Ripping Movie Library

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
I finished my utility server on the weekend and one of it's primary uses is for ripping DVD's and Bluray's. I'm using MakeMKV to rip the disks and Handbrake for converting as I've always done in the past.

However, for some reason, I can't get Handbrake to convert some of the Blu-rays. My first thought was copy protection, but given I was able to make the MKV without issue, that didn't seem to make sense. Then I thought it was some of the extra online crap (Disney Blu-ray) but I was able to convert other BD+ titles without issue.

Ideas? Or is there a better way of doing it these days?

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
I finished my utility server on the weekend and one of it's primary uses is for ripping DVD's and Bluray's. I'm using MakeMKV to rip the disks and Handbrake for converting as I've always done in the past.

However, for some reason, I can't get Handbrake to convert some of the Blu-rays. My first thought was copy protection, but given I was able to make the MKV without issue, that didn't seem to make sense. Then I thought it was some of the extra online crap (Disney Blu-ray) but I was able to convert other BD+ titles without issue.

Ideas? Or is there a better way of doing it these days?

It probably is DRM. MakeMKV is a useful tool, but will still struggle with newer BRs. Do the .mkv files work straight out of MakeMKV? What's happening when you load the .mkv files into Handbrake?

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
It probably is DRM. MakeMKV is a useful tool, but will still struggle with newer BRs. Do the .mkv files work straight out of MakeMKV? What's happening when you load the .mkv files into Handbrake?

Make MKV works perfectly. I can play the MKV file all of the way though on multiple PC's. I load the MKV file into Handbrake, click start. It's starts the process for like 1 second, then just stops. Log doesn't indicate any error nor does any message comes up. It behaves like you told it to stop the process.

I'll check out ripbot.

To give more specifics, Pirates: On Stranger Tides produces the above behavior. Skyfall works perfectly.

Last edited:

jkauff

Oct 4, 2012
You could try running the MKV file through mkvmerge first. I've also found that Handbrake has problems with some MKV files, and remuxing usually corrects the problem. Are you using the latest stable release (0.9.9.1 I think) or the nightlies?

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
Make MKV works perfectly. I can play the MKV file all of the way though on multiple PC's. I load the MKV file into Handbrake, click start. It's starts the process for like 1 second, then just stops. Log doesn't indicate any error nor does any message comes up. It behaves like you told it to stop the process.

I'll check out ripbot.

To give more specifics, Pirates: On Stranger Tides produces the above behavior. Skyfall works perfectly.

I don't know the ins and outs of video codecs and containers but I do know that there are certain compliance standard problems that commonly occur. It may be that MakeMKV is ripping 'out of spec' and Handbrake won't recognize. You might want to try ripping with DVDFab instead of MakeMKV or as someone else suggested, try converting with RipBot264. File requirements are often different between software and what works with one program may not work with another.

Ripping and converting is often more of an art than a science.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Have you checked the box for large file sizes in HB? I use MakeMKV to break them then HB to rip to mp4. I originally had to use ripbot once MakeMKV was finished for really large files because HB didn't work right. But I tried checking the large file size box and I've had no problems since. Kind of a "duh" moment for me but it's been working since.