Question Rocket League Youtube

swanysto

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
DISCLAIMER: If it makes sense to buy a prebuilt computer, I am fine with that. I just don't really know what is needed.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
My son wants to make youtube videos of him playing rocket league as a hobby. He would be playing on xbox, so I am guessing some sort of card to connect the xbox and the computer.
I am decent enough at creating videos, but I am not experienced at all with getting the gaming footage, so I will have to learn that, but I need a computer/hardware that can handle it.
I have not built a computer in a LONG time, so I haven't kept up with CPU's/GPUs/etc.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
Not exactly sure, I would like to stay in the 500 range(just the computer, no monitor or peripherals). Will go up to $800-$900 if I have to. And then I will need a recommendation on a card to
hook to xbox.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
USA

4. IF you're buying parts OUTSIDE the US, please post a link to the vendor you'll be buying from.
We can't be expected to scour the internet on your behalf, chasing down deals in your specific country... Again, help us, help YOU.

5. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.
No preference, but knock on wood, I have been using Crucial SSD's for a long time now and never had an issue, and they are all still going after many years.

6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
I don't have anything to use at the moment except peripherals.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
No overclocking.

8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?
will be using the tv

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Note that it is usually not cost or time effective to choose your build more than a month before you actually plan to be using it.
I will collect parts over the next month.

10. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system, such as Windows or Blu Ray playback software?
Do not include in this budget, but eventually, yes.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
I'm no expert at this but I like to help so here goes, perhaps we'll learn together.

So just to be clear, this PC will be used only to capture the game play from the Xbox? Or do you also plan to use the PC for gaming, streaming or video editing? That would probably change the build a bit.

It looks like there are multiple ways you can do this. One is to use a capture card on the PC and that would use a cable from the Xbox to the PC. This will allow you to capture gameplay, game audio, and any audio from your son and his teammates. You can also capture gameplay and game audio without a capture card (looks like it uses your network to transmit the gameplay) but you will lose the other audio. See the video below for how to set up game capture without a capture card:

This would make the initial investment cheaper, but not as versatile. Of course you could always add a capture card later. It is also possible to capture gameplay with an external drive connected to the Xbox directly, without a computer, but I believe you are limited to the length of recording.

Reactions: swanysto