Robocop (1987) question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
What the fuck are you on about? Terminator 2 and Aliens were both superior to their predecessors.
Yeah, those are great sequels. Better than the originals, arguably, but you will find plenty of folks who would say otherwise, at least for The Terminator. I avoid most sequels. I liked some of the Bourne sequels, I hear the last one sucks, won't be seeing it. I think it was Robocop 2 that I didn't care for, possibly 3, but I think 2... the one with the kid-creep criminal.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I consider this one to be highly debatable. Someone who prefers the original Alien is invariably a true film enthusiast. I prefer the original Alien, but it's a completely different kind of movie. I can certainly see why the majority of people would prefer the sequel, Aliens. You could argue that the sequel's formula having greater mass appeal means it's better...at many things.

The Terminator vs Terminator 2: Judgement Day isn't so controversial. Again, they are not the same kind of movie. The first movie was pretty damn good when you consider the smaller budget. It exceeded expectations for sure. While big budgets don't always make for great films, the second one far exceeded anyone's expectations and is one of the greatest action films of all time.
It has its weaknesses. The chase scenes in the factory, they strung that out way too long without injecting something else into that formula. Very different movies, yes.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Damn... Did you know that Bob Morton died, in real life, last month?

Only found out because his name popped up on IMDB on his birthday.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001208/

Only 61, that sucks. I didn't even recognize him. He had a hell of a career though. Latest work was on NCIS: Los Angeles as a regular. Over a hundred episodes of Crossing Jordan, 123 actor credits.

Sep 29, 2004
Sequels are almost always trash. It's very rare to find a sequel that equals or betters the original. Remakes are nearly always bad, too.

AVP 2 much better than AVP 1. Not hard though considering that AVP 1 didn't deserve a sequel it was so bad.

Sep 29, 2004
I consider this one to be highly debatable. Someone who prefers the original Alien is invariably a true film enthusiast. I prefer the original Alien, but it's a completely different kind of movie. I can certainly see why the majority of people would prefer the sequel, Aliens. You could argue that the sequel's formula having greater mass appeal means it's better...at many things.

The Terminator vs Terminator 2: Judgement Day isn't so controversial. Again, they are not the same kind of movie. The first movie was pretty damn good when you consider the smaller budget. It exceeded expectations for sure. While big budgets don't always make for great films, the second one far exceeded anyone's expectations and is one of the greatest action films of all time.

Alien 1 - horror movie
Alien 2 - action movie

Not even the same genre.

T1 - Sci Fi
T2 - Action based in sci fi