playing it on console for the most part.

Anyway, I'm still nowhere near the best, but the game is still addicting to play for an hour or so per day. I have about 900hrs on XB1 and around 500 on PC.

EDIT:

A few tips for PC players:

1 - Definitely find a comfortable control scheme
2 - Turn off VSync or any other settings that might cause controller delay... it will help your accuracy immensely.
3 - If you get addicted like I did, you'll want 120hz refresh+ if you don't have it already, it helps a lot in this game.