Rock bands of the 90's

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Flaming Lips

Blur...(atleast in the US)

Mogwai(sp?) was great, but that little Blur stinks t shirt was by far the dumbest PR stunt ever.

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: davestar
Tripping Daisy - remember "I've Got A Girl"? catchy, but probably one of the worst tracks off "Elastic Firecracker". similar to Jane's Addiction, but actually good.

I had never heard much Tripping Daisy until I got into Polyphonic Spree. Pretty darn good stuff.

Hammerhead

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2001
Originally posted by: CptObvious
A bunch of great UK bands never got much recognition in the US...Pulp, Suede, My Bloody Valentine, Blur and The Verve (other than Song 2 and Bittersweet Symphony).

I can't believe you forgot The Stone Roses...the greatest band that never was

I'd have to add Adorable as well

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Buck Armstrong
TOADIES.

"Tyler" is simply one of the best songs I've ever heard.

Hell yes. I loved all of rubberneck, but everyone else didn't even know the correct name to their one hit single and I couldn't figure out why I was the only one that loved them.

I thought they were gone for good, couple years ago they put out hell below stars above and then the band broke up shortly afterwards. Amazing album, perfect follow up. Took the same style, perfected it and ran with it. I really would have liked to see them live.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: davestar
glad to hear so many mentions of Toadies. Some others:

Hum - maybe you remember "Stars" from "You'd Prefer An Astronaut", but their following album "Heavenward is Downward" is one of the best albums from the late 90's. can't believe it sold less than 15,000 copies

Tripping Daisy - remember "I've Got A Girl"? catchy, but probably one of the worst tracks off "Elastic Firecracker". similar to Jane's Addiction, but actually good.

Shudder To Think - "X-French Tee Shirt" was their only (minor) hit. quirky band, kinda reminds me of:

Faith No More - amazing

Dandelion - "Weird Out" was a sweet song. trippy nirvana-esque

90's Incubus should've gotten more attention (S.C.I.E.N.C.E. and Enjoy Incubus were damn good). stupid, but not surprising, that "Wish You Were Here" and "Warning" were some of their biggest hits, when "Certain Shade of Green" and "Glass" go unnoticed.

From what I remember, that second Hum album was pretty good indeed. Only heard it at a friend's house, and never got around to picking up a copy. I do have the first one, though.

And for the record, Live sucked. The Toadies were cool, but I never heard their second album.

davestar

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2001
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
From what I remember, that second Hum album was pretty good indeed. Only heard it at a friend's house, and never got around to picking up a copy. I do have the first one, though.

Heavenward is Downward is actualy their 4th album, ...Astronaut is their 3rd.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Some great bands listed. I'm surprised people put Snot and Machine Head. I like both of them.

Hum was another great band in the '90's. I saw them open for Toadies and Bush..they blew those other bands away.

FAR is one of the most underrated bands from the 90's. Their music was awesome but they didn't sell squat.

Failure - Wonderful band. It's a shame they broke up.

God Lives Underwater - Another good band that just didn't get enough credit.

Corrosion of Conformity - I'm really glad these guys got back together! Awesome new album

Quicksand -Good band from the 90's.

Self - My fav local band :) Had a song on the Shrek soundtrack. Unfortunately Dreamworks sold their music division and they were cut from the roster.

vix9

Apr 28, 2005
Regarding the Live comments, they are one of my favorite bands, and I have been following them for quite some time. Don't confuse "spirituality" with "Christianity". There are plenty of non-Christians who disagree with the wars we are currently fighting.

As for the most underratted band of the '90's...How about Ice-T and Body Count. Not that I was a huge fan, or even "a fan", but they kickstarted the whole Rap/Rock trend about 8 years ahead of time.

Maetryx

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
It seems to me (and some music journalists on allmusic) that King's X should have been bigger than they were/are. And since I do listen to Christian music, I'll add Circle of Dust as a band/guy that was easily good enough in the 90's for mainstream attention. Actually, one of his tunes did get onto an MTV extreme sports show or something back then.

For the Chirstianphobes, you should know that Circle of Dust's Scott Albert changed his name to Klayton, gave up doing Christian music and released an album under the name Celldweller a couple years ago.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: vix9
Regarding the Live comments, they are one of my favorite bands, and I have been following them for quite some time. Don't confuse "spirituality" with "Christianity". There are plenty of non-Christians who disagree with the wars we are currently fighting.

As for the most underratted band of the '90's...How about Ice-T and Body Count. Not that I was a huge fan, or even "a fan", but they kickstarted the whole Rap/Rock trend about 8 years ahead of time.

Yeah forget about Run DMC / Aerosmith, Beastie Boys, Rage Against The Machine and countless others.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: LikeLinus
Some great bands listed. I'm surprised people put Snot and Machine Head. I like both of them.

I've got one GLU album (Life in the So-Called Space Age) and I dig it. Never come across any of their others, otherwise I would have picked them up.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
My reasons for saying Live sucks have nothing to do with spirituality or christianity, I just don't like them.

Yeah forget about Run DMC / Aerosmith, Beastie Boys, Rage Against The Machine and countless others.

Heh, you took the words right out of my mouth.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: nakedfrog

I've got one GLU album (Life in the So-Called Space Age) and I dig it. Never come across any of their others, otherwise I would have picked them up.

They have an EP, a Self Titled Album, Life in the So-Called Space Age, and a new album called Up off the Floor. They didn't actually get back together. Those songs were recorded after LITSCSA, but never released.

Life in the So called...is a bit different from the EP and S/T. They S/T is heavier guitars and more towards industrial sized of hard rock than pop. They are all great albums though.

vix9

Apr 28, 2005

Ok, well listen to Walk This Way, or any Beastie Boys album and tell me if they even fit into the same type of genre as Body Count. I'm not discounted the others you mentioned, but we were talking about underrated, right? They are all great artists.

Now, maybe for another underrated band, how about Barenaked Ladies. I don't think they get the credit they deserve for being a great, tight band. Anybody else ever see them live?

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001

Ok, well listen to Walk This Way, or any Beastie Boys album and tell me if they even fit into the same type of genre as Body Count. I'm not discounted the others you mentioned, but we were talking about underrated, right? They are all great artists.

Now, maybe for another underrated band, how about Barenaked Ladies. I don't think they get the credit they deserve for being a great, tight band. Anybody else ever see them live?

My comments were NOT on the fact they are/aren't underrated. My comments were on the fact they "kickstarted the whole Rap/Rock trend about 8 years ahead of time." Which is obviously not true. Not in the least.

Heck even Anthrax did it with Public Enemy 1 year before BodyCount was around.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003

To say that Ice-T & Body Count kickstarted the rap/rock trainwreck is incorrect. If you had said that Ice-T/Body Count sounded like Run-DMC/Aerosmith then you would be correct.

Run-DMC's cover of Walk This Way (w/ Aerosmith) was on their Raising Hell album (1986)

Body Count's debut album was in 1992.

Run-DMC Raising Hell

Body Count

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: TheAdvocate
I guess I'm into repeating other posters:

1. Jeff Buckley - did anyone ever see Duncan Sheik on that VH1 best list show? He listed a Buckley tune as the 2nd best song of the 90's. (Radiohead's Fake Plastic Trees was his #1, I think). He won major points with me with that list. See previous comments about Jeff burning himself out, else he would be the definitive vocalist of the generation, and widely respected as one of the best guitarists and a pretty damn good songwriter too.

I heard about him on an episode of Edgewise with John Hockenberry that aired right after he died and was mesmerized. I've never heard any other voice as beautiful.

vix9

Apr 28, 2005
Fair enough. Rap/Rock was never really my thing. Although I never said started. Kickstarting to me pushes a trend faster, not exactly meaning they did the groundbreaking. So, I apologize for the misinterpreted comment...

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I don't think Eve's Plum got the recognition they should have. Their first album kinda fell apart half-way through (kinda like Poe's debut) but the second album was great (also like Poe, but that album wasn't until '01). Of course after they broke up the singer came back as Vitamin C.

Bleh, can't stand those guys either. I think it's mostly the vocals, though.

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
Body Count sucked. Only reason most people have heard of them was because of Cop Killer. Seriously, it was not a good band and not a good record.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: royaldank
Body Count sucked. Only reason most people have heard of them was because of Cop Killer. Seriously, it was not a good band and not a good record.

Very much agreed. They didn't kickstart anything cause they just sucked :D

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: royaldank

That one song cracks me up though...
"My friend's addicted to cocaaiiiinne" :p