Rise of the Tomb Raider patch #7 adds DX12 mGPU, Async Compute support

.vodka

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2014
https://steamcommunity.com/app/391220/discussions/0/358417008720278827/

We have just released the seventh PC patch for Rise of the Tomb Raider, build 1.0.668.1. This patch adds improvements for DX12 multi-GPU support (this includes NVIDIA SLI and AMD CrossFireX), as well as a variety of other fixes. For details please see below.

This patch will be applied by Steam automatically when you next start the game. If your game does not update, please restart the Steam client. If you are using the game on the Window Store, the update will be available in the near future, and will be downloaded by the Store automatically. We will update this thread when the Windows Store patch is live.

We recommend using the following drivers, especially for Multi-GPU:

AMD: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Radeon-Software-Crimson-Edition-16.6.1-Release-Notes.aspx
NVIDIA: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/104726/en-us

This patch includes the following improvements:

• Adds DirectX12 Multi-GPU support. Many of you have requested this, so DirectX 12 now supports NVIDIA SLI and AMD CrossFireX configurations.
  • The benefits of DirectX 12 are still the same, but now you are less likely to be GPU bottlenecked and can reach higher framerates due to the improved CPU utilization DirectX 12 offers.
  • Adds utilization of DirectX 12 Asynchronous Compute, on AMD GCN 1.1 GPUs and NVIDIA Pascal-based GPUs, for improved GPU performance.
  • On the latest Windows 10 version, V-sync can now be disabled (Windows Store version), and behavior of disabled V-sync has been improved (Steam version).
  • Improvements to stereoscopic 3D rendering, including fixes for NIVIDA Surround and AMD Eyefinity in combination with stereoscopic 3D.
  • Improved default settings for certain integrated GPUs.
  • Removes the Voidhammer Shotgun for users that do not have Cold Darkness Awakens DLC or have not yet unlocked it by rescuing prisoners in Cold Darkness Awakens.
  • A fix for a save issue where some game state could get lost in very rare circumstances.
  • This patch force-disables the Steam Overlay when using DirectX 12. This is due to stability issues with the Steam Overlay in combination with DirectX 12. (You can re-enable with the -enablesteamoverlay launch argument)
  • A fix for crashes with VXAO enabled on NVIDIA GTX1080 cards.
  • A variety of other smaller optimizations, bug-fixes, and tweaks.

While we expect this patch to be an improvement for everyone, if you do have trouble with this patch and prefer to stay on the old version we made a Beta available on Steam, Build 647.2, that can be used to switch back to the previous version.

We will keep monitoring for feedback and will release further patches as it seems required. We always welcome your feedback!
SLI and crossfire under DX12 should make framerates go crazy thanks to DX12's little CPU overhead.

Also interesting to (finally!) see async compute support (GCN1.1 only... although it'd be nice to see support for the feature on the entire GCN lineup at some point, it makes sense to initially support GCN1.1 since the consoles are based on this revision) and amusingly only for Pascal... whatever happened to Maxwell's "support" of the feature? :sneaky:

I'm interested to see the effect of async on Pascal, performance should go up under DX12 vs DX11 with this feature.

All in all interesting patch notes, warranting new benchmarks top to bottom. Maybe after seven patches they got DX12 right on this game.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
Does it support cross vendor MGPU? I wonder if they are using the newer simpler version of MGPU in DX12 that Microsoft was talking about or if that is still being worked on.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
Does it support cross vendor MGPU? I wonder if they are using the newer simpler version of MGPU in DX12 that Microsoft was talking about or if that is still being worked on.

"now supports NVIDIA SLI and AMD CrossFireX configurations."

that's a no.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004

I think that has a different name.

Multi-adapter or Explicit Multi-adapter.

It's kind of amusing that it does not support quite a few AMD GCN cards with Async Compute, but does support Pascal. I think it must actually support 1.1 and later GCN cards, and just not 1.0?

Then again, it's only one patch from one game, so it doesn't tell us a whole lot, except that Pascal must support Async Compute after all.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
"now supports NVIDIA SLI and AMD CrossFireX configurations."

that's a no.

Well it also says only GCN 1.1 when its 1.1 and newer.

Also most people understand SLI / CFX but DX12 works very different in how multiple gpu support is handled.

So what I was asking was, has anyone tested it yet.

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
Probably like Total War Warhammer, GCN 1.0 still works in DX12, but with only 2 ACE units the Performance gain is probably small. However the reduction in CPU overhead and lag should still be significant.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Well, now that NVIDIA has its new and faster DX-12 cards (Pascal) launched, they allowed the developers to release a DX-12 patch with Async Compute ;)

It only took them 6 months from original Game PC release :p

Feb 19, 2009
Well, now that NVIDIA has its new and faster DX-12 cards (Pascal) launched, they allowed the developers to release a DX-12 patch with Async Compute ;)

It only took them 6 months from original Game PC release :p

Sorry but you give them too much credit.

They release yet another broken DX12 patch. From benches I've seen, minimum FPS tanks hard with Async Compute enabled. Looks like these guys just can't do DX12 right. Leave it at that. The more they try, the worse it gets.

Thala

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2014
They release yet another broken DX12 patch. From benches I've seen, minimum FPS tanks hard with Async Compute enabled. Looks like these guys just can't do DX12 right. Leave it at that. The more they try, the worse it gets.

Is this different developer than for the XBox One version? I am asking because the XBox One version runs pretty well.

Feb 19, 2009
Is this different developer than for the XBox One version? I am asking because the XBox One version runs pretty well.

Different groups, for the main dev on console build, it's Crystal Dynamics and AFAIK, the PC port is handled by Nixxes.

However, Nixxes also did the port for the previous TR title and Thief with Mantle, so they should be competent. But for some reason, they just can't do a good job with RotTR DX12.

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
Different groups, for the main dev on console build, it's Crystal Dynamics and AFAIK, the PC port is handled by Nixxes.

However, Nixxes also did the port for the previous TR title and Thief with Mantle, so they should be competent. But for some reason, they just can't do a good job with RotTR DX12.

Nixxis should be very competent. The job they did with Thief under Mantle was nothing short of amazing and unrivaled still today by any game in terms of performance, responsiveness, and smoothness.

If something is wrong with TR, I just can't see the Nixxes Devs at fault here with all their combined technical expertise and experience.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016

They worked with AMD on the first TR and Thief, and Nvidia for ROTTR... two were great ports and the last, not so much.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012

I think Nixxes also handled the Xbox 360 port, which was highly praised considering the platform...

but I agree, the Rise of the Tomb Raider PC port looks less than ideal, not as good as the 2013 Tomb Raider

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Same developer,

Thief Mantle (AMD Gaming Evolved) was a good implementation, worked good day 1.

Rise Of The Tomb Rider DX-12 (NVIDIA GameWorks, even after 6 months after PC launch and it still cannot work as it should.

Edit: Just for the now locked CrossFire RX-480 vs GTX 1070 thread,

Latest Rise of The Tomb Rider DX-12 patch allows Multi-GPU now. I would really like to see benchs on that.

Last edited:

PhonakV30

Oct 26, 2009
well , Biggest question is :

Why did Nvidia allow them to add Async compute to Gameworks title ?

antihelten

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
did amd gain in the benchmarks now ?

Yes the performance appear to have increased a great deal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX5MupUoFN4&t=2m45s

This is only a 7850, so the improvements from adding async compute is not included (only compatible with GCN 1.1 or higher).

The 7850 goes from having DX12 perform 25-30% slower than DX11 on patch #6, to now performing between 5% slower and 5% faster than DX11 on patch #7.

Still not perfect (DX12 should preferably be at least as fast as DX11 at all settings), but close. And again this doesn't include any performance boost from async compute.

dacostafilipe

Oct 10, 2013
Where are all the Pascal benchmarks with Async on/off?

With the first (!) game/benchmark we can use to test this out, I would think that more people would jump on this ...

Mar 10, 2006
Where are all the Pascal benchmarks with Async on/off?

With the first (!) game/benchmark we can use to test this out, I would think that more people would jump on this ...

Using the canned benchmark, all settings maxed out (HBAO+ ambient occlusion in both DX11 and DX12) I get 128.58 fps in DX12 mode, 103.5 FPS in DX11 mode. Nice speedup. Using 1080 SLI.