Rock bands of the 90's

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IndieSnob

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Nomada
Originally posted by: IndieSnob
Originally posted by: Nomada
Urge Overkill is pure rock. Check out Saturation.

Heh. They covered one of my roommates songs on their Stull EP.

What track # there Snob. Man, that's almost pullin' into the Eighties. Good stuff though ugh? Manic Street Preachers are damn fine, right on par with The Verve.

It would be track #3, Stitches In My Head. My roommate fronted one of the earlier punk bands in NYC during the 70's.

NiteWulf

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2003
Eve 6

(late 90s till now? I don't really know how popular they were/are elsewhere, but it seems that hardly anyone around here has heard of them.)

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Buck Armstrong
TOADIES.

"Tyler" is simply one of the best songs I've ever heard.

I went to their concert. Best concert I've ever been to. They were great in person.

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003
Snot.. similar to Blind Melon, the lead singer died when they got their start and they never did get too famous.

I'd also say Sublime. Although they were quite popular for a while, such a great band could've gone on to do much more.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Coquito
Blind Melon was over a couple years in. They didn't have a fair shot. :(
Live was TOO christian.
Overkill became typecasted in my mind regarding Pulp Fiction, & I never looked at them again.

so if a rock band it TOO christian that is a bad thing? cmon.

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: SWScorch
Days of the New!

Saw the singer/guitarist on Intervention last week. Seemed like a good guy but his meth usage is out of control. He is such a waste now. He actually did end up getting on the flight and going to rehab. However, he quit roughly 78 days later and still has "relapses although he trying to kick it." Wasted opportunity. He seemed like a genuienly nice guy and wrote some good music.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
I guess I'm into repeating other posters:

1. Jeff Buckley - did anyone ever see Duncan Sheik on that VH1 best list show? He listed a Buckley tune as the 2nd best song of the 90's. (Radiohead's Fake Plastic Trees was his #1, I think). He won major points with me with that list. See previous comments about Jeff burning himself out, else he would be the definitive vocalist of the generation, and widely respected as one of the best guitarists and a pretty damn good songwriter too.

2. Elliott Smith - needn't say anymore. I know he has fans here too.

I was gonna say something line with Urge Overkill, Afghan Whigs, Dinosaur Jr., etc, but honestly, those bands had their shot and didnt capitalize. They were media darlings for a while. Same with folks like Matthew Sweet (who aped the Big Star popwer pop sound to great effect), Belly/Tanya Donnelly and dozens more.

I dont know how anyone can say a band like Blind Melon, Nirvana & Live. Live sold millions of records, sat on top of the alt-rock universe for a year or so, and then surrendered their spot like a hundred bands before them. Yeah Shannon Hoon (BM) and Kurt Cobain died, but not before their bands were famous.

Re: TOADIES

Yes, TYLER was an amazing song that still resonates. I wasnt a huge fan of their other stuff, but Tyler was just f$cking awesome. Chillingly dark and absolutely r0xx3rS j0o!!

I stumble in the hallway
outside her bedroom door
I hear her call out to me
I hear the fear in her voice

She pulls the covers tighter
I press against the door

I will be with her tonight!

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Live was TOO christian.

Never heard anyone say that, most christians I know would probably object to the language & some of the subject matter.

I'd like to know what you think is "christian" about them.

Viper GTS

Coquito was right....

http://www.christianitytoday.com/music/glimpses/2003/birdsofpray.html

http://www.kaleochurch.com/culture/article.php?content=Live.html&type=music

From allmusic.com:

"Live rose to chart success on the strength of its anthemic music and idealistic, overtly spiritual songwriting, two hallmarks which earned the group frequent comparisons to U2...."

davestar

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2001
glad to hear so many mentions of Toadies. Some others:

Hum - maybe you remember "Stars" from "You'd Prefer An Astronaut", but their following album "Heavenward is Downward" is one of the best albums from the late 90's. can't believe it sold less than 15,000 copies

Tripping Daisy - remember "I've Got A Girl"? catchy, but probably one of the worst tracks off "Elastic Firecracker". similar to Jane's Addiction, but actually good.

Shudder To Think - "X-French Tee Shirt" was their only (minor) hit. quirky band, kinda reminds me of:

Faith No More - amazing

Dandelion - "Weird Out" was a sweet song. trippy nirvana-esque

90's Incubus should've gotten more attention (S.C.I.E.N.C.E. and Enjoy Incubus were damn good). stupid, but not surprising, that "Wish You Were Here" and "Warning" were some of their biggest hits, when "Certain Shade of Green" and "Glass" go unnoticed.

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: davestar
glad to hear so many mentions of Toadies. Some others:

Hum - maybe you remember "Stars" from "You'd Prefer An Astronaut", but their following album "Heavenward is Downward" is one of the best albums from the late 90's. can't believe it sold less than 15,000 copies

Tripping Daisy - remember "I've Got A Girl"? catchy, but probably one of the worst tracks off "Elastic Firecracker". similar to Jane's Addiction, but actually good.

Shudder To Think - "X-French Tee Shirt" was their only (minor) hit. quirky band, kinda reminds me of:

Faith No More - amazing

Dandelion - "Weird Out" was a sweet song. trippy nirvana-esque

90's Incubus should've gotten more attention (S.C.I.E.N.C.E. and Enjoy Incubus were damn good). stupid, but not surprising, that "Wish You Were Here" and "Warning" were some of their biggest hits, when "Certain Shade of Green" and "Glass" go unnoticed.

Good list! I remember going to Tripping Daisy shows in Dallas. They'd cram hundreds of people into Trees, you couldn't fall over because it was packed so tight. I still have the ticket stub from a show where Course of Empire opened for them. Good times. :)

They shoulda re-mixed their first album before its major release, though, it maybe would've had some national hits then (Blown Away, My Umbrella, One through Four) . They played the crap out of them on Dallas radio at the time.

Dandelion was pretty cool too, I just found their first album in the used bin a week or two ago.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Live was TOO christian.

Never heard anyone say that, most christians I know would probably object to the language & some of the subject matter.

I'd like to know what you think is "christian" about them.

Viper GTS

generally, yeah. Live was a band that belived very deeply in chritisanity. If you ever heard the lead singer talk about war, you then agree.