RMA P4 1.6A...how should I go about?

HonkeyDonk

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
Hey,

My CPU recently died. It was a P4 1.6A. I have the stock HS/F but I don't have the box or anything else. What would be the best way to go about RMAing this dead CPU? I know some of you have done this before and I would like to go about a hassle-free return. Thanks.

HD.

-if tihs is in wrong forum...please move

MSantiago

Aug 7, 2002
A friend of mine did the same thing. He just called Intel (sorry, don't know it off the top of my head) and they asked him for his CPU's S-spec and serial number. Apparently almost all of the 1.6As out there have the retail S-specs (even the OEM ones) and carry a 1 year warranty at the very least. You just need to send them your original CPU and HSF and they'll send you a brand new one. You just need to make sure that you didn't fry your 1.6A or do anything else to it that would void your warranty.

HonkeyDonk

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
cool, thanks.

well the weird thing is that the night beofre the CPU died, it was wroking perfectly...i shut down, and the next morning, it would not boot.

I tested the chip in my bro's comp and it didn't boot up either.

I was OCing it, but I do'nt think it got fried b/c of that (hopefully not) cuz the temp of the cpu was always at a reasonable level (low 40's C)

Thanks for the help.

I checked intel's website...and they don't have a 1800 number for the CPU department...am I goign to have to call long distance?

MSantiago

Aug 7, 2002
My friend said that the number was buried deep inside their site. Just keep looking around and I'm sure you'll see an RMA number for CPUs. It might not be toll free, but it sure beats having to buy a new CPU.

And yeah, OCing should be just fine. I think they just don't want to see you send in a melted CPU with burn marks. :)

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Just curious, what was the voltage you were running the chip at? Anything over 1.75 is a death sentence from what I read over the past weekend.

HonkeyDonk

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
I had the CPU at default voltage most of the time...but i did try like 1.55 and 1.575 when I tried OCing...nothing over 1.575.

My mobo is not dead b/c I put my CPU into my brothers computer and it didn't boot up either.

I put his working CPU (same kind) and my comp booted up normally...so obvsiouly it was the CPU.

Thx for the help guys. I RMAed this morning, should get a new CPU within the week :)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: MSantiago
My friend said that the number was buried deep inside their site. Just keep looking around and I'm sure you'll see an RMA number for CPUs. It might not be toll free, but it sure beats having to buy a new CPU.

And yeah, OCing should be just fine. I think they just don't want to see you send in a melted CPU with burn marks. :)
No . . . O/Cing is NOT fine . . . with Intel. You even hint you were O/C'ing and your warranty is VOID.

Besides that, Intel is GREAT with their RMAs.

MSantiago

Aug 7, 2002
Originally posted by: apoppin

No . . . O/Cing is NOT fine . . . with Intel. You even hint you were O/C'ing and your warranty is VOID.

If you want to be downright strict and make things black and white, sure, OCing voids your warranty. That means that if you accidentally POST your system with the fsb clocked even 1 MHz higher than spec, then your warranty is VOID. CPUs aren't directly killed by overclocking. They're commonly killed by over volting them or by not having enough cooling.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
usually thermal clock down will come into play with intel p4's. intel p4s rarely die. i think industry RMA rates on intel stuff have always been very low, like 3 times less than AMD even back in the k6 days and probably around the same.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: apoppin

If you want to be downright strict and make things black and white, sure, OCing voids your warranty. That means that if you accidentally POST your system with the fsb clocked even 1 MHz higher than spec, then your warranty is VOID. CPUs aren't directly killed by overclocking. They're commonly killed by over volting them or by not having enough cooling.
"Accidently", huh?
rolleye.gif

FIRSTLY, my response was to the person who said "OCing should be just fine".

Now, let me rephrase my "quote" with a different emphasis:
;)
Same quote. In other words, IF you RMA with Intel it's better not to mention you "tried Turbo mode" - +3% - as a diagnostic.
Notice, I am not advocating lying to them . . . some things are better left unsaid. ;)