RMA replacement SSD drive

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by KentState, Dec 19, 2012.

1. KentState

KentState Diamond Member

I originally purchased an OCZ Vertex 120GB back in 2008. Since then, the drive and replacements have failed 3 times across two different machines. The RMA was not being processed so when I inquired they stated that the original Vertex was out of stock and a Vertex 3 would be sent as a replacement. Should I even bother trying to use this as an OS drive or sell it?

2. Loading...

3. groberts101

groberts101 Golden Member

If you'd list your hardware and intended usage pattern?.. I'd be willing to give you my dirty penny on the matter.

4. ryderOCZ

ryderOCZ Senior member

The warranty is also only 3 years, if you purchased in 2008, your warranty has expired. Email me the details of your RMA. eryder at ocztechnology dot com.

Thank you.

5. groberts101

groberts101 Golden Member

wow!.. that's quite the warranty service and then some. lol

6. KentState

KentState Diamond Member

Actually, I was off by a year. It was purchased originally in 2009, but the last replacement didn't last more than 2 months. I don't know what the usage pattern will be on this last replacement. I purchased a Crucial M4 to replace it so this will be a spare. I may put it in my laptop which gets turned on a few times a week to check posts or email before work.

7. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Diamond Member

You did the right thing, ocz may have expanded the SSD market but their drives are not worth the pain and suffering.

8. Elixer

Elixer Diamond Member

You rarely see any threads about their new products having issues anymore.

The old ones did have issues, but IIRC, sandforce finally fixed most, if not all the issues. Heck, even intel used sandforce, so it isn't as bad anymore as some people make it out to be.

OCZ still has great RMA service.

9. josephjpeters

josephjpeters Member

Just take a look at Amazon and newegg reviews as "proof". It's night and day compared to previous products.

10. ronbo613

ronbo613 Golden Member

As a former OCZ Vertex 2 owner who has experienced this "great RMA service", I have to disagree with that statement.
    I would advise the OP to go with a more reliable SSD manufacturer.

11. KentState

KentState Diamond Member

I decided that I will use the Vertex 3 in a dual boot configuration and run Windows 8 on it.

12. Koing

Koing Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F

My mate bought the Vertex 2 a few months ago and it died after a months usage. I went with the Samsung 830 myself. Waiting for it to arrive so I can put it in my 2008 Macbook.

Koing

13. tweakboy

tweakboy Diamond Member

Nice choice of SSD. With latest firmware look at this money shot. 830 isnt even that fast. they release kick but firmware that makes the thing faster look. 040H ....... btw the write speeds are drunk I know it can go faster then that. Initially the M4 series was touted as I believe 460mbps unless Im wrong and it was 480mbps... I did another run at test and it was 536mbps.... :)

[​IMG]

14. ronbo613

ronbo613 Golden Member

I replaced the Vertex 2 with a Samsung 830. No problems at all. Sure, a certain percentage of any product will be defective, but I think you will be happy with the 830.