rock-solid 802.11g router suggestions

Blues X

Oct 25, 2002
I need to replace a Netgear MR314 wireless router, as this one is having problems resolving DNS addresses (needs to be reset MANY times each day, hope to reset it with a baseball bat soon).

I'd like to go ahead and get an 802.11g router since they aren't too much more than the B routers anymore.

I've been reading some horror stories over at dslreports.com about some of the Dlink and Linksys 802.11g routers (problems with the router cutting off wireless access, or reseting the wireless connection every minute or so, resetting each time a cordless phone rings, etc, etc). Specifically I was looking at the Dlink DI-624 and the Linksys WRT54G. Since I only bought my NetGear last January, and it's already not supported by them anymore, I'd rather not give Netgear any more of my money.

There's a new Dlink, the DI-514. But I've already read one account where it cut off access for a game running the Quake engine (RTCW: Enemy Territory), so the firmware may not be "all there" just yet.

So, if anyone can suggest a good, reliable, solid router for me, it would be greatly appreciated. Here's what I need it to do (I'm using Win XP with SBCGlobal DSL):

- share files between a wireless Win XP laptop (currently using a Netgear 802.11b card, don't know the model off the top of my head) and wired XP desktop (yeah, this should be a given, but I've read accounts where people could not do this with some routers; they might be boneheads, not sure)

- play online games (such as BF1942, UT2004 demo, Q3, Half-Life, etc, etc)

- work with Xbox Live

- work with VPN (don't use VPN much, but I do use it ocassionally)

Any and all suggestions of either products you suggest or products you suggest to avoid at all costs are appreciated.

Blues X

Oct 25, 2002
from what else I've read this afternoon, it looks like any of the routers that claim to have 108mbps speed are having lots of issues.

I'll steer away from those.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Abzstrak
Cisco Aironet 1100... 802.11g and defintely rock solid

Link to Cisco
It's also $400.
rolleye.gif

ktwebb

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 1999
Except the guy wants a router with wireless capabilities. Cisco's wireless gear doesn't route. Not to mention it's just a poor suggestion. When guys ask for switch suggestions for their home you don't recommend a Catalyst 2950. Even if Cisco had Router/AP combo's it would be out of place to recommend it to this fella. He wants to replace a netgear SOHO device. In the SOHO market you can pretty much throw a dart at a pile of boxes. For the money Jack's link to the DLink router is about as good as you'll get.

onelin

Dec 11, 2001
I have the d-link. I think I've reset it once since I got it, 1-2 months ago...and even that could've been my cable.

Blues X

Oct 25, 2002
onelin0,

Do you have the 624?

I've been looking for info on the Dlink 524. It looks like the 624 w/o the 'Extreme G' speed (and from what I've read, the extra speed setting is what's causing all the problems).

Unfortunately, it's so new there's not much info available on it yet.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Quote: ?U get what you pay for...?.

?Like Out of Sight out of Mind? & ?Absent make the Heart Grow Fonder?.

Or.

?You can not Teach an Old Dog New Tricks? but ?Never too Old to learn?.

Cisco is a 100mW radio. Entry Level is >50mW.

It is a different Category.

AFB

Lifer
Jan 10, 2004
Originally posted by: JackMDS
Quote: ?U get what you pay for...?.

?Like Out of Sight out of Mind? & ?Absent make the Heart Grow Fonder?.

Or.

?You can not Teach an Old Dog New Tricks? but ?Never too Old to learn?.

Cisco is a 100mW radio. Entry Level is >50mW.

It is a different Category.

He did say the most stable without setting a price limit. :D

ktwebb

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 1999
He also said he wanted a router. That rules out any Cisco wireless product. You could probably find a 340 with a 30 mW radio, or you could try to find an older AP4800 Aironet AP, 100 mW's for a relatively good price. Doesn't matter to the poster though as he want's a r-o-u-t-e-r-.

AFB

Lifer
Jan 10, 2004
Originally posted by: ktwebb
He also said he wanted a router. That rules out any Cisco wireless product. You could probably find a 340 with a 30 mW radio, or you could try to find an older AP4800 Aironet AP, 100 mW's for a relatively good price. Doesn't matter to the poster though as he want's a r-o-u-t-e-r-.

SOHO router + Wireless AP = Wireless Router. :D

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: amdfanboySOHO router + Wireless AP = Wireless Router. :D
Nope. :(

Entry Level Wired Router + SOHO Accees Point = Better Wireless Cable/DSL Router. :beer: