Rivian announces the R2, R3, R3X! $45K starting price, 0-60 under 3 secs, 300+ miles range.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Rivian had a special press release for their upcoming vehicles. The R2, R3, and R3X are the names for their new lineup. If their promises hold true these could be cool and affordable cars.

Previously recorded livestream of the new R2.

Some photos of the R3.
gifnzufbwaa-hdt-scaled-jpeg.87469

r3-hero-1-1-jpg.87468

r3_dash-scaled-jpg.87473

r3_backseat-scaled-jpg.87478

Here are a few photos of the R3X which will be the sporty version of the R3.
02_rivian_r3x-scaled-jpg.87452

gifpeeubsaaku7o-jpeg.87456

10_r3x_interior-scaled-jpg.87458

Reactions: Motostu

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
This is what the electric car industry needed. Meanwhile Q Anon Karen Elon was busy designing a clown truck.

I don't think things could be clearer right now.

Reactions: Motostu

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
The obsession with 0-60 time on EVs is stupid, IMHO. Need mass market cars, not more hot rods.

That said these look good. Hopefully they can actually hit the price targets.

Reactions: Brainonska511

Motostu

Oct 5, 2020
I really like what Rivian is doing; I hope they can deliver with reasonable prices. I've pretty much written off Tesla for a variety of reasons, and think Rivian will be high on our list when we look at getting an EV.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I actually kind of like it, it's different but not weird either. It looks like it has half decent ground clearance too which will help with snow, rough roads, bush roads etc. I find lot of non truck EVs tend to be super low to ground, so this is a nice change.

Still a lot of money though, assuming that's USD, that's actually 60k CAD, then add tax, and it's now 67k. They really should try to come up with a no frills basic EV that's like 25k.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Give me Dual Motors, at least 250 miles of range, ideally an LFP battery chemistry I don't have to worry about charging to 100%, and the R3/R3X sounds like a solid EV alternative to my Impreza

Reactions: Elfear

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'm conflicted on the looks of this thing.

Its hitting my nostalga buttons by looking like a mash up of a lot of shitty 70s/80s cars, but that front is just unspeakably hideous!

Reactions: Elfear

Motostu

Oct 5, 2020
I can't unsee the stupid face on the grille on this one, totally ruins it for me ugh damn it.

I'm conflicted on the looks of this thing.

Its hitting my nostalga buttons by looking like a mash up of a lot of shitty 70s/80s cars, but that front is just unspeakably hideous!
Yeah, that's the slight downside for me too, but I could live with it. Not sure why they chose that for their signature look.

Then again, I had a mid-90's Integra (the bug-eyed one), so who am I to judge?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Yeah, that's the slight downside for me too, but I could live with it. Not sure why they chose that for their signature look.

Then again, I had a mid-90's Integra (the bug-eyed one), so who am I to judge?
I suppose that the entire front end of EVs is a bit of a mare to design as all the traditional looks don't need to be there. Hell the entire front end doesn't need to be there now as there isn't a massive, complicated chunk of hot exploding iron there.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I suppose that the entire front end of EVs is a bit of a mare to design as all the traditional looks don't need to be there. Hell the entire front end doesn't need to be there now as there isn't a massive, complicated chunk of hot exploding iron there.
There is still some junk up there and you need crumple zones, but the front still seems excessively long.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I like the dumb face in the front. But then again I have a big thing for the halogen headlight bug eyed cars of old. Old 911s, NA Miata, etc

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I love the look of the R3X. It could be what finally convinces me to get a non-manual transmission car, except that I have no reason to give up my current car. I think it's slightly smaller than what I have now, a 2017 Honda HR-V, which I love and plan to drive into the ground.

I want to see the dimensions of the trunk. It appears slightly larger than my HR-V (at least the opening-size does), so if it has more utility there then it definitely makes it more tempting to upgrade.

Adding charging to my garage would be easy since I already have a 100A subpanel in there. But $45k+, I can't responsibly justify it. Still a really awesome-looking car that I hope takes off, and hopefully starts a trend away from all the massive EVs/SUVs that are so popular.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Looks like Rivian is following Tesla's playbook in a post Tesla world.

Adopted a distinct but almost anti-tesla style. Tesla's are all rounded and blobby, Rivians are all squared off and boxy. Good stylistic contrast.

Smart move with a truck and SUV as initial offerings for the early adopters, whales, and the "I want a status symbol but I also need a truck" crowd. Good high margin niche where they wouldn't get flattened by Tesla right out the gate.

Then once suppliers and logistics etc are all squared away l, work down into more mass market models.

Really liking the R3/x crossover model. Has a sort of "upper middle class" sensibility to it. Not gaudy super soft luxury or Japanese style "mecha" design, but also not Bronco/Jeep "my credit score is in the 500's" either.

Will likely be in th market for a new car (preferably EV) in another 3-4 years so I'd like to see Rivians stick around and provide a solid 30-40K option with these looks.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Looks like Rivian is following Tesla's playbook in a post Tesla world.

Adopted a distinct but almost anti-tesla style. Tesla's are all rounded and blobby, Rivians are all squared off and boxy. Good stylistic contrast.
The ultra blobby ~2006-2020 era styling is disappearing, thank god. Bring back the boxes.

but also not Bronco/Jeep "my credit score is in the 500's" either.

😂 gold.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
I love the look of the R3X. It could be what finally convinces me to get a non-manual transmission car, except that I have no reason to give up my current car. I think it's slightly smaller than what I have now, a 2017 Honda HR-V, which I love and plan to drive into the ground.

While the R3 looks like a classic small hatchback, it isn't. I'm certain it's bigger than the 2017 HR-V.

It's not a compact econobox turned into a CUV. It's an R2 shortened a bit.

The R2 is 185.6"L x 75"W x 66.9"H. I only expect the length to change, and probably only shortened about 10" and that would leave it bigger than your HR-V in every dimension.